Donks and disrespect

juz2swt

juz2swt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes a donk..? I have seen and played against pro's and good players who also play this way, its all about adjusting to the table. You are always going to play against (donks) in freerolls and micro games because the stakes are so small.

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What makes a donk..? I have seen and played against pro's and good players who also play this way, its all about adjusting to the table. You are always going to play against (donks) in freerolls and micro games because the stakes are so small.

Making a "move" when you are short stacked, having position and/or implied odds or knowing the people at the table you are on is a complete different concept than playing J 4 because "if the flop comes high or low I am covered either way" (yes I have heard those words spoken and it wasn't even online).
You can not know if someone is a donkey from one or two hands, I have on more than one occasion played really bad cards and gave away chips in order to get callers later on. Please remember that doing this early in a tournament is NOT a good idea in my opinon. you will spend time and chips setting up your table just to get moved, wait until you are past the 1 hr break when table changes are less common.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post Philthy,

Tbh I hardly ever call someone a DONK, although I may some times ask them a question. Like how did you call that? or You called with 2 7? I hardly ever resort to name calling...which leads to Stick's post about not scaring them away. I remember when I first started playing on FT and my friend was watching me..I lost AA to some random hand and flipped....then my friend said(it was a cash game) "don't scare them away, next time you get AA and they play like that you'lll get those chips back!" But also like you said it's disrespectful too, it's just not about not scaring them away...cuz technically, theres toomany to scare away :)

awesome post phil...more plzthks :)

deadhxc

deadhxc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most I say in chat after getting sucked out to some crazy hand is "LOL WOW"

I only started that after reading This Post

seriouslky nice post though philthy, I am always amazed at the amount of down talking there is at some tables.

eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad you finally posted this phil!
I remember when we talked about it on MSN and it's good to see you pour your thought into the solid post that is the OP.

As for the content. I agree but if I look at myself I know I do it too.
I call them names, in chat or in my head, and I get mad, I tilt after I get sucked out on or I lose an all in I should've won etc etc.

But if you get down to it, many of those situations when I get pissed at the "donks" is a situation where I made a big mistake myself. Playing the hand badly or not adapting to their style like you said.

So in the end that's another thing I'll need to improve on :).

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, lots of approval going on in this thread.

It means a lot to me, thank you all.

itlegacy

itlegacy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never answer "honking horns." When players use foul language or abusively rude to folks, I report them. When rude or fulgar, I simply block their chat. (Some sites enable individual blocks, as well as turning off chat totally.) Then at the final table(s), I'll turn the chatters back on; that is, 'til they go off again. [FYI, donkeys are noble animals; many farmers use them to guard their livestock against predators ... every pun intended here.]

A

artsmith1296

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post. I've gotten to where I just turn the chat off or ignore it. I actually can't understand how people can have such long involved conversations whether they're cursing each other or not, whithout it affecting their play. I certainly slows the game down.

If someone make what i think is a poor play I just make a note of it to use later when there is a tight call to make. No need to tell them about it or they might improve. Also my thinking on what is good and bad play may be completely wrong.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Donk is to poker, as Noob is to video games. And both are very overrated and overused words.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post, the term "donk" is thrown around alot in the stakes I play, so much that it doesnt even seem to have a meaning anymore.

If I get called a donk from now on I will thank them for the compliment.

P

PuffinNugs420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DONKS???????

I mute the ppl who start calling others donks. Poker is a game played by a variety of people with their own styles. You are the one who has to adjust to the others style of play. Just b/c someone calls you down and catches then catches on the river doesnt mean you start berating the person ie: Phil Hellmuth. Im sure at times we all make donk plays but theres no sense in ragging someone for the way they play a GAME!!!

Z

Zingmaster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I leave the chat on for hilarity purposes. besides the name calling the whole "this site is rigged" meltdowns are great as well. These people have no clue.

robertmcpokster

robertmcpokster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok well on the donk subject im am a donk but a smart donk i check wen i hav the nuts and bet wen i hav nothing lol its weird but thats wat i do and it works people say donkys i think its just differnt ways of taking chips call us wat u want but who takes home the chips at the end of the game lol
good luck on the felts :cool:

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I leave the chat on for hilarity purposes.
Here's an amusing example of someone who throws the word "donk" around at microstakes

Dealt to D'wilius [8d Td]
Three players fold
D'wilius: raises $0.04 to $0.06
small blind: folds
Ontario: calls $0.04
*** FLOP *** [9d 6s 8c]
Ontario: bets $0.18
D'wilius: calls $0.18
*** TURN *** [9d 6s 8c] 4♠
*** RIVER *** [9d 6s 8c 4s]
K♥
Ontario: shows [5c 8h] (a pair of Eights)
D'wilius: shows [8d Td] (a pair of Eights - King+Ten kicker)
D'wilius collected $1.16 from pot

Ontario said, "wow"..."jerk"..."lol"
D'wilius said, "haha"
Ontario said, " way to play em donk"
D'wilius said, "I'm a station sry"
Ontario said, " 10 goddam 8"

chat over next several hands
Ontario said, " jerk"
Ontario said, "jesus"
Ontario said, " what a ******* play"
Ontario said, "nothing to say?: wow"
Ontario said, " jerk"

Four players fold
Ontario: raises $0.08 to $0.10
Big blind: calls $0.08
*** FLOP *** [4s 3c Ad]
Ontario: bets $2.56 and is all-in
Bigblind: calls $2.10 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($0.46) returned to Ontario52
*** TURN *** [4s 3c Ad] K♣
*** RIVER *** [4s 3c Ad Kc] 9♠
Ontario: shows [2s 3s] (a pair of Threes)
Big blind: shows [Kh Ah] (two pair, Aces and Kings)
Big blind collected $4.20 from pot

D'wilius said, "going to criticize him too?"
Ontario said, "no he had a hand jerk"
D'wilius said, "wait is it just my hand you've been going on about?"
Ontario said, "F * u play like crap i'll gut people like u for playing stupid"
D'wilius said, "its that one hand whole time?"
Ontario said, " ur horrible play? yep"
D'wilius said, "haha"

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
lol.. funny.. he was the one betting on his 10/5.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have a very good point philthy. it's at a person's liberty to play any hand they choose, that's why you should take notes on players, that way you'll know if thier loose or tight, :smile:

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love donkeys............bray on my friends, bray on.

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno.......

Thanks, Stick.

I'd like to add that the point of my post is not to be so quick to judge another player. I see a lot of basic mistakes and bad plays made by people who complain about an opponent's bad play. So, don't be so quick to label someone, especially if you're not that much better.
Donk=Donkey----and I really don't know WHY people do these things. I mean, I can't be the ONLY one who stopped calling people names in the 6th grade, can I??:eek:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think some people are missing the point of this thread. LOL.

bubba24

bubba24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree.I turn off the chat,so I can conceintrate on my game instead of the BS going on.Bad play,Good play I dont care as long as in the end I have their chips.

graziosi

graziosi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people are on tilt or are losing, this is their way of bashing the winning party and try to make it seem like they are the bad player. Then of course it is obvious to know a donk when you see them because you cannot have a good hand EVERY hand. The name calling is just plain immature and I just laugh at them because the person does not know me and I know I already have an advantage of being more mature not to name call in the first place. Just try not to stoop to their level.