RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to get over yourself.

That sounds kinda rude, but I'm hoping you didn't mean it like that.:rolleyes:

I've actually never been all that fast at picking stuff up, but I have a lot of perseverance that makes me willing to commit to learn to do something well. Problem is, after I'm somewhat proficient, I tend to lose interest and look for something else to do. That's why it would be hard to picture having to play poker for money. It's much better as a hobby, but I can't ignore that it would be better to play poker a few hours a day and make a decent income, rather than working for someone else over 8 hours a day.

Coming into cardschat is kind of like standing around the water cooler at the office -- you can talk shop and have some interaction with your peers, something you might miss being self-employed.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sounds kinda rude, but I'm hoping you didn't mean it like that.:rolleyes:

Its not meant to be rude.

If your fear of failing is preventing you playing then you are your own hurdle.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is, after I'm somewhat proficient, I tend to lose interest and look for something else to do. That's why it would be hard to picture having to play poker for money. It's much better as a hobby, but I can't ignore that it would be better to play poker a few hours a day and make a decent income, rather than working for someone else over 8 hours a day.

TBH you probably are not at a point yet where you could live ff your earnings, so maybe cross that bridge when you come to it.

Poker is a way of making money but like most things, when you have to do it day in day out it's like most jobs really.

Yes you can make money in a short amount of time.

You can lose it too.

Maybe playing as a part time job and having a part time second job s a better answer.. that way no matter what you have some income every week.

But come to this when its a real option for you. Right now you just need to play.. to see if you enjoy it and to see if you can win at it.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem I want to spend much more time playing poker than reading or studying the game. That's not a bad problem to have imo.

Which isn't bad? I play too much poker and don't spend enough time studying/clearing my head between sessions. I really need to come up with some pre-session routine and work on table selection.

I just ponied up $80 for Stox/HEM so I don't have any money for a new book right now (I try to make poker related purchases with poker winnings, which I only have online right now since I don't have much chance to play live).

J

jaggibson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend do play lower stakes myself and don't have any dreams of making a living off poker, i'm just happy to make money. I have read several books and i think they helped my game for sure. You don't know unless you try. Anyway why not go play some lower stakes and see how you do there. Granted people may not have the same skill as you are used to at higher stakes, but if you are highly dominate it can could give you confidence and practice what you learned