Status
Not open for further replies.
loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not about ego, its about profitability and risk aversion. This is a highly profitable spot that will be sure to make money in the long term. The fact that someone would consider folding here means that they don't have stomach to be successful in poker if they are too concerned about a min cash that they would consider not risking anything in what's clearly a highly +EV investment.

Its not a derogatory comment nor is it necessarily a bad trait to be less willing to gamble. However if it is the case then they won't make good poker players. Again its not an insult, just fact, poker players need to be willing to accept a level of risk.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this seriously a question? Lmao

If you fold AA in this spot pre, just quit poker now please.
+1
I see so strange answers ...what to think about so you have two aces and u have 22K u dont have much options ...agressive table 3bet or shove..:trytofly:

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy shove need play on final table, not only win few BI,,,

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as the hand played out, 'nh'. I'd say it was perfect! The 3bai got exactly the results one would think you were (or should be) hoping for!
(to look back & think you should've looked at playing it differently than you did, when it got the most desired result is just not good (results orientated thinking).

No, you're right. And I suppose I'm trying NOT to be results orientated but rather trying to think of different ways to handle situations so when I'm confronted with them again, I'm giving myself options. I'm not new to the game and I've done ok for myself but I can do better. That's why we talk it out, right?

Thanks for the input, all.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not about ego, its about profitability and risk aversion. This is a highly profitable spot that will be sure to make money in the long term. The fact that someone would consider folding here means that they don't have stomach to be successful in poker if they are too concerned about a min cash that they would consider not risking anything in what's clearly a highly +EV investment.

Its not a derogatory comment nor is it necessarily a bad trait to be less willing to gamble. However if it is the case then they won't make good poker players. Again its not an insult, just fact, poker players need to be willing to accept a level of risk.

And, like PokerOrifice.... you're right. Normally it's not even a question for me, but rather a question of how do I get villains chips in the pot. Being on the bubble just gave me thoughts and questions is all. I like your statement about being willing to accept a level of risk. I completely understand that. I have plenty of gamble in me (sometimes too much) I just know so many that would've folded without a hesitation. They nickle and dime their way to a profit, albeit not a big one. Had the hand not played out like it did, I probably wouldn't have even asked. And maybe I shouldn't have asked. I was just looking to see how others would've handled the situation.

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there really a decision here? Definitely FOLD AA to a min-Raise!

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U want to get cash but but do u want win this tournament? I will shove with Aces, your opponent play LAG and he know that if u shove u should have monster hand in bubble so if he only want to steal blind he probably fold. Even if he call u are in good situation to double up.

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depend on what u want. If you want to in the money,just fold. If you want to be the champion,don't play scared in the bubble.In www.pokerschoolonline.com, someone wrote that:
For this exact reason a lot of the more experienced players will really up their aggression as the money bubble approaches in order to pick up easy chips.
Cashing is nice, but the big money is at the final table. So don't be afraid to play back and take a stand, even though it could mean going out before the money.​

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As PO said, the question here is how to get this particular opponent's chips into the middle. Shoving doesn't seem as obvious to me as it appears in some other replies. It only works if he's likely to call 10x his opening bet and 7x the pot with a large part of his wide range. Even factoring in that I may be seen as restealing, shoving still seem quite opponent-dependent.

Since my read is that this opponent either call a 3bet or 4bet, I'd have to be pretty confident he'll a shove to prefer it over 3betting.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has been said a few times in different ways. In the case of OP's hand, IMO it is a shove.

However, there are times when u should/ could fold AA.

Final table, WSOP. You are on the BB and short stack at table with AA

EVERYONE goes all in before you.

IMO, if you call here you are NOT a top poker player, you are nothing more than a poker player with an ego that can't fold the best hand.

THIS scenario, you are guaranteed to make more money folding than calling. This, for me anyway, is why I play poker - to make a bit of cash, not to prove I have a massive ego :)

Yeah, because this scenario happens

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
U want to get cash but but do u want win this tournament? I will shove with Aces, your opponent play LAG and he know that if u shove u should have monster hand in bubble so if he only want to steal blind he probably fold. Even if he call u are in good situation to double up.
I'm confused??? So you want him to fold to your shove... but if he calls it's okay? (fwiw, I don't think the shove looks as strong as a 3-bet on a stack of that size... so I doubt villain will assume hero has a 'monster' just because it's the bubble).
Depend on what u want. If you want to in the money,just fold. If you want to be the champion,don't play scared in the bubble.In www.pokerschoolonline.com, someone wrote that:
For this exact reason a lot of the more experienced players will really up their aggression as the money bubble approaches in order to pick up easy chips.
Cashing is nice, but the big money is at the final table. So don't be afraid to play back and take a stand, even though it could mean going out before the money.​

Do you think they'd be scared while holding AA? Time for a new hobby/game if they are:confused:

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aces?
make it 5k then stack off on the flop, folding is crazy talk, lets figure out how to get this big stack to donate to the cause

if your down to 10 players and your in the wsop main event and your networth is 0 dollars you might be able to make a case for folding lol
unless the money is life changing you can't make irrational or -ev decisions with hands, even in the WSOP scenario you have to play the aces.
It gets interesting when your in the same exact spot with QQ though. A raise would be standard but if it was the WSOP final 10 I just fold

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, because this scenario happens

This is obviously and extreme, but take it back a pace.

2nd & 3rd short stacks push and the big stack calls. Folding, again, would make sense.

I did say that the hand in question however, I would want to get all my chips in.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I lost in the bubble with AA cause I wanted to double up. It cost me a 22$ Ticket to a bigger tournament. I never do it again . I learned my lesson. Better to sit out and wait for the bubble to burst.
gl on and off the felts

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont play to min cash, that was my old game, CC taught me better
on bubble Id just shove it, not caring if he calls or not
tho a nice size 3bet and shoving flop may be better
sucks to be bubble boy but 1 win (or close too) is worth soooo many min cashes its really the reason we play- to win-dont play scared
+1 to this. I've been in the same spot, and both times I have shoved..

O

OliverOliver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easy to doubt when you lose a big hand like that and think about how you could have played it differently. But also think about this, what did you do right? He called you with 1010, and honestly, you would love that to happen all day long, right? So thinking about it that way, you should see that you played the hand correctly. Things just didn't go your way this time, but the high majority of the time in that situation, they will.

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the bubble with Aces

When or if I was on the bubble with Pocket aces, I have no problem fold them if I can make it to the money. No problem with me. But, that is me. I dont play to win first place. I play to make it to the money. Any thing else is extra.

Don't know if that is smart, but that is what I do.

I have seen Pocket AAs and pocket monster hands beaten of sucked out too many times. As, I am sure everyone else has.

mike

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When or if I was on the bubble with Pocket aces, I have no problem fold them if I can make it to the money. No problem with me. But, that is me. I dont play to win first place. I play to make it to the money. Any thing else is extra.

Don't know if that is smart, but that is what I do.

I have seen Pocket AAs and pocket monster hands beaten of sucked out too many times. As, I am sure everyone else has.

mike

too many times or occasionally?
can't wait to sit with you, I'll push you all day long lol
enjoy your min cashes;)

T

tdluca

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A bird in the hand, I would fold, If you decide to play don't wate shove right away don't him a chance to see any cards unless he calls.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday I lost in the bubble with AA cause I wanted to double up. It cost me a 22$ Ticket to a bigger tournament. I never do it again . I learned my lesson. Better to sit out and wait for the bubble to burst.
gl on and off the felts

Well, if you're in a satellite on the bubble it MAY be proper to fold AA for example you have a medium healthy stack not in danger of blinding out soon. Say 1 or 2 short stacks goes all in and a big stack goes all in over the top... You can (and should) fold AA here.

It's hard to dream up a MTT situation, though where you can fold AA preflop

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
gl on and off the felts

I've made the mistake of folding AA on the bubble when a bigger stack shoved over the top of another all in because I wanted to get something, anything, for my 4+ hours that I had invested. Besides, I had a fairly decent size stack anyway, with some very short stacks barely clinging to life, so I figured I had some breathing room. This wasn't a satellite either. On top of that, not to be results oriented, but the all-in's had AQ vs AT, so I would have been way ahead.

Well, guess what. The game continued on the bubble, and on, and on, and on, and on, and the short stacks kept doubling up, and the blinds kept getting higher, and I saw nothing but 82, 53, T4-type crap on the bottom of my screen, and I wound up being the bubble boy anyway.

Bubble be damned, I'm getting my money in good and if the Aces don't hold, so be it.

E

efh0888

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would add that a double or nothing sit-n-go would probably also be another scenario where folding aces on the bubble could be correct, depending of course on the specific situation.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've made the mistake of folding AA on the bubble when a bigger stack shoved over the top of another all in because I wanted to get something, anything, for my 4+ hours that I had invested. Besides, I had a fairly decent size stack anyway, with some very short stacks barely clinging to life, so I figured I had some breathing room. This wasn't a satellite either. On top of that, not to be results oriented, but the all-in's had AQ vs AT, so I would have been way ahead.

Well, guess what. The game continued on the bubble, and on, and on, and on, and on, and the short stacks kept doubling up, and the blinds kept getting higher, and I saw nothing but 82, 53, T4-type crap on the bottom of my screen, and I wound up being the bubble boy anyway.

Bubble be damned, I'm getting my money in good and if the Aces don't hold, so be it.

lesson learned. Understandable that you'd remember this one... & I imagine it'll be a long time before you forget it. (it's amazing how those uber shorties can keep on doubling up when you're praying for them to be knocked out)

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing a MTT in attempts to min-cash, you are doing it way wrong. Maybe you should play double up sngs instead.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say its all in or fold. I have tried working my AA with a low raise to try and catch some calls....low flop comes and someone always catches a low set or two pair....then I regret not shoving from the get go to get their fold. It's still a risky bet tho, depends on how high the stakes were on what I would do

Status
Not open for further replies.