Stand-up comedian and actor Kevin Hart probably wished it was a prank, but alas it was just bad luck on Friday during Day 2 of the €100,000 ($108,955) PokerStars Monte Carlo Super High Roller.
The funnyman had his full house busted by a higher one held by Bryon Kaverman to get sent to the rail.
It was the first event since January, when the longtime poker enthusiast played in three high-stakes tournaments at the PokerStars Championship Bahamas, but failed to cash in any of them.
The arrival of Hollywood’s highest earning comedian, who made $87.5 million last year, was fitting for a celebrity, as Hart shared video of his helicopter ride to the Monte Carlo casino and entrance at the tournament site.
He also tweeted before the competition: “Wish me luck people … I’m in Monaco playing in the PokerStars Championship Super High Roller tournament.”
The first day was mixed for Hart. He busted early when he got it all-in with two nines on the flop only to run into Igor Kurganov with pocket aces. But he was able to re-enter for another €100,000 ($108,955) and build up his stack enough to advance to Day 2,
Hart Break on the River
His excitement over challenging for the event’s €1.78 million ($1.94 million) first prize was short lived. Hart was down to his last 150,000 in chips after losing a big pot to Isaac Haxton. The tournament was at Level 10 and the blinds were 4,000/8,000, with a 1,000 ante.
The celebrity A-lister had 7♣7♥ and faced a bet by Kaverman that would put him all-in. Hart immediately called.
Kaverman had A♣4♣ and was rewarded with a favorable flop of A♥3♦A♦. “That’s it,” Hart said, expressing dismay that quickly dissipated when a 7♠ came on the turn. Yet before he could get too excited about making a full house, a 4♠ on the river quickly knocked him back to reality.
“That can only happen to me,” a stunned Hart said as he exited the tournament a little less than his usual smile.