Is my thinking wrong here? SnG

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. At 100/200 your open of 4.5 BBs is terrible no matter what your stack or hand is. With 7 BBs, you should just shove.
2. With 7 BBs, you should be shoving a wide range.
3. As you should be shoving a wide range, 99 is an easy shove if he's closing the action.

He made a fine shove, he has like less than 15BB you have 7bb and he has your range crushed given your stack size. I'd need a very good reason not to shove 99 here - 3x from a 7bb stack isn't one.

Without sounding to hard on you, his play is standard and better than yours. Your raise sizing here is terrible in normal circumstances but even more so with a 7bb stack. You should just be open shoving all the hands you're wanting to play.

OP please learn from these from above 2 posts ..its standard stt play ..if you shove which u should and villain calls its very standard...
what do you do if villain shoves or raises and you hold 99s ?

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK I was playing a Sit and Go blinds were maybe 100-200 I think. Maybe 5 or 6 players left. I had 1400 and was just 1 after the big blind.

I look down and see AK ok re-raise to 900.

The guy right after me has around 3000 chips and pushes all in.

I call because I have no choice. Its AK vs 99 and I win the hand. Then I said why would you call with just 99. He said he knew he had the higher odds. Then I said I raised 900 and you didn't think I could have any pock pair above you. Even if I had 10 J... Sure you would start with the odds but if a Jack or 10 hit you would be in trouble. Then he said I was terrible.

For me one of my rules as a big stack is NEVER really call an all in if the value is too high unless its AA or possibly KK.

After the 900 raise he should have said "well pocket 9's are good. But why risk it. Even if I lose im at 1600 but the blinds are big and again the guy is representing a big hand." Instead he calls and 2 hands later is out.

If he had folded it would have cost him nothing and he could have kept on.

Anyways would any of you guys go an all in with 99 if the blinds were 100-200 and a guy pre flop raised 900? and you had around 3000 chips?

I just think his play is an unecessary risk.

Your raise was worse than his 3 bet. several things wrong here. I'm not trying to be mean, but I'm just going to number them for my sake.

1- NEVER NEVER NEVER raise more than 1/2 your stack and not make it a push in an s&g. HUGE mistake on your part. I think any raise that takes more than 1/3 of your stack in a s/g is an automatic all in.

2- What would you do if he just called and you didn't catch that flop? Do you cbet all in? Villain is still correct to call. All the math is on his side in this situation.

3-If for some reason you miss the flop and check, now your down to 500 chips AND in the BB (which by your count actually puts you at 300) at that point, it's correct to call ATC against your desperation all in move.

4-He's pushing to keep others out of the pot. 99 plays alot better heads up than 3 or 4 ways. Do you understand this line of thinking?

FINALLY-you need to change your mindset in these games. A 3k stack is only 15 bb.
You only had 7 bb at this point. He is short and you are desperate if the blinds are 100/200 as you say. If you don't improve by the next blind level, you would have 4 BB left. Even the 3k stack is super short at the next blind level.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no its not, of course i would go all in with pocket 99 against a small stack player, also the blinds were high at that point so calling is the right choice there. A different sorry is risking your entire stack at the beginning of the tourney with pocket 99 but these wasnt the case. Also you shouldnt commit more than a third of your stack preflop, because in case you didnt hit anything on the flop, you will be forcing to lose lot of your stack, making this play unprofitable over the long run. with only 7 bb you should shove and get lucky on the coinflip if someone calls you with a pair ( other than kings or aces)

J

Jay65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing the hand was going to be played all-in or nothing sooner or later, then it's not a terrible call at this stage in the tourney.

You gotta flip that coin every now and then.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's shoved because he's hoping for head's up against AK. Medium pair is about 53/47 against AK. In the event you have AA, KK, QQ, he's got 12% chance of hitting a set.

Oh, and because he knows having people go all-in at the beginning of a tournament puts some folks on tilt.
If he's (99) against an overpair, he has about 20% equity. There are more ways to win than just hitting a set.

Dee Dee

Dee Dee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You both have strong hands, you are both short, he would be correct to shove his pocket nines with his stack under any circumstances in a sit&go, he was right. You should have shoved pre too instead of making that raise.Also, it is pretty bad etiquette to denigrate an opponents play when you have just won a hand against them.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think He played it well. he is isolating you. 99 is too strong of a hand to fold here, and he is not going to just call your 900 and then fold later to your 500 bet... so if he can't fold, and he can't call...what is left?

He is playing at least 1 move ahead of you. He already knows neither of you can fold and he doesn't want to face 3 or 4 overcards so he's doing his best to increase his odds of being heads up against you while most likely having a small edge.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You both have strong hands, you are both short, he would be correct to shove his pocket nines with his stack under any circumstances in a sit&go, he was right. You should have shoved pre too instead of making that raise.Also, it is pretty bad etiquette to denigrate an opponents play when you have just won a hand against them.

+1 on the etiquette.

Ideally we'd all play with grace and poise at all times....but this is life, this is poker and we're all human. But, please at the very least try to be a good winner. When you are stacking all the chips, that is good enough...you don't need the last word too....