Why people prefer Texas Holdem to Omaha?

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too many drawouts in Omaha & Hi Lo. That means more donks will drawout on you. Holdem is a bit more skill involved.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People enjoy Hold em more as it is easier to understand and therefore makes it more accessible for everyone to play, it is also very easy to pick up basic strategy allowing you to progress to beat easy opponents

Where as in PLO the rules are not as easy to follow and the basics are somewhat harder to learn

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually love Omaha, even though I frequently refer to it as Nebraska Bingo. I love it, but I hate playing it because, as has been stated several times above, all the possibilities are just too much for the donk brain to handle. They seem to short circuit in call mode. If outs and odds and percentages were already too much for them to think about when playing NLHE, then imagine how little thought they are going to putting into these things in an Omaha game. They just want to play every hand and chase every possible draw. But then again, it is more of a gambling game. When I do play I prefer to play straight PLO, as opposed to Hi-Lo, which, again, creates more possibilities for the chasers to chase. If you can't stand Hold'em, but play it constantly, then you absolutely have to love to hate Nebraska Bingo.

Last edited:
Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Omaha but do not often play H/L because there are too many combinations. I find it is more difficult to isolate players to 2 or 3 per hand and because of the limitless combinations too many players chase straight, flushes, lows etc. My preferred game is always NLH.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HE has FAR more exposure. Plus it's a simpler game with less variance.

I would consider getting good at Omaha a much more profitable proposition than getting good at HE, just because Omaha is so much harder to play and so much fishier. I could never play Omaha online though, way too many variables to think through in too little time.

M

mjg1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the part i dont like about omaha is flopping or turning the nuts and getting shoved on only to be screwed over when the river comes

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two reasons:
- Texas is much simpler to learn
- in Texas, if you have monter on flop, you have like 9:1 to win on showdown. In Omaha, its more like 6:4. Many people are pissed off by such variance.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Texas is a lot easier to play than omaha. For example in Texas you don't have to use both of your holding cards but in ohama you do.

I am starting to play omaha more, but I still prefer texas, it was the first game I learnt and I love it :)

R

rawone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would add also that Omaha probably leads to more accidental winning hands than almost any other game I have seen. With 4 hole cards and 5 common cards there is plenty to play with, and I have seen people end up sucking out a straight or similar completely by accident, certainly not what they were betting.

It also means that you have to adjust your betting style, as often 2 pairs (even high pairs) are not really worth much. Plenty of straights, flushes, and even higher flushes. It sort of means that there is much more of an element of luck involved, which sort of sucks.

P

pokerjack43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too much thinking in omaha, not enough automatic decisions.

Even after years of playing omaha I cannot switch off my brain in the way I can with holdem. Each time there is a new card you need to factor your decisions. re assess your opponents range.

omaha is way better though. I would quickly kill my self if all i could play was holdem.

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas Hold'em have the longer history.And playing the Omaha make us get less information.

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its too hard to guess what people have when they have four cards, flushes and straights come to much, in holdem with only two cards you have a better read on what the other players have, both are fun but i prefer holdem

N

Novify

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is more interesting because there are more options for combinations! But Texas is simpler

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know a lot of you are saying that there are more options in Omaha but what about the fact that in HE you can use just one card (or none) from your hand and 4 or 5 from the board which is not possible in Omaha. This gives the chance to disguise your hand way more.

I prefer Omaha way more than HE

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How does that disguise your hand way more?

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is more interesting but it's a bit more gamble I think. Ppl play texas because it's easier.

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Texas Hold-em is more popular because it was played more, by more people in the past. The original games like draw, stud, knock, and others required at least 5 cards per player. At times, such as on cattle drives, there would be too many players and not enough cards in the deck to play these type games. The concept of community cards was therefore devised. In Omaha, where each player recieves 4 cards, it would still limit the number of players to 11. (12 x 4 = 48 + 5 = 53) Since Hold-em was the most played, it became the most popular of the two. The onset of the internet has closed the gap but Hold-em's grip on the lead will probably remain forever.

Last edited:
xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer it because the range of hands is easier to keep track of then omaha. Omaha just drives u nuts sometimes lol

t1tpfdc

t1tpfdc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha hi-lo used to be my favorite game, sometimes maybe still is.
But too often I see players in two-handed pots who know full well that he only has half the pot, and yet anyway make a huge bet(s). Just means that when the pot gets split, both winners end up paying a lot more in rake. Can often win half the pot and still lose money!
Frustrating!

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in my opinion holdem seems to be a slower game, i'm not saying that there's no surprises in texas holdem poker but comparing with it omaha is full of surprises, luck is a stronger factor in omaha comparing to holdem as well...You said that you like Om.aha Hi Low concept, and i think you would hated it in high stake poker.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is a more skilled game and makes you think more about the game which inevitably will make you a better NLHE player.
Also there isnt the edge there used to be in NLHE whereas alot more fish play PLO without a clue and the really skillful palyers will have a massive edge

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm hooked on Omaha..i try to play just high because the low rule confuses me. main reason i like it better because less people play it. i've managed to make the money 3 out of 5 times now in tourneys with 50 or less

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha has too many cards to read. Holdem gives you a better chance to read your opponents cards.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules