How do you handle variance/poker swings

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey buddy,

I can't answer regarding the BRM side of things, but are you asking about the emotional control on how to handle variance?

Or tilt?

I have a very Zen approach to both, trying my best to stay in the present moment.

Jared Tendler has some wonderful videos on emotional self-control, to avoid chip-spewing, etc.

What Is Variance?

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
@bear thanks for the video, i'll certainly watch it. it's definitely not the brm part of things...it's more emotional/mental for me so this is perfect. as i mentioned, i've taken the advice of one of the posters and started to mix in some higher level buy ins (namely $2 sngs and $5 mtts and it's working very well for me. awesome and helpful members. much appreciated.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still cannot it very well. I can acccept losing even a third of hands where i am a 75% fav or better, but losing 12 in a row? That is bullshit. The only reliable way for me is to quit because no way i untilt because i cannot rationally under the odds of .25 to the 12th power happening to me.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
last week i was on tilt from playing both sngs and mtts (usual micro stakes). all of my cards were getting beat...aa<jj/qq, kk<jj/tt/99, aks<aq/aj, ak<a2, etc. it got to the point of me being able to predict what cards would come on the turn and/or river to bust me. i was on a $30 downswing, which is quite a lot for a $1-2 sng and $1-2 mtt player. as such i stepped away from poker altogether for about a week. luckily, i had a business trip and couldn't play poker on my work laptop. for the 3 days i've been back from the trip, i've grinded back about $18 of the $30 i lost playing my usual micro sng and mtt. it definitely helps to stay away from poker completely to clear the mind (with the exception of forums).

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands