Are you allowed to write notes in a live game?

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I played in several tourneys in Laughlin, NV and there was an older gentleman, who appeared to be a regular, who had a small notebook and every now and then would jot notes down. Other guys playing were actually asking him for advice later on from his notes.

There was another time, at Foxwoods, that a player sitting directly to my right, had a friend sitting behind him, and the friend was furiously taking notes. I didn't know he was doing this until during the break they were discussing certain hands.
I thought this should have been addressed by the floor, but, seems it was legal.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't see why not, I have seen Phil Ivey scribbling something down on a piece of paper :)

doncaster

doncaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FWIW Gus was only doing that because he was writing a book (his "every hand revealed" book from a few years back) - it's not something you see him doing any more. And he was walking away from the table because, among other things, he was speaking aloud about exactly what cards he had in every hand.

OT: as others have said there's no rule against it (outside of places that won't let you use your phone or electronic device while you're in a hand) but few people bother to do it because it makes you look like a weirdo.

In fact I'd probably recommend AGAINST doing it, unless you're able to do it very subtly on your phone or something. Sitting there writing notes about people who are three feet away from you is likely to creep a lot of people out, especially casual players. You don't want to weird them out and have them quit the game on you.
Gus Hansen actually took notes here in the Melbourne Aussie Millions tournament and went on to win !!This created such attention and many poker players started making notes after seeing/hearing of his note taking.But after a while people also realised that playing in MTT and moving from table to table created too much "paper work" and not enough attention to playing your cards.
Also it is enough of a hassle to carry around pens,note pads,phones,car keys,wallet,drink bottle,cap,sun glasses,card protector,nail file(lol),snack,sweater bar,apple(like Ivey),lucky charm,jumper with a hoodie,passport/identity document,$1 notes for tips to waitresses,mirror and lipstick(female players....I think/hope).

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, Gus did that at a couple of tournaments at the time (he was filmed talking into his dictaphone at the wsop the same year, imagine he did it at others too) - the Aussie Millions was the one he went on to win though, so that's the content that ended up in the book.

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see why not, I have seen Phil Ivey scribbling something down on a piece of paper :)

Chances are he was recording stuff about prop bets he was making at the table. I doubt a player of his caliber needs to take notes on the actual poker game :)

G

goldy_lordy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not?... and all this in dressed in your new Superman costume. :D

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WHy not is right. It gives you an advantage and help you remember tendencies which you might not generally remember. I've seen Phil Ivey with a pen and pad at a table before and he's one of the best. To say the other players at the table might frown upon that, who cares, they are your enemy until you cash.

G

goldy_lordy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... your point is valid, you don't have friends at the table, only after you cash out :)) then are your friends... like Antonio Esfandiari sayd, don't be sorry is Poker! :D

E

erdnase13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is alienating to take notes at the table. I played against a few note takers in cash games, and they were all introverted and didn't get much action. I wouldn't recommend it.

JhayVie

JhayVie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't tried doing this in any of the games I've played. Would be worth preparing to do so. Maybe just a tick or note, a symbol, or just something, anything. I can imagine the reaction at the table. :)

C

CrossedLine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is alienating to take notes at the table. I played against a few note takers in cash games, and they were all introverted and didn't get much action. I wouldn't recommend it.

Interesting point that I thought of as well. Theres a difference between people judging you and laughing at you, and you losing that social edge.

L

lilturkgirl86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i remember greg raymer writing notes about matusow after that big blowup so people do jot down stuff

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am shocked that you can take notes when you play live poker... for me it is kind off unimaginable in plain field... I thought that it is against security and fair play... Thank you for info.. if will in future go to play - I will take paper and pen for making notes :)

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Greg Raymer was taking lot of notes during his run at WSOP 2004 when he won it all. I bet he wrote lot of offending notes on Mike Matusow, because they were having huge beef with each other at the table while Mike was trash-talking as usual. Greg Raymer had mini notepad in his pocket and wrote notes.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally think getting a pen and paper and writing notes in live games does more harm than good. Not only do you make yourself look like a geek but also, people will pay more attention to you, be more cautious to you, and won't be gambling much with you. They will tighten up and will try to get the best out of you. You don't want them to know that you're there as a serious person trying to win money. You wanna come off as a person who's there to gamble or have fun. Learned this from cc member vinnie. You gotta have poker face outside of the hand/game by charading that you're there like a tourist or donk who's just there to gamble.

But if you really want to take notes, best thing to do is get your ipad or tablet. Pretend like you're there playing games or browsing around on your tablet after you folded, but instead, you use Apps to take notes on players.

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think getting a pen and paper and writing notes in live games does more harm than good. Not only do you make yourself look like a geek but also, people will pay more attention to you, be more cautious to you, and won't be gambling much with you. They will tighten up and will try to get the best out of you. You don't want them to know that you're there as a serious person trying to win money. You wanna come off as a person who's there to gamble or have fun. Learned this from cc member vinnie. You gotta have poker face outside of the hand/game by charading that you're there like a tourist or donk who's just there to gamble.

But if you really want to take notes, best thing to do is get your ipad or tablet. Pretend like you're there playing games or browsing around on your tablet after you folded, but instead, you use apps to take notes on players.

Couldn't agree with you more :)

Just to let all of you know, we've opened a dedicated support thread for our Poker Notes Live mobile App here on CardsChat:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...icial-poker-notes-live-support-thread-233202/

Happy to answer your questions anytime and help you take hi-tech poker notes on your mobile device.

cipriandoran

cipriandoran

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it is allowed for sure to take notes but some poker rooms have diffrent rules...but in enyone is allowed 100% paper and pen :)

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you may. Indeed Gus Hansen did it, but I have seen others do it too, even on WSOP. But it's rare though...

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is allowed for sure to take notes but some poker rooms have diffrent rules...but in enyone is allowed 100% paper and pen :)

Just to point out, in almost every poker room I've ever visited, the staff said "no problem" re: using phones at a table (i.e., a mobile note-taking app), "so long as it doesn't disturb the flow of the game".

This was at cash games. For tournaments, the response was pretty much similar, but some floorpeople said "to use your phone you must walk away from the table".

These were in rooms in Los Angeles, Vegas, Atlantic City, and Amsterdam

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games