Let's build some bankroll - who's with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would one of you mind explaining these numbers? TIA
The numbers mean: VPIP% (Voluntarily Put in Pot) / PFR% (Preflop Raise) / Aggression Factor

Progress Update

Day 93: 184% ($3,675)

Day 94: 110% ($2,205)
Day 95: 231% ($4,626)

I've been playing a mix of NL400 and NL200 the entire day. Since I had to start with only 2K, I initally played "only" two tables of NL400. By the end of the day I was playing NL400 exclusively.

Fortunately for me, the swings can go both ways. Not only can you lose half your roll when you play underrolled, you can also double it up real fast. That was the idea, so I'm quite happy with how it's worked out so far.

Once again, I appreciate everybody's concern, but I think I've explained my reasons for playing the stakes I play, so I'll just leave it at that.

Attachments

• ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82
pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again, I appreciate everybody's concern, but I think I've explained my reasons for playing the stakes I play, so I'll just leave it at that.

But the premise for this thread is to follow Chris Ferguson's management practices. 'Nuf said.

tough break pig
hopefully u can grind out the 1-2 limit and get it back up to where u were and then exceed it

I am still at 100% of my starting bankroll. Perhaps I have learned something along the way. If not, it has been a fantastic ride.

Last edited:
Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But the premise for this thread is to follow Chris Ferguson's management practices. 'Nuf said.
Throughout this thread I've preached good BRM and recommended to everybody that they follow safe rules. This hasn't changed at all. I still recommend healthy BRM to anybody who wants to safely build a roll.

For the record: I don't want anybody to play the way I'm playing right now because it's just too risky.

See, there's always a tradeoff. The fastest way to get my roll back into five figures would be to flip for my roll twice. I'd have a 75% chance of going broke. My current "BRM" is not quite as fast, but also not quite as risky.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow Chris... Down $1400 one day, up $2400 the next :eek:. GL m8.

Day8 118% ($4209)
Day9 127% ($4515)

Day10 123% ($4367)
Day11 118% ($4217)
Day12 119% ($4233)
Day13 115% ($4093)
Day14 125% ($4429)

Day13 (yesterday) - Only managed a few hands on my Party account and wish I hadn't. Played $100nl and was cold decked, only played 350 hands and called it a night after losing 1 and a bit BI's.

Day14 - Back to the grind on Stars (endeavoring to achieve Platinum status) and played 3000 hands over 2 sessions at 50nl. After being cold decked for 4 days or so, today was pretty heartening. 1st session I managed to get nearly 2.5 BI's up. Then in the last session I ran scary hot, hitting set after set. In the end I managed to win almost 7 BI's.

Update on VPP's, well I have managed to get nearly 1900 VPP's in the first 4 days of feb (I need 10,000 for the month). As long as my bankroll doesn't take a hammering, I should be able to make it but we'll see. GL.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're playing a lot of hands, Jagsti. May I ask how many tables you play? Full ring or 6-max?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chris, I've been reading this thread with great interest over the last few months, and its been a great success. You have to remember that a high volume of posters have been attempting to emulate you here, and following your example in whats proved to be one of the forums biggest threads of late.

Ok here goes, and I know this is not what you want to hear, but you have deviated from your OP to such an extent its unreal, from being a huge advocate of BR managment you have almost sunk to a total gambler. Thats what your doing, gambling and defending it !!! Dont get me wrong, we all take shots at higher limits, we all go on tilt from time to time, and we all chase losses occasionally, check out my pro tilt from last night if your unsure.

Money is money Chris, your bankroll is your bankroll, Ive started from $50 and i have a 4 figure roll at the moment, but to think id play nl$1000 on a regular basis is insane, and to defend it is even worse. If your unsure what this money is, cash some out, go blow it on some fun stuff, but respect it. Respect it well, remember this is a lot of money to some people and it probably is to you to if you took a step back for a bit. Being an all round good player isnt just about the winning, its about managing the winnings as well. I dont want to hear the "Ill move down line if I got to 5 buy ins blah blah blah" You know and I know that youll go broke before you ever play nl$10 again.

I think you have serious gambling issues.

Motion for thread lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're playing a lot of hands, Jagsti. May I ask how many tables you play? Full ring or 6-max?

I play anything from 6-9 tables depending how I feel and how I'm running.

Motion for thread lock.

I think this is a little harsh as there are a lot of folks who have spent a lot of time contributing. It's a little unfair on them.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris, I've been reading this thread with great interest over the last few months, and its been a great success. ...

Motion for thread lock.

I don't think this thread should be locked at all.

Even if Chris has deviated from the original Fergusson premise, the main issue that this thread addresses is real-time BR building and management. That includes mistakes.

Also, I am not convinved at all that Chris Fergusson's rules are the best possible. One day I will post an extensive post on this topic.

The bottom line is that many people keep posting to this thread with good or bad or variable results. While some have stopped, others have started. As the title suggests, it is about building a BR, not necessarily in a particular or perfect way. We all know how hard it is to do that. It is not just the mathematics of BR management (which is quite crude as of now), but also the psychological aspects as well as utility of money considerations.

I move to NOT close this thread unless nobody posts to it for 2 weeks.

P.S. I just checked the logs of the graphing tool. For the last 2 months, there have been more than 400 graphs created! Hardly a stale thread.:)

Last edited:
W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely don't lock this bad boy. Looking back through these pages shows you how persistence and tilt control pay off and how radical/irresponsible play really hack into your bankroll and everything you are trying to accomplish. Anyways, I'll give this a go.

To preface, I've been all over the map in my young poker career thus far. I started this past summer and was probably down $500 or so with small deposits that I burned through quickly. Eventually, I hit it big and cashed for $1205 on Absolute, followed by a cash for $900 on Ultimate Bet a week later in the Sunday $200k. I was happy with my play but I pushed my limits up too high and after only taking out about $500, blew through the rest in roughly a month. Now is the time to build up slowly and stop hitting higher limits when I'm going through bad stretches. The past few months, if I hit a skid with $20 sng's, I'd jump up to $50, $69, or even $100 sng's to recoup the losses but it never really seemed to payoff. Hopefully, this thread can slow me down and encourage me to hit my stride the right way.

My goal here is to hit ~400-500 before taking a fair sum out to invest in a Card Runners membership (Approx. $125). I asked Cmoney3, who is a local guy whose been running real hot (Took down 1st in the Ultimatebet 200k and final table'd on full tilt for a total of 45k), about what to do to really take that next time and he recommended Card Runners. Solid reputation and I hope it can help me out.

Day 0: 100% ($150)- Deposited $150, hardly anytime to play
Day 1: 193% ($289)- Grinded out some $24 token SNG's on Full Tilt and used them in a few MTT's to come away with close to 70 in profit, went a bit aggressive and played a $22+$2 SNG, which I took down. I followed this a another win bringing me up to $350. Played 50NL and took down a big pot to bring me near 400, then lost it all on a board of 357A5 holding A5 against 77. Rough beat but I still ended the day way ahead.
Day 2: 174% ($261)- Wasn't my best day but I had some rough beats along the way. KK going down against QJ was probably the worst or my QQ getting 3bet and sucked out by KJ. Regardless, I doubt I'll play much the next few days but it gives me time to focus on my goal and play smart, fundamental poker.

W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, how do I get this graphing software? Wouldn't mind plotting this out.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to the thread Whodey. Just be careful though, you mention you want to adjust from being a little reckless to more conservative approach to BRM. However I can see that you are stil lplaying a little high for your current BR. You have a roll of approx 25 x $11 sng's and 26 x $10nl buy ins, which is the most aggressive I think you should be. However It's your money and only you know how much thats worth to you and how aggro you need to be with it. GL m8.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive started from $50 and i have a 4 figure roll at the moment, but to think id play nl$1000 on a regular basis is insane, and to defend it is even worse.
I'm not playing $5/$10, I'm playing $2/$4 with currently 11 buy-ins. For the last time, and I'm getting sick of explaining it, this is neither a long-term plan nor a recommendation for anyone else.

Don't make assumptions like that. Let's assume for a second that I'll bust my roll, what do you think I'll do? And what do you think someone with a gambling issue would do?
I would not deposit my monthly income and play in the highest games I can find. I'd accept defeat, deposit somewhere between $100 and $200 and play small stakes again.

Motion for thread lock.
It's pretty unfair of you to ask for a thread lock when so many have and still are participating. I'm not sure what you want to achieve by getting the thread locked.

But apparently my posting regular updates in times when I'm not following proper BRM has caused quite a stir. That's why I have decided not to post any updates for a week.
I will keep track of my daily progress and post an update next Monday. I'm positive that by then I'll be properly rolled for the stakes I play, and that subsequent updates will not have to be frowned upon.
Or maybe I'll go busto and have to start over with proper BRM. Either way, the result should put a stop to the ongoing concern.

I'd really like this thread to keep on moving forward while I'm "away", so please keep posting your updates everybody.
Thanks!

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heh, I knew that would get a reaction, and it's has had the desired result. I still feel that OP has deviated from the initial idea of building a roll based on proper BR managment. I feel that its sending out a bad message to the players on this site that the better posters are supposed to be helping and leading by example.

FYI myself and Irexes made the comment on MSN at the time I was writing this post that making this thread a sticky would be prefrable to locking.

Oh Pigpen, stop being an ass and quoting me incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still feel that OP has deviated from the initial idea of building a roll based on proper BR managment. I feel that its sending out a bad message to the players on this site that the better posters are supposed to be helping and leading by example.

I have to be honest, that was my concern. If a noob doesn't read the entire thread then they may seem to think that Chris's aggro BRM is quite normal. I think Chris may have to put a little disclaimer as his signature :).

Agreed that this should be stickied, makes sense as long as there's regular post's.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh Pigpen, stop being an ass and quoting me incorrectly.

Not an ass, a pig.

Sorry about putting my comment inside the quote, it should have been outside. I will be more careful in the future. And the comment had only to do with the "motion for thread lock". I totally agree with the rest of your post.

Last edited:
HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
day 0 (100%) 372.81
day 1 (80%) 290.05
day 2 (72%) 270.50
day 3 (64%) 240.50
day 4 (42%) 157.78
day 5 (37%) 138.54

day 6 (40%) 150.63
day 7 (51%) 191.41
day 8 (205%) 765.96
day 9 (257%) 958.98

and after taking down the 5+.50 yesterday i decide to do another 5 dollar tourney, got 11th place in that and used the winnings to play in the 28k guarenteed, got 17th in that for a 225 dollar payday, and 50 dollars away from hittin 1k for the first time ever! I am however looking at having some fun and thinkin of buyin in to the 300 dollar ftops avatar race tonight, that is of course after i try a satellite or two :)

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great progress Hart.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Figured I better post a couple of days while it is still on an upswing.:D Playing a little below my bankroll limit, but somebody has to average out the risks.

38 099.4%
39 099.8%
40 101.3%
41 101.8%
42 102.5%

Attachments

• PigpenNew.jpg
    PigpenNew.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 135
Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day10 123% ($4367)
Day11 118% ($4217)
Day12 119% ($4233)
Day13 115% ($4093)
Day14 125% ($4429)
Day15 125% ($4435)

Day15 - Don't laugh.... $6 profit today :rolleyes: . Just under 2900 hands on Stars for me today. Started off fairly solid after my 1st session just over a buy in up. Second session started off really well, hit a few sets and managed to get up just over 3 buy ins. Then it went pretty sour, hit 3 sets only to find out they were'nt good enough, set over set and straights. I played one had terribly, hit a set in a limped pot on the turn, unfortunately my set made villains str8 :(.

I'm pleased with my play overall though. One thing that I have noticed this month are my stats. Usually I play 19/13/2 type of game, now my stats are 14/10/2 which is quite nitty at 6max tbh. Think this is a result of my cb's getting a lot of action, I have tightend up as a result.

Anyway I'm now 2447 VPP's towards the goal of 10,000 and Platinum status. Total hands for the month - 11,084. If I achieve Platinum this month and I don't wreck my bankroll in the process, I may start my own diary type thread. The reason for this is whilst building a bankroll is obv my main concern, I do have other goals which maybe of interest to some and I don't wish to clutter this thread up. Anyways GL all.

Hotmilk8

Hotmilk8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay well after multiple deposits and you guessed it right LOSING... I was beginning to wonder why i would play Live sessions and win but online i would lose. (Reason: I did not play under proper limits for my bankroll. I have currently played under Chris Ferguson's rule of having no more than 5% of your bankroll on the table at one time)

So i wanted to try something new. So instead of the multiple small deposits i decided to deposit $1,000 and play within my bankroll limit to see how i make out.

(All figures below are based on daily totals)

Jan 30th $970.00 (-30.00)
Jan 31st $1,134.00 (+164.00)
Feb 1st $1,130.00 (-4.00)
Feb 2nd $1,153.50 (+23.50)
Feb 3rd $1,218.67 (+65.17)
Feb 4th $1,334.22 (+115.55)
Today $1,286.89 (-47.33)

W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0: 100% ($150)- Deposited $150, hardly anytime to play
Day 1: 193% ($289)- Grinded out some $24 token SNG's on Full Tilt and used them in a few MTT's to come away with close to 70 in profit, went a bit aggressive and played a $22+$2 SNG, which I took down. I followed this a another win bringing me up to $350. Played 50NL and took down a big pot to bring me near 400, then lost it all on a board of 357A5 holding A5 against 77. Rough beat but I still ended the day way ahead.
Day 2: 174% ($261)- Wasn't my best day but I had some rough beats along the way. KK going down against QJ was probably the worst or my QQ getting 3bet and sucked out by KJ. Regardless, I doubt I'll play much the next few days but it gives me time to focus on my goal and play smart, fundamental poker.
Day 3: 217% ($325)- (Yesterday) Had a horrendous start. Bubbled 3 straight $22+$2 turbo SNG's and went into a tilt rage. I need to stop myself from doing this but it luckily payed off this time. I won both a $50+$5 SNG and a $20 SNG to recoup all my losses and some. I know it sounds weird but I play so much better at higher stakes. It might be because the overall quality of play is a lot better from other players but I find that people play tighter, smarter poker. Regardless, I'm sticking to $10 and $20 sng's for now and possibly some $8 token MTT SNG's. If I get this broll up further I'm going to move back into MTT's and hopefully cash big with smart, consistent play.

W

WhodeyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0: 100% ($150)
Day 1: 193% ($289)
Day 2: 174% ($261)
Day 3: 217% ($325)
Day 4: 267% ($400)

Good night for poker. Was playing great poker in the 28k Guaranteed, had a top 10 stack through the top 200 out of 1400 or so but then started to let my guard down and got pushed back a lot. 2nd'ed 2 SNG's and won a few $26 tokens. I definitely feel strong right now with my play and I hope I can consistently keep this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management