$ NL HE MTT: Here is a good example of how not to play with a pair of 10s.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
This hand took place today in the $100 Cardschat freeroll on partypoker.

I hadn't played for several hours, just waiting for a good opportunity, but paying attention to what the other players were doing at the table, and the table was very active with several reise and 3bets.

And the villain who made the first raise was one of those who was very active at the table, always giving reise and sometimes making 3bet, so I did what I did and ended up getting screwed.

In my opinion, I think my 3bet wasn't bad, but when the villain gave me a 4bet, I should have analyzed the move better, used my time and could have folded, given that the tournament was just beginning and I would still be at 38bb.

But as the saying goes, "The bluff hunter pays the bill."

Leave your comment, but take it easy.

Thank you Cesar.

partypoker, Hold'em No Limit - 350/700 (85 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 43,409 (62 bb)
UTG+1: 61,335 (88 bb)
MP: 98,897 (141 bb)
MP+1: 43,145 (62 bb)
CO: 58,837 (84 bb)
BU: 50,469 (72 bb)
SB: 44,295 (63 bb)
BB (Hero): 44,445 (63 bb)

Pre-Flop:
(1,730) Hero is BB with T T
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 1,470, 2 players fold, CO calls 1,470, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to 6,230, UTG+1 4-bets to 12,600, 1 fold, Hero 5-bets to 39,620, UTG+1 6-bets to 61,250 (all-in), Hero calls 4,740 (all-in)

Flop:
(91,220) 3 A 9 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (91,220) A (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (91,220) Q (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: 91,220

Showdown:
UTG+1 shows A A (four of a kind, Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 81%, Flop: >99%, Turn: 100%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows T T (two pair, Aces and Tens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 19%, Flop: <1%, Turn: 0%, River: 0%)

UTG+1 vence 91.220

Ps: And yet the villain wins the hand with cruelty refinements.😁🤣🤣

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is villain dependent where you could be up against villains that, if they have the stats to back it up, but my play here most of the time is to just set mine and see what happens. Given that this is a freeroll I am more inclined to just set mine. If we know the villains well though and know they are weak post flop and/or fold to a lot of c bets then we can 3 bet and then lead most flops to rep but again, I prefer just set mining here.

You then get 4 bet and its a totally nutty sizing by villain. They are not making this sizing with any 4 bet bluffs if they ever even had any given this is a freeroll and unless they are pure maniacs, which you would know by now, freerollers don't seem to 4 bet bluff imo. We are getting over 3 to 1 on a call but its an expensive set mine proposition at this point with what we have to put in to call and I believe we are really going against AA or KK here a huge % of the time. We can get a whole stack when we flop a 10 but the SPR is 1.5 ish if were to just call. I think this a fold when we get 4 bet and take our losses after 3 betting.

Gritz18

Gritz18

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think this a fold when we get 4 bet and take our losses after 3 betting.
True, it would be the most correct move, but as it is a freeroll we always think the villain is bluffing, but one thing I have noticed in Cardschat freerolls is that there is very little bluffing.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This hand took place today in the $100 Cardschat freeroll on PartyPoker.

I hadn't played for several hours, just waiting for a good opportunity, but paying attention to what the other players were doing at the table, and the table was very active with several reise and 3bets.

And the villain who made the first raise was one of those who was very active at the table, always giving reise and sometimes making 3bet, so I did what I did and ended up getting screwed.

In my opinion, I think my 3bet wasn't bad, but when the villain gave me a 4bet, I should have analyzed the move better, used my time and could have folded, given that the tournament was just beginning and I would still be at 38bb.

Thank you Cesar.

Pre-Flop:
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 1,470, 2 players fold, CO calls 1,470, 2 players fold, Hero 3-bets to 6,230, UTG+1 4-bets to 12,600, 1 fold, Hero 5-bets to 39,620, UTG+1 6-bets to 61,250 (all-in), Hero calls 4,740 (all-in)

Flop:

Showdown:

UTG+1 vence 91.220

I don't know if I would 3-Bet this hand.

As you said, this happened at the beginning of the tournament (when the most crazy and donkey players were in the game yet.).

Hero was with 63bb and Villain was with 88bb (effective stack was given by the Hero)

If villain looked like a reg, that was a really bad play, because he would have a stronger range (I know that a pocket pair would be very strong against an AK, for example, but this is very risky to do, specially when Villain has more chips than Hero). But, if he was a donkey, I think that Hero just had a bad luck at this time (specially if the Villain was a calling station).

By the way, at my vision, I think that the best play that Hero could do there was calling the approximately 2,5bb raised by Villain and see the flop (actually Hero is at BB, so he should put only 1,5bb). Because Hero would be able to see if the game would be expensive to see the showdown or if it would be profitable...

Also, if the Hero shoved against the Villain after the 4-Bet, it would be less painful, I think 😅. But when you raise and get re-raised, it's really hard to fold a large pot. So I hate to be the guy who gets shoved, this makes you think a lot if it would be better if you folded before or if you really need to put your remaining chips in game.

Thanks for sharing this tough hand. This made me think a lot... I did a bad play on the last $200 Vip Freeroll. I was winning, but I made a risky decision and got bad beated by an aggressive donkey in my first or second hand of the game (this was very expensive and I lose all my chips a few minutes later). Oh my god, I was feeling so bad (not by the reason of being beaten by him, but of being beaten by that way). I would like to show this hand here and show how not to play with an A2s against a 96s 😂, but I don't know how to recover that exactly hand of the tournament, sorry...

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3-betting is ok, but it would not be terrible to just call and see a flop however. 5-betting is an overplay. You are against an EP opener, and when he 4-bet, his range is typically something like JJ+, AK or even tighter than that. For some players the 4-bet is basically always KK or AA. And for that reason your options are call or fold, while 5-betting is simply lighting money on fire. Once in a while you get it in against AK, or you make him fold. But much more commonly you will get this kind of result and be a 4:1 dog for all your chips.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Most solvers have a mix between 3-bet and call with this stack dept I think (against a UTG open HU) but leaning towards a call. Since it is a multiway action before you I lean even more to a call. When you do 3-bet and get 4-bet it is a fold against an unknown (non-maniac) since you get bad odds. Against some aggressive players maybe a call and continue on a low flop. If it was HU the 3-bet and 4-bet would probably been smaller which makes it easier to not just fold.

Personally, I call A LOT from BB so I must also call with most good hands so TT is a clear call for me personally against an UTG raiser. Against later position raiser, it is almost always a 3-bet (especially HU).

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most solvers have a mix between 3-bet and call with this stack dept I think (against a UTG open HU) but leaning towards a call. Since it is a multiway action before you I lean even more to a call.
Yeah the more, I think about it, the more I prefer to just call preflop and mostly play the hand as a setmine. On a flop like A93, we can easily get away with a minimal loss of chips, and if we smash our set, we have two deep stacked opponents, who might potentially pay us off.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Yeah the more, I think about it, the more I prefer to just call preflop and mostly play the hand as a setmine. On a flop like A93, we can easily get away with a minimal loss of chips, and if we smash our set, we have two deep stacked opponents, who might potentially pay us off.
Yes, in general, you do want to keep the players in when in the BB if you think they are bad (and in a freeroll, they are shall we say not expert level). In addition to the set-minining you can of course have the best hand at a low flop and win with a bet (or two) especially if checked to. You can and should also also call a least once on a low board with overpairs. It also depends on the player type of course. Some keep on betting even multiway with only overcards and some always check if they don't have an overpair themself - especially multiway.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This hand took place today in the $100 Cardschat freeroll on PartyPoker.

Thank you Cesar.

Pre-Flop:

Flop:

Showdown:

UTG+1 vence 91.220

We want to take the time to have a proper strategy for the game we are in. Having a game plan that we review prior to playing and during play helps remind us about the adjustments we need to make for situational poker
In freerolls we get less folding than we would want preflop so we are raising less often OOP- as others have stated.
What other adaptations would you add to your game plan for freerolls?

:unsure::geek:

Gritz18

Gritz18

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What other adaptations would you add to your game plan for freerolls?
I think that at the moment I don't need to make any adjustments to my game, the way I play, in my opinion, is as good as possible, I make some mistakes, like the one I mentioned above, but I always try to evolve my game, but as I play only freerolls it's difficult for you to improve a lot, because you face different scenarios all the time, and even though you have a good strategy, you will always have to count on the luck factor, and as my game volume is low, I will always be getting caught by the variance.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
That was very aggressive maybe 🤔 too aggressive. 38bb is a lot of chips and the fact that another player called the first raise just seeing a flop would be fine and maybe save you money but that’s poker you felt that you had to make a move but it was the wrong time. Thank you 🙏 for sharing.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
According to my experience, when a raise arrives on a bet and the person making this bet raises with a double reraise preflop, it is almost always a TOP pair where 10,10 is always behind.
But I know that it's still difficult to let go of the 10,10 pair, which is why I have too bad experiences with this situation. 😌