I feel like i am a great player but emotion is ruining my game.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You say you think you are a great player, but this includes not tilting and self control, its within the skill set beeing a great player. Just play tons of games and it bother you much anymore.
I also can recommend Jared Tendlers book.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your emotions are getting in the way then clearly you aren't as good a player as you think you are. Only practice will help stop this.

Yoshimiii

Yoshimiii

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You say you think you are a great player, but this includes not tilting and self control, its within the skill set beeing a great player. Just play tons of games and it bother you much anymore.
I also can recommend Jared Tendlers book.

This. I should have read this post before posting :D.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important part of the game is emotional control. You can only control how you play. If you get your money in good the outcome of the hand shouldn't matter. If you get your money in good more often than not over time you will be successful. Good luck.

feffy

feffy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, it happens all the emotions ruin the game ...

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to hear man its tough but honestly emotions get high take a breather workout. Don't let emotions take control separating emotions from poker is key to being a successful at it.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotion is more of a factor when you are being results-oriented (which let's face it, everyone is on some level) then focusing on whether you made the correct play. If your play was correct, then you shouldn't let it bother you too much as this is what poker is all about. If you play great poker, the results should come.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds to me like you have some inbalances in your game,
you may be quite strong in playing your good hands well and you may be calling when your ahead.

the question is can you take bad beats on the chin and do you know when to fold.
you have to be able to fold like two pair if your 4 way in a pot and obviously behind, or you have to understan if you have top pair on the flop and it goes all in.. your going to lose a fair percentage of the time by the river
some players fall in love with aces and when they lose they are going bannana's
its really no big deal unless you isolate your more likely to lose the pot.

*this is what you need to do
Identify when its a good time to call an all in or push a hand likely to win.
and identify when you should play to showdown , and with the information you have gathered you have to try and decide what is most profitable for you.
and alas - earns you the most chips long turn

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, mental game is a big part of poker success. There are some good books on the subject, like Elements of Poker, The Poker Mindset, and The Mental Game of Poker. You should check those out.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im confused? you have A K, and you shove it all in pre? is this MTT or cash, either way its not a really good strategy, unless its an MTT and you have <25 If they call you with trash then YAY your winning, but you will only progress 60% of the time, this is why shoving A K pre is not a good strategy, a good player knows how to play post flop and will want to see a flop with these hands, if you miss it doesnt matter

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most of the comments! You must let your feelings aside when do you play poker! You have to concentrate 100% that will keep you cool when you should take difficult decisions! If you had a bad day poker can help you escape from the problems but probably your game is bad because your head and your unconscious will be in addition and not in the game! Play poker when you're well, so really good results! A hug and successes!

crisbiazus17

crisbiazus17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I'm not sure people would be comfortable with that.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One strategy is to play only in ring games, then quit when you go on tilt.

1bollywood1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorrry but if you dont control ur emotions , u are not so good as u feel cause it is a part of the game .
sure a break is necessry when u loose patience .
alot of players have leaks ( me a lot) so u have to work on it .
if u loose and played ur Agame so its a bad run but u still progress.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah , me too. When I'm relaxed and focused I play fabulous and I even have more luck. But as soon as I lose 3 - 4 hands having bad luck I lose my head and I lose a lot of money...I just don't know how to solve that...

P

pierceisgod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play too much poker in one day I think this is bound to happen it really depends on how emotionally capable you are to let a bad beat go or if something happens that really tilts you to let it go.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
seems like you play tournaments. Just so you know you probably will cash around 12-16% and that's if you are good. The best cash at around 20%

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving with AK-AQ preflop is a bad play, getting all your money in with A high is terrible. Seems to me PATIENCE is your biggest problem. Good luck!

Shoving AK/AQ pre-flop is a bad play? You do realize poker is a situational game and lot of times, AKis a powerful hand. Except to AA/KK, it puts every pocket pair into a coin-flip while dominates any non-pair cards. If players are capable of calling the shove with inferior hands, there's nothing wrong with the shove. After all, this forum talks a lot about EV and if you get your chips in with +EV, there's NOTHING bad about it. And besides, you do get fold equity on top of it.

If you're shoving with a hand where you expect and want people to call you with inferior hand, then it's a good play. In microstakes, this is very common.

However, if you're talking about shoving pre-flop in a deepstack cash games or deepstack tournament with AK against another deepstack, then it is generally a bad play.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi!! Controll your tilt man... Emotion is a part of the game... Good game!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If emotions are getting the better of you, then you're not a great player.

Just take a break when you feel irritated.
Believe me, 3 or 4 runner runners in a row will do that to ya. Just curse out that fish that just took your coins and take a break. Don't play for a few days if you need the time off.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If emotions are getting the better of you, then you're not a great player.

Just take a break when you feel irritated.
Believe me, 3 or 4 runner runners in a row will do that to ya. Just curse out that fish that just took your coins and take a break. Don't play for a few days if you need the time off.

LMFAO at "curse out that fish". As much as how much it sucks when fish takes your money, you want that fish to make that horrible decision all day. I learned this the hard way but you NEVER EVER curse out the fish. I hate it when idiots curse out the fish in chatbox or in person. They're making fishes realize their mistakes. You don't EVER encourage or imply them to fix their game. Just say "nice hand" or "sick hand". Revealing your true, frustrated emotions is a sign of bad player because you hint good players that you're frustrated and tilted, hence letting them take advantage of you. As much as how hard it is to hide away your emotions, you shrug it off and just smile, aka facading that you're there to have fun and you're used to it, even though you don't really feel that way.

I'll tell you right now. Thanks to people like you who criticized others for making horrible decision and get lucky, I was able to learn and fix my leaks and my game. Back when I was a fish who overvalued low pocket pairs, people criticized me for calling with pocket 2s over Q9s. Looking back now, it was a bad call. But if these idiots never opened their mouth, I wouldn't have realized or talked about it, or even considered putting that hand up for hand analysis. I probably wouldn't even have joined this site in the first place because I would have ego stuck up in my ass thinking I'm good enough, which is what I did in the past, playing at $5/$10 and then later, as I was slowly getting crushed, I decided to relearn the game and start from microstakes(which I still am since I used to play microstakes $2-$5 sngs online before Black Friday, and I currently play $1/$2 cash games live and $0.25/$0.50 live home games through meetup site).

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think u need to cultivate patience as it plays a pivotal role in poker....
Ur emotions will ruin ur game standard as its happening to you...
One will learn to overcome emotions by playing and playing over time...
Also meditate for half to one hour everyday, this will improve ur focus, concentration and stop u from getting carried away by emotions...
Good luck for your future games...

F

FireMedic815

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel as though i am a better poker player then my results are showing simply because i let emotion run my game sub consciously and i do not know how to remove this from my game, can anyone help?
I think every player has struggled with emotion and it can be tough to take emotion out of the game, but you really need to make an effort to do so. I really think that expectations lead to disappointments. What I mean by that is lets say you're dealt aces, so you already are expecting to win a big pot and when your aces get cracked you feel like it is unfair and you go on tilt. While it is a good strategy to try and build a pot pre flop with aces, you are not guaranteed to win by the river, it is up to you as a player to navigate post flop and put your opponents on a range of hands and make the best decisions you can. Also if you get your chips in as a big favorite and your opponent hits a 20 or 30 percent hand, this should not be upsetting to you, because in the long run you are going to make money getting it in good. I would concentrate on taking expectations out of the game and I think your tilt factor will go way down.
Hope this helps, and gl at the tables :)

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LMFAO at "curse out that fish". As much as how much it sucks when fish takes your money, you want that fish to make that horrible decision all day. I learned this the hard way but you NEVER EVER curse out the fish. I hate it when idiots curse out the fish in chatbox or in person. They're making fishes realize their mistakes. You don't EVER encourage or imply them to fix their game. Just say "nice hand" or "sick hand". Revealing your true, frustrated emotions is a sign of bad player because you hint good players that you're frustrated and tilted, hence letting them take advantage of you. As much as how hard it is to hide away your emotions, you shrug it off and just smile, aka facading that you're there to have fun and you're used to it, even though you don't really feel that way.

I'll tell you right now. Thanks to people like you who criticized others for making horrible decision and get lucky, I was able to learn and fix my leaks and my game. Back when I was a fish who overvalued low pocket pairs, people criticized me for calling with pocket 2s over Q9s. Looking back now, it was a bad call. But if these idiots never opened their mouth, I wouldn't have realized or talked about it, or even considered putting that hand up for hand analysis. I probably wouldn't even have joined this site in the first place because I would have ego stuck up in my ass thinking I'm good enough, which is what I did in the past, playing at $5/$10 and then later, as I was slowly getting crushed, I decided to relearn the game and start from microstakes(which I still am since I used to play microstakes $2-$5 sngs online before Black Friday, and I currently play $1/$2 cash games live and $0.25/$0.50 live home games through meetup site).

I mean curse him out to your computer screen, not in chatterbox.

You shd see what I call these guys I have marked as fishes in my player notes.

I hardly ever chat. The time I ever talk--and it's rare--is to taunt the guys who are dissing other players.

I generally know what to do against the more competent players. But against the diarrhea players I really am helpless when I run bad because there's no fold equity and they literally can have ATC.

In the last week I've added a lot of 3 and 4 letter words to player notes LOL... been on a horrible run.

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I t6hink ak is the third best hand for all in, so i go always all in with ak and mostly win. But i have played a freeroll the last time in pokerstars and loosed ak against aq 85k chips. I was so aggressive that i go all in with j6 and lost my last 20k. I also cannot control myself from agression in the poker game. I also even destroyed a lap top because of poker, would you recommend me not to play poker.

Top 10 Games