what makes durrrr so good

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much has been said about D's unpredictable style, huge numbers of hands etc... and his seemingly tireless pursuit of the game.

Has anyone factored in possible/probable prescription drug use? There are pills around to increase focus, to boost stamina. The look of this kid (check his eyes sometime), and his unflappable focused demeanor suggest that he may be stoned, using performance enhancing drugs and stimulants.

A very real possibility. If true, his game will suffer when the meds lose effectiveness or take him on a jag... which happens.

Don't forget we have lost similar prodigies to drugs -- Stuey Ungar being a case in point. Similar unbeatable savant at cards; absolutely tied to coke and pills.

wat

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm speechless at the direction this thread has taken. I honestly thought kid had to be a level, or some kind of practical joke. Consider my mind boggled. Never heard of Barry Greenstein but considers himself a serious poker player?

Kid, since you seem to be so down on Durrr and a big fan of Doyle, I wonder what you think about Doyle's opinion of Durrr? I've seen and read Doyle speak highly of Durrr's game on numerous occasions.

Durrr has been nominated for the HOF this year, and Doyle is a voting member. Of course Durrr won't make it this year -- he hasn't paid his dues yet and he's up against a bunch who have (including Barry Greenstein). But Doyle writes in his blog:

Doyle Brunson said:
(1) Tom Dwan – It’s really an honor for Tom to be a nominee at the age of 22. Obviously, he can’t meet the criteria that are listed. I think he is a fine player and barring something unforeseen, his picture will be on the wall someday.

As for Durrr, I've never quite "liked" him myself. I can't put my finger on it: his voice, his effeminate mannerisms, his wild googly eyes, I don't know. He just seems creepy somehow. But regardless, the boy knows how to play some poker. His reads are scary, the way he can push people off a better hand, and the way he knows just when to give up at the right moment. He's recklessly aggressive, sure, but so are Gus and Ivey and a lot of other successful players.

And mentioning drugs brings up a good point. I'm finishing up Mike Matusow's biography ("Checkraising the Devil"), and he discusses the very same topic about how drugs initially picked up his game by giving him energy and focus, but then eventually nearly ruined his life, not to mention his game. As weird as Durrr comes across sometimes, I would not at all be surprised if he has a little "artificial stimulation" going on.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Afaik drugs can make u stay up for along time and help u concentrait but i dont think there is a drug that makes u good at math, makes u own villains at metagame and makes u assaign ranges and balance your own to perfection :S.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Afaik drugs can make u stay up for along time and help u concentrait but i dont think there is a drug that makes u good at math, makes u own villains at metagame and makes u assaign ranges and balance your own to perfection :S.
Drugs don't make you good at math, but under the right circumstances they can sharpen your mind (short term) and allow you to make the calculations with less effort. Of course the long term effects are devastating, just ask The Mouth. He was self-medicating due to an undiagnosed bipolar condition, and the initial side-effect was that his game skyrocketed. Until he became used to them and addicted, then the opposite happened. To add to his bipolar disorder he had since birth, he now has ADHD brought about by brain damage from his drug use. He now takes a cocktail of prescription drugs to treat both. All of which goes a long way towards explaining the famous "Matusow Meltdowns."

I've always liked Mikey as a player but having only seen his recent game I didn't think he was a top-echelon player. However in his early days he was a shark. Phil Helmuth said in the foreward of his book that Mikey was one of the best, if not THE best, PLO8 player alive today. He's made an awful lot of wsop final tables and won 3 bracelets, but he said the drugs largely damaged his reading skills and short-term memory -- imagine what he might be doing today had he not gone down that road, and sought proper treatment for his bipolar disorder early on.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

+1 - Amen

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... i dont think there is a drug that makes u good at math, makes u own villains at metagame and makes u assaign ranges and balance your own to perfection :S.
Yes there are drugs that help concentration (and math skills), particularly some for ADHD, which Matusow used, and yes the increased concentration helps assign reads and ranges etc.
Durr already has these skills and more in spades; some meds would increase them definitely, short term.
I am no expert on the meds in question, apparently there is a lot about them in Mike's book...
Not accusing Tom of taking anything but not discounting it either, in a free discussion that should encourage all possibilities re the OPs question. I pointed to a couple of things, that in my experience, might suggest that something stronger than caffeine may be involved. Doesn't mean it is so.
Lots o heat by the fire... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lol you just picked a random 2p2 thread about durrrr ffs. Watch this season HSP, the change of atmosphere that occured when he came in for his second session was mind blowing. Watch his hu game against PA from the aussie millions. He played ridiculously well. He lost like 600k. Try and get your head around that.

Omg why can I not stop posting in this thread?

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol you just picked a random 2p2 thread about durrrr ffs. Watch this season HSP, the change of atmosphere that occured when he came in for his second session was mind blowing. Watch his hu game against PA from the aussie millions. He played ridiculously well. He lost like 600k. Try and get your head around that.

Omg why can I not stop posting in this thread?

OMG I WISH U WOULD. been reading this thread for days now and u just keep attacking kidkvno. So hes got a opinion that differs from yours.. Others disagreed with him without throwing insults.. Who made u the know all to end all? Why dont u just state your opinion and leave it alone.. Frankly because you call someone a idiot does not make me or neone else agree with u.. WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND THAT

Btw. Dont necessarily with Kidkvnos logic but ppl calling ppl names over something that really does not impact our lives is unnecessary .

Last edited:
the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the thread continues...

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i took adderol a lot i'd have a lot more money, but i don't think durrr uses it ever

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The high stakes bunch were at the 200/400 plo tables this morning. I opened up a few of them and replayed them during my break. Durrrr bought in for $30k, lost it and left. no re-buy. Guess he had to catch a plane or something.

It was really interesting seeing how these guys play at these limits. Look like a game of chicken more than anything else. Raise, re-raise, flop, shove it in, pray, suckout, reload. Repeat cycle.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The high stakes bunch were at the 200/400 plo tables this morning. I opened up a few of them and replayed them during my break. Durrrr bought in for $30k, lost it and left. no re-buy. Guess he had to catch a plane or something.

It was really interesting seeing how these guys play at these limits. Look like a game of chicken more than anything else. Raise, re-raise, flop, shove it in, pray, suckout, reload. Repeat cycle.

i'm sure that's what it looks like to virgin eyes

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the insight.
He has a point though. These guys are not playing the same game most of us are. Because if they were (and we are still assuming they are good at the game) then they are going to trade blinds more than anything else.

When everyone sitting at the table is world class then they have to play so far ahead of the actual cards coming down that it looks like folly to someone who plays at softer tables.

Then, in the end the players with the better edge (or is it luck... that's another thread isn't it?) are the ones who come out ahead.

Then there are the whales...

Dwan has benefited from the skill, the luck, and the whales.

I would never ague that some of what has happened to him is luck... but then... that's a pretty good way to part way describe well played poker.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So durrr is a coked up bipolar poker genius.Who will loose to kid but winns everyone elses money(sometimes if he is not broke).An van wants to play federer because he's a tourney player an has a real weak back hand.Umm ok.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
look at my post down there..... Now am i joking around NO

he's a joker if he turns me down......
oh i see you don't have a thing to say now.....

Sigh, I'm back in here again...

Okay, okay, I bite...What makes you think that out of all the challenges Durrr gets that he is going to accept yours? Especially at 2nl???

Why on earth would he be a joker if he turns you down? What could this possible prove? I really just don't get this...

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So durrr is a coked up bipolar poker genius.Who will loose to kid but winns everyone elses money(sometimes if he is not broke).An van wants to play federer because he's a tourney player an has a real weak back hand.Umm ok.

Lol @ best cliff notes ever

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've been away from this thread for 24hrs. but see now that Durrr is a druggy.. .LOL (Sorry Mr. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ha ha ha).

Maybe.... maybe... just maybe... Maybe Durrr is an alien life-form, brought down to the planet from the heavens above to reek vengence upon all the poker players... breaking them with junk hands that leave them reeling, resulting in them leaping from tall buildings. I mean he does look a little bit like something you might see in a Star Trek movie (Spock comes to mind.... analytical without emotion).

THAT'S IT. DURRR IS AN ALIEN!!!!!!!! It is fact.
(I won't say what I think kidkov is)

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been away from this thread for 24hrs. but see now that Durrr is a druggy.. .LOL (Sorry Mr. Durrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ha ha ha).

Maybe.... maybe... just maybe... Maybe Durrr is an alien life-form, brought down to the planet from the heavens above to reek vengence upon all the poker players... breaking them with junk hands that leave them reeling, resulting in them leaping from tall buildings. I mean he does look a little bit like something you might see in a Star Trek movie (Spock comes to mind.... analytical without emotion).

Oh god, Durrrr is a scientologist too???

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am challenging Anderson Silva to a 5-round fight in the Octagon!! He wood b a fooz ifs he saz nose too mees AND I no I can beat him easy. I won a fight at my neighberhud skool playgrownd once... cuz I cud spot the guys weekness (just hit him when hees not looking). Oh yah, I forgot to add that I was in highskool then and they were in Grade6 but they were big for their age and I think they like failed a couple timez.

Ive seen Anderson's weekness....... he moves his head around too much and I KNOW if I just swing wildly I will hit him for sure (i hit johnny when his head was moving... but then again he was looking the other direction but I dont' think that has anything to do with it!!).

No respect for any of the 'pros' except for Doyle.. ha ha ha. You don't know any of the pros.. obviously,.. you hadn't even heard of Greenstein.

Kid.. honestly I don't know how you could even still want to be in this forum? (or why you'd even need to be??... you're obviously light years beyond the abilities of any of the rest of us here. I mean, you're crushing 2NL right?... and I believe I read in one of your posts that you're rolled now to play some of the CC buyins. I think there's an FTOPS series going on, surely Doyle would roll you for all of it... as it's obviously a great investment!)

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

LMFAO!!!:alien: Best Response Ever!!! :adore: :adore: :adore: :congrats: :wink: :bootyshak

Baby Jesus

Baby Jesus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's basically that he has the bankroll and the balls to play the way that gets people to call him when he has the goods.He's knows what he's doing.He reads people very well.

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you guys said it all already!

Fearless (cos of youth I guess)
loose aggessive
People now very wary of him
One lucky son of a gun
Innate ability to read people and the game.

Would he really care if he lost everything?? I think not - its the game that matters - with his attitude he would probably go out and make millions in another field!