Procrastination & Poker

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have this same problem? I often put off playing online poker, especially when I have been studying a lot of books to improve my game. I think the reason is that I have a high expectation of doing well with my new knowledge but I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't work out that way. Maybe that's fear of failure -- it's easier to think you are improved than to have to prove it with results. And results can be misleading, too.

Anyway, the more I procrastinate actually playing, the more I end up on cardschat, which isn't a bad thing, but it does cut into the time I could actually be using my poker knowledge to try to make money.

Making money is also a pressure -- I have a pleasant idea that I could make a living, but it would be unpleasant to find out that I can't. However, I still think I could. How do I get by this conundrum? My best idea so far has been just to start out small and force myself to play. It gets easier after that.

Or am I just psycho?:)

sld2

sld2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem I want to spend much more time playing poker than reading or studying the game. That's not a bad problem to have imo.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use poker to procrastinate from life otherwise.

Better get moving then....

J

jcklem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
umm let me get this straight

u have been reading books to improve your game but u have never played online and you think you could make a living doing it?

lol sir you have a lot to learn

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
umm let me get this straight

u have been reading books to improve your game but u have never played online and you think you could make a living doing it?

lol sir you have a lot to learn

No, I've played a lot online. It's just that now that I've gone back to study mode rather than playing mode, I'm finding it hard to force myself to play because my expectations are so high.

The best way to combat that is to just play. Period. And not worry about it. The only way to get better is to experience the ups and downs and learn to deal with them.

T

TheWall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see what your saying and understand how that could be possibly, but I'm actually the opposite--after finishing a book I usually can't wait to hit the tables to try out some of the strategies I've picked up.

G

Gr3atness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill get back to life tomorrow, tonight its time to play poker. :D

Sharesol

Sharesol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. my problem is the opposite. I go online to play, get done with a session, read? nah, log back on.

mets40

mets40

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to find a time percentage continuum which allows you to both play and study in amounts of time which satisfy your needs. But the biggest hurdle is probably worrying about it. If you play at the right level for you at this time based on your bankroll, you should soon realize if you can make a living at it.

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the same problem..UNTIL

Hey Rogue, When I read your post I realized that I sometimes had the same feeling.

The one think that helps me is to remind myself of BM. To me its the key. Chris Ferg has great advice on it as you probably know. Stick to his advice on 5% into cash games and 2.5% into SnG's and MTTs. The results that you are worried about will take care of themselves if you feel comfortable with that strategy. And that strategy is like a warm blanket-its always there to fall back on.

Bankroll Management is the solution to most poker problems. I hope this will help you as it helped me....

You sound like you are enjoying your studying...Maybe you could share your wisdom with me on Harrington's workbook thread in the strategy section. Thats if you are studying MTT.. just a couple thoughts every now and then would be VC.

Lata, Michael

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put the pro in procrastination.

It is that fear of failure that often fuels it and when I do commit I find ample excuses for the inevitable failure.

Lately I've adapted my apathetic philosophies and opted for the F*ck it method, its getting me places.

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Procrastination should be used far more in conversation - a great word!

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to find a time percentage continuum which allows you to both play and study in amounts of time which satisfy your needs. But the biggest hurdle is probably worrying about it. If you play at the right level for you at this time based on your bankroll, you should soon realize if you can make a living at it.

Good advice.

Hey Rogue, When I read your post I realized that I sometimes had the same feeling.

The one think that helps me is to remind myself of BM. To me its the key. Chris Ferg has great advice on it as you probably know. Stick to his advice on 5% into cash games and 2.5% into SnG's and MTTs. The results that you are worried about will take care of themselves if you feel comfortable with that strategy. And that strategy is like a warm blanket-its always there to fall back on.

Bankroll Management is the solution to most poker problems. I hope this will help you as it helped me....

You sound like you are enjoying your studying...Maybe you could share your wisdom with me on Harrington's workbook thread in the strategy section. Thats if you are studying MTT.. just a couple thoughts every now and then would be VC.

Lata, Michael

Yeah, BRM really helps me not worry too much about losing. If my aces get cracked, no big deal, I know that they are super-profitable but are bound to lose sometimes.

I think part of the problem is that I have so many new ideas to consider, it's hard to remember to implement them all at once. I guess that's where you have to get in there to play, to gradually institute them into your game.

I'll check out your study group. I've read that book once, but my final score was sort of average. Now I'm concentrating on cash games, but I think most aspects still apply to tournaments.

I put the pro in procrastination.

It is that fear of failure that often fuels it and when I do commit I find ample excuses for the inevitable failure.

Lately I've adapted my apathetic philosophies and opted for the F*ck it method, its getting me places.

Hey, I like that attitude! I'm going to remember that and just play. I'm doing better -- today I got in 500 hands. That's the most by far all month (only played 4 times).

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super cool dude. I played a couple MTT SnG's today as well (sunday). Cashed in half and rivered in the other half--so I came out even. Not tooo stressed about playing for 8 hours in total for no cash because I'm getting good experience and I also listen to quality audio books while I'm playing.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to be like that in poker but i found out that the only way to interpet ur new knowlege is to road test it....u might think u understand the things but in the heat of the moment it may not be that easy

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the opposite problem I want to spend much more time playing poker than reading or studying the game. That's not a bad problem to have imo.

You could lose a lot of money this way....

A

abomb576

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What books or online reading do you recommend?

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes same issue. I often will pour over leaks and analysis of hands, probably improving my overall play, but the fact that I won't see immediate results will sometimes stop me from playing. This is kind of metatilt, I guess.

Recommended Books? Try The Poker Mindset (tilt control/meta), Harrington on Hold'em/Cash (whatever you play), the Theory of Poker (long, tough read, mostly StudHI examples), Every Hand Revealed (a few interesting insights for a good player), Professional No Limit Hold'em (after playing for about a year, since the concepts could lead a novice astray), Super System (again, play fundamentally well before reading this), Golden Archive (on CardsChat), and the 2+2 stickies.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that I procrastinate playing poker often, but this is usually because I just don't feel like playing. And I have found that I play worse when Im not "in the mood" to play poker. This is probably because when I am "in the mood" I will most likely be paying much more attention to the game which equals less mistakes and less aggressive plays at the wrong time or against the wrong players (ie trying to steal from a SS who needs to go allin or a loose Big Stack who doesn't fold their blinds no matter what).

G

Grindit9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a lot about discipline and your day to day routine. I find it helps to have a good structure in your life. For example play to maximum 6 in the morning but always wake up between 12-1. Eating healthy food, going to the gym and work out to keep in shape also helps to stay focussed. Its also important to focus on what you are trying to achieve. Set goals to achieve to motivate yourself. When you have achieved a goal it will boost your confidence and give you a good feeling. Then you can send another new goal to achieve.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

ditto. I have several books, 2 sitting right next to me and I'm too busy playing poker to stop and read the books, lol.

Fwiw, I think you are doing a great thing. Read up, study and then apply, probably the way I should be doing it. I admire your commitment.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I've played a lot online. It's just that now that I've gone back to study mode rather than playing mode, I'm finding it hard to force myself to play because my expectations are so high.

The best way to combat that is to just play. Period. And not worry about it. The only way to get better is to experience the ups and downs and learn to deal with them.

You need to get over yourself.

You may completely suck at poker and if that is the case, then so be it.

You may actually be good at poker and if that is the case then so be it.

You will never really find out unless you let go and accept that you may fail.

I think you need to look deeper at this because if you are frightened of failing, then how would you deal with a downswing?

Some people just aren't cut out to deal with something like that, so its something you need to work on.

Personally I'm in favour of the sink or swim approach. Just do it.

Set yourself a time of the day that you play poker.. just as an athlete would with his training, and do it. No-one knows if they will be good at something unless they really give it a go.

Now what happens if you completely suck at poker?? what's the absolute worst??? you lose some money .. hopefully not too much.. and your pride is a bit bruised... and you start looking for something else to do with your time (which means that finding out you suck quickly is a good thing, but taking several years just wastes your own time).

I'm not all that good at pep talks.. so Ill just say what I said at the start.. you need to get over yourself, you need to accept that you may fail, but by accepting that, you allow yourself the oppertunity to see if you can win.

G

gkh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't find it the best pep talk stu but it's the truth.

To OP, do you constantly look at how much money you are up or down when you are playing? I notice that the need to be positive money all the time made me want to play less.

Make a realistic goal, your goal should not be "Today I will be one stepper to going pro." If you do that, you'll always be disappointed because there's so much variance in poker. Cause if i'm losing money then I'm going to be further from my goal of being pro. It's too much pressure on yourself. I found concentrating on just now helps the most. Just aim on how you can improve today and making the best decisions you can. Don't worry about how much money you are up or down. Autobuyin to max, disable viewing folded hands, look at net only at the end of the day. I see all mistakes as a stepping stone to glory and something to learn from. If you suck, you can only improve. This mentality has helped me the most. I've been losing more than ever, but I feel motivated to play each day. But final exams right now, can't really play.