AKs vs QQ : Which one do you prefer to have?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Simple answer for me. Pocket queens are a made hand and Ak is just ace high. While I understand why some people would prefer Ak and it can win if it does not improve you are hoping the other player does not improve where QQ is a very strong pair to start with.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
certainly I will prefer to be with QQ pre flop because I would already be winning the hand like any other pair against AK so I choose QQ

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer a pair QQ.
Of course, there are different situations, but a pair, in my opinion, is an obvious advantage. With such a hand you have to play aggressively enough so that opponents with AK have fewer chances. I think in most cases it would be possible to go all-in :)

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I prefer QQ, because pair always have more probability to win.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I always choose QQ’s over AK guaranteed pair any day.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I prefer QQ but most of the time the opponent hits A or K and makes my days dark!

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Qq better odds preflop and easier to play post flop

N

neverbluff0799

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ive lost way too many times with AK i take QQ anytime of the day!!!

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
QQ - of course :)
With a pair in hand you have more chances, but in any case you have to consider the situation at the table and play correctly. I understand that we are talking about preflop, so you have to either play all-in, or play based on the situation, but definitely quite aggressively.

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
QQ in the vast majority of siutations overall but there are occasions where I find AK easier to play in cash games. I'm still a beginner, so my logic might not be 100% correct.

With AK it's advantageous to see all 5 cards. If I 3 bet, and am then 4 bet I don't like calling. They potentially have QQ, JJ or 10 10 as well as the other obvious hands. If I call and miss the flop what do I do? It's easier for me to rip it all in, or to fold if I think I'm up against someone who only 4 bets AA and KK. Only 2 options to choose from can streamline my thinking and I might prefer AK in those spots.

I might also move all in vs a 3 bet with 1 to 2 callers at times too. The player(s) who called the 3 bet didn't 4 bet so I'm thinking they probably don't have AA or KK. The player who originally 3 bet still could so that's a risk. With the dead money in the pot it could be worth it to get it all in.

Assuming 100 BB effective stacks. 1.5BB in the pot from the blinds. I raise to 2.5BBs, it's 3 bet to 7.5BB, one cold caller. 19 BBs in the pot by the time the action comes back to me. If I move all in with AK for 97.5BBs and get one caller holding a pair other than AA or KK, I've put my remaining 97.5 BBs in to potentially take down a 214 BB pot I'd need 45% equity to make it worth it. With AK suited I'm just about there vs QQ or a lower pair, with AK off-suit I'm not quite. I have added fold equity though, and I'd be taking down the pot pre-flop at least a certain percentage of the time.

Something to also consider if I am called by one player holding QQ, JJ, 10 10 etc. in that situation is that the player I folded out might well have held one of my outs. He could easily have 3 bet, or called a 3 bet with AJ, AQ, KQ, KJ suited etc.

QQ I can see more flops with, and proceed from there in certain spots. That flexibility is nice to have at times, but can make me feel uncertain in my decision making on occasion. In that same 3 bet pot +1 caller scenario from above do I 4 bet to around 30 BBs, move all in, or call, facing 2 players post flop? It's an extra decision to potentially get wrong. Post-flop position comes into play as well. With more experience I'm sure I won't worry so much.

Generally though it has to be QQ, especially heads up or against each other of course!

Last edited:
pundim

pundim

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
pre-flop => AK
post-flop => QQ, all the way

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definently prefer the ladies.

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
QQ is a ready high pair. Definieltely QQ but wouldm't mind AK especially suited.

machinm19

machinm19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Queens all the way for me. AK is not as good a hand as people think and is only even a small favourite over something like 10 9

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I prefer QQ because, as a pair, it already holds strong value.
Additionally, with QQ, you have a clearer idea of your hand's strength right from the start, whereas AK might require more context from the board.
Possibly, Funtast's reply might have played a role as well 🙄

doubledribl

doubledribl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On 888 in the situation as in the screenshot, AK would be the absolute nuts. So all situations

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
QQ all the way, QQ even block AK straight.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, QQ will always be more profitable and much easier to play, especially in cash games. I've played more than 300k hands in cash games and the hands that I see most players losing 100bb are with hands like AKs and AKo. Almost always like this villain open and AK raises to 6bb or 8bb or 9bb, on the flop when A or K, X and X hits, the player with AK goes to Cbet and villain check raises and then what does he do with AK? is losing to 2 pairs or trips. With QQ, if you don't hit A or K on the flop, hardly any player will lose 100bb, but if you hit Q on the flop you will win a lot. QQ, much easier to play.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If we are talking about personal prefference I would go with AKs. althought AKs is way harder to play. it's a coin flip pre-flop, with the QQ slightly ahead. But AKs is a personal choice. Of Spades xD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
:qs4::qh4: is a ready-made hand to win with which you don’t need to wait for additional cards!!! In addition, when playing all-in, you will very often encounter a pair less than :qs4::qh4: and this is 80/20, while with :as4::kh4: this indicator will always remain a coin!!!