Why do players not chat anymore?

S

scottish770

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find depending on the stakes and if its a tourney, but if the table has a good feel, you can get quite chatty with some players. As soon as a bunch of pre flop re-raises, aggressive knockouts that brings a different tone and it will definitely change table dynamics. You can literally feel the mental buckle up and shut up moment happen at tables where it started out nice table banter and back and forth, it's quite funny to pinpoint that moment when it happens.

JohnWayne329

JohnWayne329

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As for me, i am always chatting. Try micro limits:)

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think sites that cheat make it so bad that people don't want to talk. they pit us against each other by not following conventional poker math. At this one site, let's call it "cheat on line" I literally just lost with K7 vs K6 in a tournament, post flop. They keep us apart so that they can screw us. Then they get people to describe their robberies as "variance" and who the heck wants to talk now?

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Manners have worsened in the past 5 years. I say hi once in a while, but try not to give any tells in chat. Some folks use it as another bullet in their arsenal to annoy a person and get them to go into a pot with a sub-optimal hand.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
More and more people use smartphones when playing, and for them chatting is too cumbersome or even disabled altogether.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Chats not always the best to do when playing as its a distraction. Also not knowing others its not easy to just start chatting. Also its what chat has become. Some people only use the chat to be abusive *****s at times. In the last few months I have seen several instances that were a bit rude and even pointed at me. Some can be funny as hell when people rant but again this is not what its for.

pokerlife96

pokerlife96

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's because a lot of players play a lot of tables

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
multiple tables, side work on another monitor, or just no point unless final table at times

L

Lol1x1

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing online poker a few years ago, there was a lot of chatter at the tables.
Today players don't communicate much.
Why?
Everyone imagines themselves to be pros) and try to keep the poker face in front of the monitor:D

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone imagines themselves to be pros) and try to keep the poker face in front of the monitor:D

some sometimes even put real chips and cards in front of them, so that the immersion becomes complete:D:D

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing online poker some years ago, there was a lot of chat at the the tables.
Today players do not chat much.
Why?

I am playing at most about 1400 hands per hour. I don't have time to care about comments I'm reading. I play like a robot as close to GTO as possible. Most of the time comments are negative in nature anyway. I have no room to care about that sort of thing. My pocket Aces got sucked out by your 72o and you think that's hilarious? I've probably played 16 more hands in the time it took you to respond to me and I forgot about it.

I would say that's the main reason. Now if I'm playing on a sit still table then ya a little chit chatter happens. I just don't enjoy that setup though unless I am playing live.

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well - regulars communicate!! and young people only swear and hype

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Programs like table ninja, multi tables, bots, chats on different platforms for collusions, cell phone text, discord, twitter….

The supplied chat is not the only method anymore.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta stay Focused

For me. it's difficult to type messages and stay focused on the table action

it's pretty easy to miss an important call or raise if my attention is on composing a reply and clicking on the keyboard

AND, I'm a horrible typist - so I just don't chat - usually

TC

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's because many players play several tables at the same time and for that you need more concentration

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A few reasons. One is theyre focused on the fame. Another is theyre playing multiple tables. Theyre also focusing on their HUDS and charts and such. Some are even using RTA and colluding with other communtication methods. Some are even bots. Sometimes I watch twitch or a ball game when I'm playing. You'll notice a lot of times people only chat to say something negative and verbally assault other players. This shows they are kind of miserable and probably wouldn't have any interest in friendly chat.

I actually like chatting at the tables.

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chatting

no chatting because its being use to aggravate a player making him not really focused on the game.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm trying to refrain from using the chat. All I type are nasty grams of how folks do bad, silly things that make absolutely ZERO SENSE but I know that it comes from their lack of understanding. Its something I gotta work on.

Playing a freeroll and I should know better but I just called out someone for going all in with ace little trying to protect their BB from a steal with blinds only at 30/60 and they had over 25bbs.

I'm putting the keyboard down, lol.

B

beatlebug

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players are having a good time playing their game. Chatting takes away their concentration so better not to chat. It allows you to think of the good ways to play.

Beatlebug

S

sirtintly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From my own perspective... I don't chat at the tables because the people that do are toxic. Nothing good is ever written in the chat so I tend to only look at the stats tab most of the time.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I started playing online poker some years ago, there was a lot of chat at the the tables.
Why?

I think a huge part of this is probably because even though in real life I am an absolute slice of apple pie..... online It talk maddddddd sh*t to people when my pocket 2s crack your aces. I think people are too distracted by shoving bad hands and just playing around for the lol's, and being drunk...

Of course at the higher levels of play they are probably trying to focus and couuldn't care less what some idiot is saying in the chat.

Have you also noticed that the chat is always in some heinous and hard to reach place? I have yet to see a site where it is nicely interactive and easy to view. I think that has to be a huge part of it as well. Me personally even though I play for fun...I just never want to chat all that much. It's seems to distract me.

Stasey

Stasey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my case, I just don't have enough time. But usually, I am a friendly player.

lostboy2020

lostboy2020

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why?
too much trouble, i sit min of 6 ft from a keyboard use visual keyboard i do show a few cards depending on table