Status
Not open for further replies.
Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of bots on Full Tilt. Playing .05/.10 NLHE I have seen 2 today and 2 yesterday. I do enjoy taking their blinds.

why would a bot play 10nl? how do you know they were bots

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
arent bots suppose to be really easy to beat.. they only play big hands.. other than than you get there blinds....atleast thats what ive been told

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
arent bots suppose to be really easy to beat.. they only play big hands.. other than than you get there blinds....atleast thats what ive been told

It depends... some bots are as good as the pros, but they are expensive to run and are very difficult to obtain.

Woot 500 posts!

U

unchosen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can think of several reasons for Bots to play low level games.
  1. Quality of play is much worse at low levels. It is easier to win consistently over time when the play is bad. Players do not know or understand how to exploit weaknesses and tendencies at this level.
  2. Freeroll winnings galore. Many freeroll winners immediately sit down at low limit tables trying to become the next Chirs Moneymaker.
  3. Once you have designed a winning Bot, you still must avoid detection. This is probably easier at low limit games since players will be less likely to figure it out or complain about it, and the site will probably be less concerned than if it is winning at big money tables.
  4. Once you have designed a winning Bot, you can multi-table and also open several accounts through different internet connections. A Bot program could be winning around 3 dollars per 8 hour session 4-tabling (keep them to 8 hours for reason #3, avoiding detection. After all, real players must sleep, work, etc.) Now set up 100 acounts and you are bringing in $300 per day! 100 Bot accounts could be contrary to reason #3, however. But a programmer that can design a winning poker Bot can probably also mask this, but perhaps 10 accounts would be more realistic -- still $30 per day!
  5. The Bot is still being developed, perhaps with the ultimate goal of moving up in limits. Right now, it is not very good, but as the algorithm gets more sophisticated, it will move up in levels, if it turns out to be more profitable.
These are just a few that come to mind.

Well said. I don't understand how a bot can be used at a poker room though. Most/all poker rooms require your email to be validated before you can play. This should prevent any bots from playing at the poker room. If the poker room wants to be even more safe from preventing bots playing at there poker room, they can add captcha(image verification) on there register and login. I'm developing my own poker room, so I have to take all these things into consideration.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well said. I don't understand how a bot can be used at a poker room though. Most/all poker rooms require your email to be validated before you can play. This should prevent any bots from playing at the poker room. If the poker room wants to be even more safe from preventing bots playing at there poker room, they can add captcha(image verification) on there register and login. I'm developing my own poker room, so I have to take all these things into consideration.
Surely you would have an account with a poker site, sometimes you would play it and sometimes the bot would play it for you, for example when you go to work? Don't know much about it, but that was what I had always assumed. As poker sites make money from rake I would assume that they are not particularly opposed to bots as they are still making rake from it, but I would guess that they are tackling the problem in order to pacify concerns from customers that fear that they might be being ripped off by bots.

Infamous1020

Infamous1020

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
still dont get why a bot would play 10nl..

pretty much a waste of time. i mean bots play like nits right--so it should go play like 200nl full ring.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
still dont get why a bot would play 10nl..

pretty much a waste of time. i mean bots play like nits right--so it should go play like 200nl full ring.
Well you have been given a long list of possible reasons, but if you decide to not accept any of them that is your choice.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played in a tourney and it was full of "bots". Everybody "bot" in!:)

U

unchosen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely you would have an account with a poker site, sometimes you would play it and sometimes the bot would play it for you, for example when you go to work? Don't know much about it, but that was what I had always assumed. As poker sites make money from rake I would assume that they are not particularly opposed to bots as they are still making rake from it, but I would guess that they are tackling the problem in order to pacify concerns from customers that fear that they might be being ripped off by bots.

That's why when I make my poker room, I am going to do everything I can to prevent bots from playing on my site. I don't want any of our players to feel like they are being ripped off by bots. But I would be interested in getting one of these bots, to test them on pokerstars or full tilt.

D

Dertaderp23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know a bot called dertaderp...a real pain in my a$$ and its like everywhere I go it follows me

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i havent noticed a bot...but i registered from a sit an go today and I noticed that 2 players almost had the exact screen name. The only difference was a couple numbers. I unregistered for the tourney because I thought it was either a couple of bots or someone was multi accounting.

Bernard Pugi

Bernard Pugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't actually know what bots mean, but they say that they are aggressive and goes all in with a low hand and still wins the pot. Are bots really people playing online poker or not? Sorry for the amateur question.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bot is short for "robot". Did you ever play chess against a computer game? This is a similar sort of principle, only it's poker instead of chess.

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So do these bots play according to odds? Are they smart enough to know how much was bet to them and their odds of say hitting their flush/straight draw by calling this bet? How does a bot know how much to bet? Wouldn't you be able to figure out their coding and know exactly when they have a made hand?

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
posting bot links isn't the smartest idea in the world ~DM

Last edited by a moderator:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
posting bot links isn't the smartest idea in the world, please stop it.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny, right after I read this thread....I get the "bot elimination" chat prompt over at PokerStars during a Tournament (where you have to type in a word to prove you are playing).

One reason I like playing at PokerStars better, I feel they do a much better job at security than most other sites (although they are not perfect by any means)

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anybody ever dressed up as a pokerbot for the wsop ME?
Because that would be hilarious.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny, right after I read this thread....I get the "bot elimination" chat prompt over at PokerStars during a Tournament (where you have to type in a word to prove you are playing).

One reason I like playing at PokerStars better, I feel they do a much better job at security than most other sites (although they are not perfect by any means)

That's interesting, did you by any chance open either of the two links that were posted here earlier before they were removed?

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't worry too much about bots in NL. Their play would most likely very
predicable and easily exploited. Which is why they are playing lower stakes
against weaker and less observant players.
Imo I would welcome bots in NL but limit would be a bit different I would guess.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's interesting, did you by any chance open either of the two links that were posted here earlier before they were removed?

Heh..that would be funny..but no I would never visit one of those sites.

If they are schemers enough to invent bots to cheat poker players, they are smart enough to try and attack visiting computers with spam bots and maybe worse (that my anti virus might miss)

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh..that would be funny..but no I would never visit one of those sites.

If they are schemers enough to invent bots to cheat poker players, they are smart enough to try and attack visiting computers with spam bots and maybe worse (that my anti virus might miss)

No problem WEC, I only asked out of interest because I know that poker rooms can tell if any of their players have visited those kind of web sites through the client we all download ( and update ) when we join a poker room.
That's why I asked really, I just wondered if that might of been the reason you got the chat prompt. It would of indicated Pokerstars pro-active methods were very much on the ball.
They do appear to be the most difficult nut to crack for bot users/programmers though from what I have learned. Way ahead of FTP's methods, and worlds ahead of a lot of the lesser poker rooms.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm developing my own poker room, so I have to take all these things into consideration.

Hello unchosen, when you say you are developing your own poker room, do you mean you are doing the whole thing from scratch yourself?
If yes, how far along are you, and how much of an investment do you think you will need to have spent to reach launch day?

That's why when I make my poker room, I am going to do everything I can to prevent bots from playing on my site. I don't want any of our players to feel like they are being ripped off by bots. But I would be interested in getting one of these bots, to test them on pokerstars or full tilt.

If you do get one of those bots ( like the one you linked perhaps ) you do realise that all ( or most ) of the poker rooms prohibit their use at their rooms. You will most likely find that you no longer have an account at Pokerstars and Full Tilt shortly after acquiring your bot, and you will be no longer welcome to play at their rooms. Thought you might like to know this and tbh, you should already, considering you are opening your own room.

Status
Not open for further replies.