Are online poker hand generators really random?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have these generators ever been audited?
Yes.

Honestly if you're regularly concerning yourself with this while playing, you're doing yourself a huge disservice. imo, thinking like this will lead to tilt... or at least it will be far from optimal.

I've played online (recreationally... but very often) for 17 years. I'm completely confident with the RNG. (in my first few months I often had doubts but this is also normal for someone starting out)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have these generators ever been audited?
It's not just a question of whether they get audited (the answer is that they do) but more so how they get audited and for what aspects of play.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The amount of online poker I’ve played, it just seems like there are so many situations where players are influenced to get all their money in and a hand who has no business calling sucks out on the river.
This is all about emotions. If the opponent played poorly ("had no business calling"), then you feel, that you deserve to win 100% of the time, even though the math say, you are only supposed to win 80% of the time, or whatever the number is. So whenever the 20% happen, you get upset and feel, something is wrong. But players making bad calls are exactly, what makes poker profitable. So if you want to win, bad beats are just something, you need to come to peace with. I recommend this video as the first step in fixing this mental game leak.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is all about emotions. If the opponent played poorly ("had no business calling"), then you feel, that you deserve to win 100% of the time, even though the math say, you are only supposed to win 80% of the time, or whatever the number is. So whenever the 20% happen, you get upset and feel, something is wrong.
This is a gross oversimplification of what happens and it's a narrative that gets repeated over and over to belittle players that feel that there is something strange going on.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a gross oversimplification of what happens
No its not. Its exactly, what happens, no more and no less.
and it's a narrative that gets repeated over and over to belittle players that feel that there is something strange going on.
Its a narrative, that gets repeated over and over, to try to help people solve this mental game leak and be able to enjoy poker more and/or become winning players.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No its not. Its exactly, what happens, no more and no less.

Its a narrative, that gets repeated over and over, to try to help people solve this mental game leak and be able to enjoy poker more and/or become winning players.
It's what you think and say that it is, based on your own experiences, and nothing more than that. And what you are saying is specific to online poker, not poker in general, unless there are some much bigger issues in play.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I was hoping you was one who had noticed the clusters of unnatural situations brought about by the algorithms regarding the RNG fulfilling it's quota..... The disappointment lol 😭

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
The aliens that run the simulation we live in must have some fun.

Enjoy the matrix.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's what you think and say that it is, based on your own experiences, and nothing more than that. And what you are saying is specific to online poker, not poker in general,
Wrong. I believe fun is basing it off of the experience (& KNOWLEDGE) of thousands of good poker players.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This is a discussion that will last for eternity.
But I personally don't believe it's random in terms of the set of cards that are dealt to the players and the table. But I believe that the choice of which player will receive which cards is random so that no player is favored. This would be a way to balance the game between professional and amateur players as it is not interesting for professionals to massacre amateurs. This would make amateurs abandon the game, as no one is there to lose. So how to make the game balanced between professionals and amateurs and still be fair (random)? Causing strong hands to have a lower winning percentage. And how to do this and maintain randomness? Distributing hands randomly among players at the table.
Well, my theory is a little crazy and sometimes I don't even understand exactly what I mean... but that's it.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wrong. I believe fun is basing it off of the experience (& KNOWLEDGE) of thousands of good poker players.
And you not being one of them, gramps. But you sure do feel the need to defend them all.
But I personally don't believe it's random in terms of the set of cards that are dealt to the players and the table. But I believe that the choice of which player will receive which cards is random so that no player is favored. This would be a way to balance the game between professional and amateur players as it is not interesting for professionals to massacre amateurs. This would make amateurs abandon the game, as no one is there to lose. So how to make the game balanced between professionals and amateurs and still be fair (random)? Causing strong hands to have a lower winning percentage. And how to do this and maintain randomness? Distributing hands randomly among players at the table.
What you're describing is a normal poker game. Strong hands do not have a lower winning percentage. Everything wins as much as it is supposed to.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands