AJ OS UTG with 11 BBs

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
11 bigs makes AJ a good holding, it just sucks to lose to a small pair. But that is poker.

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi!
good play
you had to shove with 11bb
dont care about the bubble.it not where the profit come from
the only thing you can do before the bubble is to play slow when you have a shortstack

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, generally when the "bubble" becomes a factor your decisions become suboptimal. Shoving UTG with AJ depends on many variables. I'm assuming stars tourneys are full ring. If we're shoving UTG we with 11 BB's we can safely assumed we will get called.

The problem, and the reason why doing this is -ev, is as follows:

We get into marginal spots, pair vs overs, etc. And occasionally we get dominated by AA,KK,QQ,AK, AQ.

Under normal circumstances, we could get 72/28 value form worse aces but because it is full ring players will be more inclined to fold marginal hands that we can get value from.

I think we can just fold here and find a better spot, but there are still missing variables. If this is a non-ante tournament i'm almost always folding. If it is an ante tournament, we have improved pot odds and our stack percentage increase is more substantial if the shove gets through, in which case a shove would be more sensible.

Karozi

M

Mamuth88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depending on the profile of who ta on the table and the position to wait until 8bb , but push the UTG usually put pressure on opponents and AJ might be a good hand. but it's close

J

John Bon Jovi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again all. Lot of different opinions but That's poker. Think I'll stick with pushing next time but it's a close call. I have a few KQ questions next but I'll put them up soon. Thanks.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG on the bubble im prety sure this is a fold. I'm shoving AQ.

P

pokervike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we were just coming to the bubble ( I never look anymore ) and I'm still wondering if I was right.

That statement alone tells me you should rethink your actions. With a marginal hand and the likely hood of it being called by another marginal hand give yourself a chance to chop it. This way you have two spots to fold everybody instead of the curious Q10 player who rivers a 10! The mindset of 'doubling through' when short in an MTT is a dangerous place to tread water. As loose as online poker calling has become in the last 3 years it has become almost as bad in the call-fold department. Give yourself two chances to fold them next time.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
UTG on the bubble im prety sure this is a fold. I'm shoving AQ.

i think min raise fold might actually work better than folding aj.... i agree with shoving with aq though.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with the suggestions of raising any amount with the intention of folding if x happens. At this stage you (I) would only min raise to hope for a shove I would call, which I am not happy doing with AJo - or AJs either.

You said that the next hand you were BB so I am assuming you acted first vs blinds. An instant shove here, no question, unless you had a maniac in the blinds that you were sure to get a shove from with ATC then MAYBE a min raise. But 99% insta shove here.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again all. Lot of different opinions but That's poker. Think I'll stick with pushing next time but it's a close call. I have a few KQ questions next but I'll put them up soon. Thanks.

I don't think shoving 11bb utg with AJ on the bubble will give you the most profit in the long run. Yes, we are playing for the win. But to win you have to make the best decisions and you can't ignore the bubble making those decisions. In the long run it is very important to make good decision on the bubble. I don't think a worse hand will call you here. On the bubble UTG with 11bb you're showing you have a strong hand. AT will fold i think and you will be flipping or dominated on the bubble if you get called. And you don't want that.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But AJ on the Button? I dont see a fold here at all.

M

Mamuth88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG with AJo , although risky, I would bet the shove , if you hit is comfortable in the tournament, but hit , patience , rather than fall itm and take the buy in .
Whereas many people play tigth the bubble and some very loose to try to increase the chips , AJo is a great shove

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
look you'd better have returned the best hand to play in this situation and the Group 1 and 2!

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove unless ICM affects the situation. The only time folding AJo UTG on 11bb is logical is if you're on the money bubble, satellite bubble, or at a FT where ICM indicates folding is correct.

J

Joed1580

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players are snap calling nowadays with A9ss A10ss and small pairs plus everyone can fold so stick it in