To chop or not to chop (apologies to Shakespeare)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I wouldn't mind cutting the prize money gender if 1-2 places give the same amount of money if they're bounty tournaments and whoever did what else, but I rarely agree to do this. I rarely agree to take only 1st place and everyone will try to play to the last and win the tournament I prefer online tournaments now they are more convenient

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It all depends on the amount for 1st and 2nd place. If the difference in the amount is not significant, I can agree to the deal. If the difference between 1st and 2nd place is significant, then I would suggest playing to the end

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I always use the deal chip chop contract then it is beneficial for me, i.e. the proposed contract value must be greater than the value of my chips in the game or occasionally the same. I also allow if the proposal is slightly smaller, but only if I know that the players I play with are professional players, or when I feel too much pressure of the game due to too significant jumps in winnings. The value of the remaining chips in the game is quite easy to calculate. To calculate, I always use:

Total next ITM winnings: TOTAL$
Total renaming of chips players in the game: TotalChips
Next ITM: WinNext

My chips in the game: MyChips
My share of chips of total remaimg chips (%): MyChips/TotalChips
Il mio valore di chip surplus$ aboveil mio vincita garantita: SURPLUS = (MyChips/TotalChips) x WinNext

My value$ of my chips in the game (DEAL CHIP CHOP) = WinNext + SURPLUS

As a rule, I use the offer of a deal when I do not feel confident in the further game and when the amount of the proposed deal is correctly calculated as above. As a rule, I myself propose an enumeration. The deal chip chop method works only with a few players and is best actually in the heads up phase. When there are more players, I prefer the method of calculation according to the ICM method, which also takes into account the odds in the game.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Chop chop chop
Anytime and everytime
Remember time is money too.
After having played a tournament running 3-4 hours, you would want to finish it and move on.
Invest that time in something else.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Greed and poker have long gone hand in hand. But their tandem does not add any benefit to the player. On the contrary, greed can force you to bet everything and lose all your winnings in poker. Every poker player wants to win. And all the time he needs more and more. Thus, greed becomes dangerous, all-consuming and serious. But in order for a player to truly remain a winner, he must forget about greed once and for all.

zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I almost always chop, the variance when playing with short stacks like you do on a final table is too big and even in cases where you think you are the better player, it usually comes down to who runs better.
I've been in Nabmom's situation a few times and there's usually 1 person like them that doesn't want to chop and it's VERY satisfying if and when they eventually bust out. The club I used to play at there was someone who never wanted to chop and he even starting wearing a t-shirt with 'I don't chop' written on it after a few players complained to him. :LOL:

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think chopping is a thing I generally would do. I have a couple of times, but in the main I don't. However, for me the ideal solution for me to chop would be: 3-way on a FT at the wsop. If I was chip leader and the others asked for a chop I would split equally as long as they agreed to let me have the bracelet. If they said no to that, then I would play on, and offer the same if we got to HU. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I will let you know in June :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In your specific situation, I wouldn't do it with this guy.
but with other people and comfortable money, I would do it without any problems.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
man, it's a difficult decision that depends on the situation itself, if your strategy is to never cut then do it.
But if you want to cut the prize pool, then you should see some situations that can be beneficial for both, for example, if the amount of chips are close then it is a good idea to cut the prize pool, or even if the player is weaker than you, you You should consider not sharing the prize as your chance of winning is greater.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you are on the final table with 4 left, you might as well go for it.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
My experiences with chopping are equal zero because i was never in such a situation where i was able to negotiate. I play 99% online poker and i was never on a final table where a villain made a suggestion to chop the prizes.
If there would have been a situation to chop or in future i wouldn´t say that i never chop because if there are 3 equal villains on table for example with similiar stacks and skills and there is a fair pot chop then i would do it because my regular tournaments arent tourneys with big buyins(max. 25$ buy in) so i would not spend so many time if there is a chance to make a good deal and use time to go to bed when it´s late ...

Last edited:
Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't mind chopping a Prize pool if there are only 2 or 3 players left, but the argument starts "Well I should get more because I have a bigger Stack" Routine which really annoys me no end, In my opinion a chopped Prize should be just that, Shared Equally.
Just because a person has a few more chips, doesn't mean he is going to win it outright, I have seen many Chip Leaders go out in 3rd place after slipping up and calling an all-in from someone that really hurts him so bad he cannot come back from it, The Term "Hero to Zero" comes to mind many times.
I have had it happen to me, and I see it all the time from others, it's just part of the game.
However if a player is so greedy that he feels he should get the Lions share of the Prize then let him work for it, and refuse to chop. I was involved in a game where 3 of us were playing and the shortest stack asked if we would be prepared to chop it, I didn't mind one way or another but the Chip leader was so adamant that he could win refused saying something rude to the short stack. I felt it was uncalled for and just downright rude but with him saying it I just said "then just play on".
A few hands later the short stack UTG shoved all-in and the chip leader just called, I took this as a way of finishing the game on that hand and shoved all-in over the top holding an Ace/Jack suited, I made a straight and won, making me the chip leader and as the short stack took third place, my opponent asked if we could chop, I immediately reminded on what he had said earlier and added " I'm calling any 2 cards you shove all-in with" to which he looked at the cards he was dealt on the very next hand and shoved, I snap called without looking at my cards and turned over a measly 6/2 off, he laughed as he turned over A/K and stopped laughing when I paired my 2 and beat him. JUSTICE WAS SERVED!

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am always ready to compromise, for the common good. If my opponents offer a deal, I'm ready if it's a fair deal. If the opponents refuse, I do not mind and I am ready to fight for victory. If the opponent himself does not know what he wants and changes his mind, then for me this is a reason not to seek a compromise with such a player, but simply to defeat him as is appropriate :)

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would usually not consider deals unless.

1: The game is 3 handed or less

2: If the payouts are significant to my bankroll.

3: If i feel opponents have an edge.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Since it's very rare to get to a final table, I almost never share. However, if there were four of us and I had the fewest chips, I would probably go in...especially if it was a really big sum.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I myself have never chopped but i have never been asked either so i guess it would depend on the size of the pot and the how much i was going to get.
As we all know it's all about the money right or is it about the win? This is the real dilemma :confused::confused:.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think chopping is a thing I generally would do. I have a couple of times, but in the main I don't. However, for me the ideal solution for me to chop would be: 3-way on a FT at the WSOP. If I was chip leader and the others asked for a chop I would split equally as long as they agreed to let me have the bracelet. If they said no to that, then I would play on, and offer the same if we got to HU. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I will let you know in June :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Would the bracelet mean the same to you.. knowing you were actually tied for the lead and only took it down due to a negotiation.

fwiw, I would often consider a chop & might agree if situation made it sensible choice for me (ie. shallow effective stacks)

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If I offered a deal and my opponent refused me, then I would no longer seek compromises and play to the end to win. But in general, I am always ready to negotiate if such agreements make sense :)

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let me start by saying I don’t like to chop and there are very few times (less than a handful) that I have actually chopped.

The only reasons I see to chop are

Small stack and getting more than you should (or would if you busted next)

Tournament is dragging on and you need to go (time to pick up the kids)…and the remaining money is not significant (new car money)

The amount you are getting vs the amount you could get if you are out next is significant. (New car money)

And…this last reason is a tough one for people to recognize…you’re not as good as the rest of the players. (You would have to realize and accept this for it to happen)

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The proposal has to be made only once. Either you offer it or accept it is your problem. After that your word should not be changed.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Never chop! Second place to me is as bad as last place! Show me a player that don’t mind losing and I will show you a loser!

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Everyone loves a chop pot

No but seriously I think chopping is based on mood, if you play long MTT and are too tired to continue, always chop but if you are refreshed it's good to play since its valuable training.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am ready for a deal if my opponent behaves adequately and deserves a compromise. If the player is impudent, stupid, or stingy, I don't see the possibility of negotiating with him about anything.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Dependent on the payouts. If it's life changing money or you're absolutely exhausted & have something to do the next day can warrant a chop, but usually you should play it out. That's the beauty of Poker, you can win with very few BB if the chip leader starts getting aggressive pushing.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i would usually accept a deal whenever i received an offer that was mathematically favorable thru ICM ,or otherwise helpful to me. those possible factors might include time issues , tiredness, lack of confidence vs the opponents left , or other available games and/or tournaments that could be more profitable .