KC's Rush Strategy

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably the best Post/Presentation of its nature I've seen here. KUDO's KC.

I especially liked the sound track.

"And the blinds go up" says KC,

With perfect timing we hear "Eww" from the background singer.:D

On a side note, I'm a bit sad to see this presentation because it is so good. Now everyone will start playing RUSH this way..........:(

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Middle Play
Obviously we are changing our hand selection at this point. I’d say around the 80/160 blind level, I believe it is blind level 7; we start to widen our range and start utilizing the later positions to bully the blinds.

What would be the worst hand you would consider to be a part of this play?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps this should have been in the instructional video section and perhaps that section should be limited to certain members the way the freerolls are limited?????

I think the fact that this is one of (if not the) best poker forums on the net there should be some loyalty benefits to seeing a quality presentation like this

On a side note, I'm a bit sad to see this presentation because it is so good. Now everyone will start playing RUSH this way..........:(

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was "rushing" lol, so fast to get this done last night I forgot to thank TPC for helping witht he videos and all. Thank you, I think without the vids this would be another boring strategy article.

No problem any time man. You did a really great job yourself. I didn't do anything but point you in the direction of the software. You did all the rest.

Great Strategy post, the videos really went well with your article. Good job man!!!

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Middle Play
Obviously we are changing our hand selection at this point. I’d say around the 80/160 blind level, I believe it is blind level 7; we start to widen our range and start utilizing the later positions to bully the blinds.

What would be the worst hand you would consider to be a part of this play?

Well I don't widen my range really wide right away. It's kind of like a step thing as blinds go up.

That early I'm probably going as low as like KJ, K10 only in LP...as before loosening as the blinds raise.

Wow thank you, I am humbled :)

Just doing what I love to do, and obviously here for CC.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent thanks again for the advice. Slow and steady wins the race kind of thing. I look forward to trying these things out.

As I said I am taking the reading and videos slow and trying to absorb it all. I already applied one of your theories which is to do those odd bet amounts. It was a regular SnG but it worked. `

What adjustment is top priority when switching to larger fields with this strategy?

Well I don't widen my range really wide right away. It's kind of like a step thing as blinds go up.

That early I'm probably going as low as like KJ, K10 only in LP...as before loosening as the blinds raise.

Last edited:
M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow, one of the best indepth posts i have read, love the final table info and strat. we have the same plays and startegy at the final table, some people tighten up and worry about winning, i agree u might tighten up alittle but keep ur eye on the ball and stay agressive in spots. Also don't be afraid to push. thanks for the read.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow, one of the best indepth posts i have read, love the final table info and strat. we have the same plays and startegy at the final table, some people tighten up and worry about winning, i agree u might tighten up alittle but keep ur eye on the ball and stay agressive in spots. Also don't be afraid to push. thanks for the read.

thanks mig, did you recognize my screen name in those videos? :p :D :eek:

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also willing to sweat/talk to anyone about these tournaments. Just shoot me a PM and we can exchange IM sn's.

Lilli3

Lilli3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, KC. One of the few strategy posts I've stayed with in one sitting...the videos keep it fresh.

Going back through and taking notes. I really like rush tournaments but they haven't liked me so far.

Love the background commentary from your little one. :)

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was an awesome read KC! Seriously gave a great base to stick to your guns...even if you take a tough beat. My first try I made the money :cool:, and that is by far the best I have done in a rush tourney. Thanks! :D:D

The early strategy worked awesome for me! I was chip leader for the first 8 levels, but stealing too much in EP/MP with KJo and such cut me down as bubble approached.

Looking forward to giving it another go when I get done moving this week.:icon_salu

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Was an awesome read KC! Seriously gave a great base to stick to your guns...even if you take a tough beat. My first try I made the money :cool:, and that is by far the best I have done in a rush tourney. Thanks! :D:D

The early strategy worked awesome for me! I was chip leader for the first 8 levels, but stealing too much in EP/MP with KJo and such cut me down as bubble approached.

Looking forward to giving it another go when I get done moving this week.:icon_salu

Thanks!

To the bolded part above, I hope that everyone understands that I don't steal everytime I'm in position with these hands. I pick spots and the videos were edited to show the stealing pots and not folded hands.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am also willing to sweat/talk to anyone about these tournaments. Just shoot me a PM and we can exchange IM sn's.

Wow I think that would be awesome to have you sweat me through one of these games cursing me out for all my bad plays along the way

:D

Seriously though that would be great to hear your thought process while I screw up.

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks!

To the bolded part above, I hope that everyone understands that I don't steal everytime I'm in position with these hands. I pick spots and the videos were edited to show the stealing pots and not folded hands.

I soon realized that this is a feel sort of tactic, and one of the best tips IMO that you showed in the videos was marking someone as a "big blind defender". I can't tell you how much that helped me, and allowed me to make it through the bubble burst.

:D:D Thanks again KC for this outstanding strategy post :cool:;)

And I agree with kmixer...can we take this down or password protect it. I don't want to play against wannabe KC's in all my events :p:p:icon_salu

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I soon realized that this is a feel sort of tactic, and one of the best tips IMO that you showed in the videos was marking someone as a "big blind defender". I can't tell you how much that helped me, and allowed me to make it through the bubble burst.

:D:D Thanks again KC for this outstanding strategy post :cool:;)

And I agree with kmixer...can we take this down or password protect it. I don't want to play against wannabe KC's in all my events :p:p:icon_salu

^^^^This

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m talking almost anything with an Ace, all pairs, any paint cards, and suited connectors. I am usually min-betting if I see that it is affecting against the players in that certain tournament, if not then I raise 2.5 times the BB.

So we min raise or 2.5 raise and get re raised.

If we had A7o is our play going to be any different than if we did this with QJ. What exactly is the play going to be? Fold? 3-Bet? All in? Flat call? Depends on M?

Other possibilities?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m talking almost anything with an Ace, all pairs, any paint cards, and suited connectors. I am usually min-betting if I see that it is affecting against the players in that certain tournament, if not then I raise 2.5 times the BB.

So we min raise or 2.5 raise and get re raised.

If we had A7o is our play going to be any different than if we did this with QJ. What exactly is the play going to be? Fold? 3-Bet? All in? Flat call? Depends on M?

Other possibilities?

From Bubble Area Play-

A lot of players do not like to defend, either they are too passive or just completely scared. In my opinion stealing is essential and must be done to win. Also many debate that it is a good way of wasting chips if you get caught/re-raised. But let’s look at it another way. Since the majority will usually fold to aggression then the percentage of time that we win a hand due to stealing or re-stealing will overcome the times that they defend and we have to fold. What I mean is that we will make enough money stealing due to the fact that we will win the hand with aggression the majority of the time.

Let’s say that the blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante. If we steal the blinds 7 times during this level we will accumulate 11550 chips. Let’s say the 8th time we steal the BB re-raises our 2.5 times the BB raise. We lose 2000 here if we fold, but from stealing in good spots before we still have added 9550 to our stack. Also remember we will get hit with the blinds so this number might be slightly lower but the point is to show that stealing is all that bad, and is much more effective than waiting for a monster.

Here is an example of defending your Blinds.

Might not have gotten this far but it's perfect for your question. Basically for your question we FOLD. Because well have another opportunity later.

We are not looking to get into a confrintation with these people, we want to end it Pre Flop unless we have a great hand! :)

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post KC. That, by far, was the easiest strategy for me to understand and actually put to use. I've played 3 $4 135 player trnys. While I have not cashed yet, ( 2 HORRIBLE villian suckouts and lost a race) I have no doubt that I will be cashing soon.
The 2.5 BB raise preflop followed by about a 30-40% pot c-bet seems to just confuse the hell out of players. LOVE IT!!!

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow I think that would be awesome to have you sweat me through one of these games cursing me out for all my bad plays along the way

:D

Seriously though that would be great to hear your thought process while I screw up.

Actually I am at another Final Table now, if you have an AIM, yahoo, or MSN ...PM me :)

Just got rivered though so mite not be long lol

edit: nvm lol.....

now 2/7

Last edited:
billdogg

billdogg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the average time to get to the final table in these?

Time to HU?

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great! Thanks for the reply and is the answer I was expecting just wanted 100% confirmation.

I have not gotten all the way to what you posted yet (as i sad I am taking it all in slowly) but it doesnt hurt to read it now and again later.

Thanks for letting me know about your final table earlier. Unfortunately I was out to dinner. I hope I get an opportunity to chat with you while you play sometime or for you to sit in while I am playing.

If you get a chance have a look at this thread and see if this would be worth my time and if you would think this would be a place to have one of these sessions.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/rush-5-ftp-little-big-tourament-180488/#post1530808

From Bubble Area Play-

A lot of players do not like to defend, either they are too passive or just completely scared. In my opinion stealing is essential and must be done to win. Also many debate that it is a good way of wasting chips if you get caught/re-raised. But let’s look at it another way. Since the majority will usually fold to aggression then the percentage of time that we win a hand due to stealing or re-stealing will overcome the times that they defend and we have to fold. What I mean is that we will make enough money stealing due to the fact that we will win the hand with aggression the majority of the time.

Let’s say that the blinds are 400/800 with a 50 ante. If we steal the blinds 7 times during this level we will accumulate 11550 chips. Let’s say the 8th time we steal the BB re-raises our 2.5 times the BB raise. We lose 2000 here if we fold, but from stealing in good spots before we still have added 9550 to our stack. Also remember we will get hit with the blinds so this number might be slightly lower but the point is to show that stealing is all that bad, and is much more effective than waiting for a monster.

Here is an example of defending your Blinds.

Might not have gotten this far but it's perfect for your question. Basically for your question we FOLD. Because well have another opportunity later.

We are not looking to get into a confrintation with these people, we want to end it Pre Flop unless we have a great hand! :)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What's the average time to get to the final table in these?

Time to HU?
Time to win these, meaning you are the last out, is about 90 minutes (+/-). Of the games I won, I saw approximately 360-400 hands, but I played uber tight and folded all but the nuts. In the early days of RUSH (Mid March thru Mid May) tourneys, this worked. It no longer does with as much learning as goes on in the RUSH tourneys.

From KC's article, I will guess he sees a bit over 300 hands when he wins. But that is my guess. He plays more hands than I did, and in RUSH poker that drops the total # of hands necessary to see.

Time to the money (15 spots pay) is a bit over 60 minutes. Time to Final table is about 65 minutes. When there are 35 players left you start seeing empty seats and acts as if it is a 4 table tourney. I say acts because it is still RUSHing and more tables are in real play. FullTilt handled this thorny issue very well IMO.

The final table plays regular, non rush poker. Meaning you can rail a Rush Final Table, but no RUSH tables before that. You can not rail any cash RUSH tables.

Last edited:
kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KC....Are you using the Quick Fold at all or are you using the time to make notes when possible on tendencies like UTG raises?

Not sure if you went over this in your strategy cause as you know I am not all the way through it.

N

NL08_Rob

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent post, really interesting and useful. Thanks!!
You can buy time to make notes by clicking sit out.