Wanna get better at MTT games? Start with those free rolls.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do get to the point where you just want to play with better players. But most of the time that will cost you money, so make the choice to spend that money I suppose.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You do get to the point where you just want to play with better players. But most of the time that will cost you money, so make the choice to spend that money I suppose.

Correct and I think you must go play the better players in the buy in games eventually or else you cannot take the next step in your game. That is the best place to witness advanced plays such as traps and squeeze plays.

We are so lucky to have options they never did before OLP. Can you imagine how expensive it was just to get 1000 hands worth of practice in Doyles day? Now you can get tens of thousands on the cheap, even if paying for it.

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually it's a pretty good advise! I find micros and freerolls almost the same. Ofc there's a bigger chance to find a good player at micros. Learning by playing freerolls is far better than playing with "Play Money". Also it's a good thing to try to get into a poker forum as CC, learn from the better players, watch them, study them and observe a pattern on different levels.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning the game via freerolls is a good way to start. There are a lot of decent players on these freerolls that you can learn from. Be patient and start with them and take notes if need be. I have never deposited any $ on a site. I have money in my accounts on three sites now, over $400 in one that I will be cashing out some shortly.

ChrisDaBomb

ChrisDaBomb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the only thing you can get out of a free roll is patience, patience, and patience.

T

turbolaacis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes is good be agresive whith you have good combination but other maybe have draw.
Many players play if you check they bet when they have nothing...
Wery hard game is poker... you don't know what is your opponent...

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don"t think playing free rolls will get you better at mtts regardless of how bad the players are.

I think starting at the micros, studying and doing hand reviews will actually improve you MTT a lot more than seeing tons of mistakes and gambles we see in free rolls. Even at micros, where the investment is small, sure you do get tons of bad players to see what are bad plays. However, they are no where near as crazy as they have some money on the line and I think you see by far enough mistakes in the micros to improve your game whilst also getting a better feeling for mtts in general.

I think free rolls in general are a terrible place to learn, unless they are private free rolls, other than that they are a waste of time and you learn nothing. :)

I believe there is much to be gained from playing freerolls especially if you routinely make final tables. As fields shrink due to bustouts, freerolls come closer and closer to approximating real money play. After all, if you can't beat the poor play found in freerolls, what makes you think you can survive when real money is on the line? To an extent I understand that real money and freeroll tournaments are entirely different animals but, like i've said, as you make it deeper and deeper into the tournament and especially at the final table the differences between the two "animals" becomes negligible

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything is possible.But building a bankroll from freeroll require a lot of time and patience.

Himanshu

Himanshu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think freeroll is poker its more like bingo and with over 1000 to 7000 entries in a freeroll its too time consuming with less or no reword depending on your luck not your skills if you win a freeroll and think you got good poker skills just think again. best way to learn poker is to play normal Sit and go tournaments.

Top 10 Games