Sam Trickett Opens Up About Winning and Losing $9 Million in a Day

September 17th, 2018 by Daniel Smyth

England’s all-time leading poker money winner Sam Trickett told a national newspaper that it’s not just financial swings that have defined his 12-year career.

Sam Trickett

Sam Trickett tells the Daily Star that his best day at the felt netted him more than $9 million. (Image: VIP Grinders)

Speaking to the Daily Star, Trickett explained how living life as a high stakes poker pro comes with some extreme highs and lows. Since winning his first tournament in 2007, the 32-year-old has banked more than £15 million/$20 million on the live circuit and, in his words, a lot more in cash games.

“The most I’ve won in a day is about £7.6 million/$9.9 million. I’ve lost £1 million/$1.3 million in a day a few times. If I thought I was going to lose more than that I’d feel uneasy. So, when that happens I tend to quit so I don’t lose more,” he told the British newspaper.

Success Follows Skepticism

Delving further into his financial affairs, Trickett admits he’s a sucker for material things and currently has four properties, including a villa in Ibiza. Also on his list of luxury possessions are a $118,000 Range Rover and a $361,000 custom-made Ferrari.

Despite being able to afford the finer things in life, Trickett says he’s had to endure some life swings since turning pro.

“My dad was really anti-gambling at the time. I went broke a couple of times and my bank manager sat me down and told me to stop. It was hard because I knew they’d be right in other situations,” reads the Sept. 16 interview.

As well as conflicts of interests with his family, the English pro said that the lifestyle of a high stakes player can take its toll on a relationship. Prior to marrying Mieke Dockley in 2016, Trickett was in a relationship with childhood sweetheart Natasha Sandhu for ten years.

New Focus Eliminates Life Swings

Constant travelling, partying and the focus required to play at the highest level eventually forced the two to split in 2014. Four years on, the Partypoker ambassador says that he’s now achieved some balance in his life, even if he can’t control the swings at the table.

“I can do more things that I enjoy doing such as my charity work, which was always something I wanted to take part in. I never did before because I was a bit more selfish and driven when I was achieving what I wanted to achieve in poker,” Trickett said in a recent interview on the Partypoker blog.

10 Responses to “Sam Trickett Opens Up About Winning and Losing $9 Million in a Day”

1. 22meandu says:

Daniel Smyth . Click baiting is not what i would expect from a CC read . Shame on you , shame on editor who clearly didnt read the article .

2. Tom99 says:

So he didn’t win AND lose $9M in a single day? He won $9M in a single day and lost $1.3m in a day a few times. Erroneous headline, probably just click baiting? shame…..

3. Melbell says:

So where did he lose 9 million?

4. playinggameswithu says:

Well you got my click. You also got my anger. I heard Trickett went broke when he said so at the previous previous One Drop. Back in the Full Tilt rail heaven days people would lose million hourly.

5. Rijckenborg says:

How can we report this new article ?
    It seem that it contain erroneous fact.

6. Chemist says:

I think some of the comments are a bit harsh, or more rudely written than I would expect from a CC read.
    Though I do agree the article was a disappointment after the title.
    “Sam Trickett Opens Up About Winning and Losing $9 Million in a Day”
    Though the title could have been taken straight from the tabloid newspaper article it was not as expected something new about a player who could easily have been involved in some new drama. Instead it was just a brief updated profile of a guy we already know plays, wins and loses millions in a day.

We know he won $10,112,001 and that was just for coming second in the One Drop (with Antonio Esfandiari winning for $18,346,673), and that just a few hours later he was the victim of an attempted mugging, though they didn’t get away with his $10 million. Perhaps he doesn’t count that $10m as it took 3 days, or perhaps because he had to share it with backers who had a stake in the $1 million buy-in.

So this wasn’t the schadenfreude expectation the title might have implied but please be polite in expressing your disappointment.

For those that do want a $2 million up and down story that Sam Trickett, Tom Dwan, Peter ‘Garfield25’ Chan and Guy Laliberte are all said to have been involved in from Macau in 2011: Andrew Robl Tweeted, “Been gambling big in Maccau. Won 2 million USD straight and was very thankful. Now lost 2 million straight. Thankful for other things :).

It’s just another day in the life of a high stakes poker player.

7. jfmcd86 says:

im more of a micro stakes guy, at times I win a few hundred, then I lose it all , due to poor bank roll management. so I can relate to this, abit. weve all been there.

8. migesan says:

Well things happen like that, I’m a little worried about that money, I would not drop it so easily, it will return at least one day.1 million would be enough for me, but I do not know what to do with 5 or 9 😀

9. joeisi says:

Interesting insight and a really good read. Man to loose that much in a day must be tilting and frustrating and make you feel sick. Sam is a great player and has been under rated over the years. To be able to overcome your losses and keep it is a sign of great strength and character. Definitely not someone I want see at my table.

10. Zorba says:

I’d like to be able to afford to lose $9 Mill in a day, I reckon it would be a sickening feeling to lose that much in a day, but what a rush to win that much in a day.