The Key to Playing Draws (Day 10 Course Discussion)

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm enjoying in the way of deep explanation from Collin and Katie when is needed, when is not they slowly introduce the ideas and you can feel how well designed the course is. Pure example is how they introduce bluffing through draws.
One of the most important thing in this course is number of played hands that are hardest to play and explaining the idea behind the plays and most important that everything is based on science and odds.

I highly recommend to everyone, even if you are experienced player I'm sure that you will find something to expand your strategy.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is one of the most counter-intuitive ideas when playing poker and was certainly something I did wrong until recently. Most people think neutral or passive actions give them time to hit their draw and so, it's better to take one of those actions.
In reality, that leaves two options: hit the draw and probably win, or miss the draw and lose.
If we play draws aggressively, it leaves three options: win with a Villain fold, win with hitting the draw or lose if you miss.
If we use implied odds/pot odds to guide our play in these scenarios, draws are amazing to get.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm enjoying in the way of deep explanation from Collin and Katie when is needed, when is not they slowly introduce the ideas and you can feel how well designed the course is. Pure example is how they introduce bluffing through draws.
One of the most important thing in this course is number of played hands that are hardest to play and explaining the idea behind the plays and most important that everything is based on science and odds.

I highly recommend to everyone, even if you are experienced player I'm sure that you will find something to expand your strategy.

Thanks very much! :)

I think this is one of the most counter-intuitive ideas when playing poker and was certainly something I did wrong until recently. Most people think neutral or passive actions give them time to hit their draw and so, it's better to take one of those actions.
In reality, that leaves two options: hit the draw and probably win, or miss the draw and lose.
If we play draws aggressively, it leaves three options: win with a Villain fold, win with hitting the draw or lose if you miss.
If we use implied odds/pot odds to guide our play in these scenarios, draws are amazing to get.
Such a good point that it is a very counter-intuitive!

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluff as part of the strategy is counter-intuitive in the first place, right?

I agree with this. It might seem like bluffing is throwing money away, but good play definitely involves a bluffing frequency!

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
very interesting how to behave in Draws I learned a lot about Draws.
depending on which hand is in a draw and calculating your odds I can try to extract the maximum of my opponent's chips

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent chapter, prepares us for the next ...

We're so glad you enjoyed it :)

very interesting how to behave in Draws I learned a lot about Draws.
depending on which hand is in a draw and calculating your odds I can try to extract the maximum of my opponent's chips

Great to hear this chapter helped you!

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to play the draws correctly is one of the important points in poker. The most important question for me. How often in practice do we consider pot odds and implied odds when making a decision with a draw? As it turns out I don’t consider the chances at all.
A large amount of work must now be done to make this a habit.

D

donjar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, thank you for the videos. It has been very helpful so far!

I have a question about "playing draws more passively when you have showdown value". This doesn't really make sense to me. If your cards have showdown value, it is logical to me that you should bet more compared to those that do not. And if we bet bigger, we will get more value from those that are below us, and possibly make those with better cards than us fold, right? Won't aggressive play be better most of the time anyways?

Thank you!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How to play the draws correctly is one of the important points in poker. The most important question for me. How often in practice do we consider pot odds and implied odds when making a decision with a draw? As it turns out I don’t consider the chances at all.
A large amount of work must now be done to make this a habit.

It's awesome that you're doing the work to make this happen--ideally we should consider this each and every time :)

Hi, thank you for the videos. It has been very helpful so far!

I have a question about "playing draws more passively when you have showdown value". This doesn't really make sense to me. If your cards have showdown value, it is logical to me that you should bet more compared to those that do not. And if we bet bigger, we will get more value from those that are below us, and possibly make those with better cards than us fold, right? Won't aggressive play be better most of the time anyways?

Thank you!

Great question! When we talk about showdown value, we mean weaker hands that still have at least a shot of winning if it goes to showdown. While what a showdown value hand means will vary somewhat with every hand/board, it refers to hands like King High and similar. By definition, these are the types of hands that are unlikely to get worse hands to call if we bet (because they will be too weak to call a bet) or achieve the purpose of getting better hands to fold. Playing more passively in these spots allows us the potential to improve our hand cheaply while simultaneously avoiding the risk of unnecessarily turning our hand into a bluff.

In general, yes we will be playing draws aggressively, but times where we have showdown value is one of those rare times where I tend to advocate a little more passivity for the above reasons. Hope this helps :)

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Understanding pot odds has been a strength but I have not been applying it correctly to drawing hands. Reading the chapter and watching the video has crystallised the correct approach and it makes sense more so when you consider your opponents reaction to your play, using the same rationale. The examples of three different starting stacks in the book brings the concept home nicely.

Thankyou.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Great chart.

Definitely wish I had seen this earlier in my poker days. I used to overplay draws when I had no fold equity.

The chart with this module is an excellent tool which I will have open for the weekend games

T

Tux97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Prior to taking this course I would have folded this hand. I was afraid if i didn't flop the nutz.
Now I consider continuing on looking for draw possibilities. :rolleyes:

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/4qrTcLK

Typically I would have folded to the first raiser. After the flop I realize I have a gutshot draw and possible flush. Then my draw looks even better.

Couple weeks ago this never could have happened Great Course Thankyou
VNH congratulations. I think villain was making a mistake in not betting strongly enough thus giving you the necessary implied odds.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for this excellent study material, I am getting better at the tables, and I am eager to put into practice everything I am studying.;)

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for this excellent study material, I am getting better at the tables, and I am eager to put into practice everything I am studying.;)
Happy to hear that Day 10 was helpful to you :)

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is why i love poker,is you have thsi studied there is no way u can louse at poker.
This is linked to preflop strategy and post flop Cbetting planification.
Iff u have a good plan pre flop, u have studied at least the 12 or 15 flops tipes them you know wish off your proyect are the good ones to raise and play agrasivelly and valance ur monsters hands and wish one you play by X/C wile in odd,because iff you dont plan this you will be disvalanced to,or either bluff to manny draws or bluff few off them,and bouth thingh are bad

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made the draw chart on page 52 my desktop wallpaper, makes for easy reference during games!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Accordingly, the draws must be played aggressively by default,
particularly when you will not win in the match
no improvements.
I usually play it like this especially for flush draw.

L

landino67

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

I appreciate all the help it’s nice knowing when it’s favorable to chase.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I appreciate all the help it’s nice knowing when it’s favorable to chase.

Yes and remember to play the draws aggressively if it all possible based on the situation :)

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One of the biggest mistakes that are made pre-flop is hand selection. How a draw should be played depends on many factors: number and type of opponents, the appearance of the board, relative position and strength of the draw.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I learned a lot how to play the draw with this course. now i will not make mistakes as i was doing, whenever i had a hand considered strong i would go in there without thinking. but I learned a lot now

H

hanio75

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in this lesson I learned should play my draw cards betting or raising , get a default agressively. Against tight players I should just call with a flush or straight draw since the vilain didn't often have the so strong hand defending. Already at the Pot multiway is good I have a gutshot straight draw on the button or if when there more that four players had checked or showed up weakness, semi-bluff
even your weakest draws or when dosen't shearched to protect his hand, I can hit and try get the nuts to win the pot on the river. Well I hope have gotten understood.