Can you be the best poker player in the world?

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played so many years, now i know for sure i even can't be a good amateur. :)

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone can become the best player in the world, especially in their own opinion.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But think with me, to be the best I can be to reach the top. Don't limit yourself, I don't just talk about poker, but about life!

it is within your reach to become a pro...if you have devotion...AND natural talent.

what comes after that...is up to you...probably.

what is the difference between lionel messi and robbie fowler (...er..who he..??..)...exactly. Both were / are pros...with natural talent and devotion.

keep it real...never give up...understand the difference between fantasy and reality...

i wish you lots of run good, psychic self protection..and the will to succeed.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who is the best poker player largely just comes down to subjective opinion. I want to be known as the poker player who made the most money. What people think about how I play the game isn't that important.

L

LiubomyrS

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you put a lot of effort and time into learning poker, I think you can become one of the best.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At one time Jamie Gold who had won the wsop was the player who won the most money,is that means he was the best player in world? Impossible : a terrible player ,you can just check youtube and realize how bad he is.
I cannot be the best player because you need to have a lot qualities to succeed,dedication ,reading abilities,lot of luck and I dont possess none of them

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I completely agree! )
with the author of the topic

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
You may say I'm crazy, but the answer to your question is yes, you can be the best poker player in the world.
But as nothing in the world is easy and cheap, you will have to donate ALL of your time to studies and games, you will have to absorb everything, literally everything, after knowing the base, you will have to be a real chameleon, absorbing the information from your called environment Poker, learning new trends in gaming strategies and mental strategies.

In other words, to be the best player in the world, you basically have to do what's up there.

How did I come to that conclusion?

Simple, Poker is a game of skill and any skill that exists in the world you can learn, regardless of the time it will take you to learn, but make sure it will be a consequence.

So yes, you can be the best player in the world.

Do you agree?
Why?

you will never be the best, because for every best there is always a better one

sorry, but that's life:(

D

DoIHaveAFlush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea where you post is going to - striving for more, no giving up, dedicating precious time to a special hobby. It is normal to expect a result after spending a lot of time to a hobby. However, I would like to challenge this way of thinking - when you say, poker is a game of skill, this is certainly true. But what do you think about the contribution of luck to the game? From my perspective, you can be spending a lot of time with learning and playing poker - however, if poker gods are never on your side - you can get nowhere with your skill. What do you think?

For me, an interesting question I would like ask is: how far can you get in Poker with only skill and no luck? How much luck dependent is poker in the end? If you have luck and no skill - how far can you get?

Cheers

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is no known creature as the best in the world, you would stand a better chance in finding the Loch Ness Monster sat at your table for Sunday dinner.
Sure you can study as much as you want, but It still won't make you the best in The World. Poker is a game of luck much more than you think and skill only plays a small part, The skill comes from reading your opponents and putting them on a hand and knowing when you are beat, knowing when to raise, and knowing how much you can extract from them when holding the nuts!
Phil Helmutt may think he is the best in the World and at tournament play he is ONE! of the best, BUT! put him in a cash game and he sucks!
Poker is a lot more than Holdem and different variations give different levels of skill I myself was taught how to play Stud and 5 card draw years before I even heard of Holdem so when it comes to someone challenging me to a Game of Poker I say sure we can play one on one But I pick the game and they run a mile when I deal them 5 cards.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
search
There is no known creature as the best in the world, you would stand a better chance in finding the Loch Ness Monster sat at your table for Sunday dinner.
Poker is a game of luck much more than you think and skill only plays a small part, The skill comes from reading your opponents and putting them on a hand and knowing when you are beat, knowing when to raise, and knowing how much you can extract from them when holding the nuts!

in the short term, luck plays a huge part...but in the long term, skill will win out.
hand selection / positional awareness
mathematics
reading / accurate ranging abilities
maxing your profit
minimizing your losses ( this is imo more important than maxing your profits)
unpredictability
heart...as tony g would say
head...as esfandiari would use it
white magic...as hellmuth would say
patience
+ a whole lot more

you make lots of very good points...yup...thumbs up.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will answer this way there is nothing impossible if you can strive and become a professional. We all started poker from scratch

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO!
I still struggle to not tilt after bad beats and
i still do not think in ranges enough.

Don't see me investing enough time to tranfer my
game several levels up...

But that's no problem. I play a bit for fun and enjoy my slight improvements.
There's no need to be the best player to survive on the micro and low stakes.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With time and effort..I think so

MoCoSolo

MoCoSolo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others already mentioned, no. You cannot will and study yourself to be the best poker player in the world. That assumes that:
1) No one else is attempting the same feat;
2) everyone learns at the same pace;
3) you can perfectly execute learned things every hand;
4) you can train yourself to remove all emotion; and I'll end with
5) you have the same physical and mental endurance to learn and play for extended periods of time more than everyone else.

In short, no. You can't be the best. Just genetically you can be disadvantaged.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't have much money to be the best player in the world.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I don't think there is anyone to whom you can say that he is the best player in the world ... above there are some acquaintances but you cannot clearly define which one he is, and I am not aiming that high.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I like the idea where you post is going to - striving for more, no giving up, dedicating precious time to a special hobby. It is normal to expect a result after spending a lot of time to a hobby. However, I would like to challenge this way of thinking - when you say, poker is a game of skill, this is certainly true. But what do you think about the contribution of luck to the game? From my perspective, you can be spending a lot of time with learning and playing poker - however, if poker gods are never on your side - you can get nowhere with your skill. What do you think?

For me, an interesting question I would like ask is: how far can you get in Poker with only skill and no luck? How much luck dependent is poker in the end? If you have luck and no skill - how far can you get?

Cheers

If I said that the luck factor was not involved in poker, then I would be the worst player in the world lol.

But what happens when I say that Poker is a game of Skill:

When we speak in a general context of being the best at something, then it means the most profitable or the person who wins everything.
So in no way can we evaluate the short term, always expanding the timeline for at least one year.

In this way, the luck factor disappears, leaving only the player's ability.

A primary validator that you can say for yourself, do you know anyone on the planet who is lucky daily for a year?
It is practically impossible to happen.

Based on this factor, the long term demonstrates your skills and consistency in the game.

What do you think?

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes specially if you are lucky and dont care about money and love the game.