Have you ever had this feeling when playing poker tournaments?

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There's something that's been bothering me a lot about poker lately.

I've been playing my best poker, in position.
Waiting for hands of equity.

But all of this doesn't seem to work, there are rounds and more rounds without hitting the flop.

Opponents increasing their stack with marginal cards, closing a sequence, hitting 2 pairs, flush, every 2 to 5 rounds.

While I need more than 10 rounds, sometimes reaching 15 rounds to win a pot.

I don't understand why there is such a high frequency among some players, who seem to get it right much more often, while you do your best and fall behind.

Feeling of impotence in poker, it seems that your skill in the game is of little use if you don't have the deck on your side.

Does this happen to you?

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Totally normal friend. We will hit the flop most of the time, that's your selective memory tricking you! Try to evolve your game to have more control over your actions. When we have the knowledge of correct actions, this decreases. Poker is a game of constant evolution, the more knowledge you seek, the less you will care about results, because poker is a game of profitable actions and the more you get right, you will always win in the long term, regardless of the immediate result. Gl

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think the answer is hidden in the question.... hoping to hit the flop is not the best approach to playing poker, it's hard to hit the flop in reality. Most of the time you aren't going to hit the flop so what's your plan then?, the answer to that question should be in your head before you even begin to consider playing a hand otherwise you're just leaving it up to luck
👍

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

But all of this doesn't seem to work, there are rounds and more rounds without hitting the flop.

Opponents increasing their stack with marginal cards, closing a sequence, hitting 2 pairs, flush, every 2 to 5 rounds.

I don't understand why there is such a high frequency among some players, who seem to get it right much more often, while you do your best and fall behind.

Feeling of impotence in poker, it seems that your skill in the game is of little use if you don't have the deck on your side.

Does this happen to you?
You only actually hit the flop about 1/3 of the time so most of the time you miss it. This is where the skill factor comes in. When you miss you have to understand the texture of the flop and the range(s) of your opponents as well as your own range to know how to proceed. Sure, there are going to be loose calls and lucky runouts, that's just the way poker works. But, if it didn't work that way then it wouldn't attract so many loose, wild players that you will make money off of in the long run. Keep playing solid poker and making good decisions and you will be profitable.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Yes, you're right when you told someone they just get cards and they win all the time, and you've been waiting for a good hand for a long time and still lose with it. The result is that you have to play with cards that suit you and you'll hit the flop more and win more hands sometimes there are just bad days in poker

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
I understood a long time ago that it is impossible to get a good result without luck. Skill, experience, patience are all important, but luck is simply a necessary element. I take the game as it is, just play and enjoy the game, and don't take temporary difficulties or setbacks to heart.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Having a desire to improve your game many times over, you need to be a somewhat adventurous person here. To begin with, spend several months looking for the most difficult game within your limit. It's no secret that the weak learn from the stronger and raise themselves to their level.Most players play for fun, thus relaxing and relieving stress after a hard day. If you don't know what you need from this game, then most likely you need to find something else to do.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Study poker more. When you say your skills are of no use if you don’t have the deck on your side, this is why you need to study poker. Skills are built because of the times we don’t hit our hand. If you think you can only win when you hit your hand well this is not what is happening.
You are making your opponent’s life easy, they just need to bet with any two cards and you fold. The villain can do this with any two cards. So he is finding a profit with a 7-4 off suit against you.
There are a lot of things you can do differently, you just need to study.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Does this happen to you?
The range of hands that you and your opponents play is hugely important. And your awareness of your opponents is also important. You need to understand what your hand range will be optimal for playing against a concrete player. For example against one opponent I can go all-in with K9 on pre-flop, or play middle pair on the board, and there are players who are too scared to call their all-in with "JJ" on pre-flop. :unsure:

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like you're not aggressive enough. most hands don't go till the river. if you're always taking it to the river maybe try and start settling out of court.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker you can't just wait for the best hands, this happens at the beginning of tournaments as the blinds increase you will have to play more hands or it will end up being too short where you will go all in with strong hands but it will pay off for the opponent to pay even with an average hand

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the GTO you must play a few marginal hands too,if the players are too loose you must adapt or they will bully you,studying its the best whey to know the correct move
If you play too tight and overfold,the chips will end
But patience its still great whey to be profitable
Go for the gold
God bless

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
Each of us had, or does it happen, such a feeling. I think it's sometimes quite sad to witness such a thing, but if for you poker is just a game, just entertainment, then these feelings are upsetting, but at least not for long.
Good luck :)

T

thejuice1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sounds like you're not aggressive enough. most hands don't go till the river. if you're always taking it to the river maybe try and start settling out of court.
bingo you nailed it. you cant sit and wait for premium hands or to hit huge on the flop etc. you have to be aggressive to win pots the majority of the time. just need to do your best to use that aggression at the right times..... when youre in position, against the right players and at the right times. if you just sit and wait for big hands, then you arent going to last long in a tournament unless you are insanely lucky each time you play a pot.

S

stank12345

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
variance is huge in poker if you think it drives you crazy try playing Omaha you just have to accept that is part of poker

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
yeah I just had it in the freeroll I participated... It's variance... we have to live with it :-/

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how long do you play poker, but this always will happen. Poker it's a game of "ups and downs" and we usually remember more of our bad runs than of our good runs. But after playing for so many years, I've learned that all bad runs comes to an end, just keep playing your best and making the right decisions that eventually the results will come.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know how long do you play poker, but this always will happen. Poker it's a game of "ups and downs" and we usually remember more of our bad runs than of our good runs. But after playing for so many years, I've learned that all bad runs comes to an end, just keep playing your best and making the right decisions that eventually the results will come.
Good advice, I completely agree. And the hardest thing is to make the right decisions when the game is not going well.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If your case is to wait for the cards you receive to hit with the flop, you need to think a little more and analyze how wrong you are, start by analyzing your cards, sometimes your smallest cards end up being completed with the flop, whenever you think negative, you will have the negative in your hands, think positive and risk.
Talent, Skill and Patience, a great virtue
Good luck

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes that happens a lot. I played a freeroll tournament today and was placed in the top 20 early in the tournament. I then Had had all ins when hot favourite to win the hands and lost all 5 and was knocked out. It’s down to luck most of the time. Not a lot of skill. Last week I got a good run and won a tournament in Omaha. I took 17 bounties. So if you want to win basically you have to keep trying until it’s your day. A skilful player will lose to a lucky player every time. You have to remember that to win you will need to win multiple flips and mathematically that is extremely hard to do.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it has happened to all of us or we had that feeling that it is impossible to win. It's part of the game. But if you keep playing that way in the long term you will win. I hope you can keep trying. Good luck at the tables.

ZenonBR

ZenonBR

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, let me add on, about being aggressive and not just waiting for the letters to arrive.

I already have a lot of experience with poker, and I know very well how to use all poker strategies, including being aggressive at the right times in position and with certain players.

I always do this and don't just wait for hands.
The problem when I look for a bluff in these times is that opponents tend to call almost all raises.

Where this strategy ends up not working either, in other words you are completely powerless in the game, you take a seat at the table and simply watch the tournament because all the actions you take result in nothing.

So it's not as simple.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
This happens many times online . You have to deal with it . If you cannot deal and overcome it then it's a problem . Many times I am card dead , many times I do not get a decent card or I get only early at a tourney only to get a bad beat later .