Poker: Luck or Skill?

bonekeeper

bonekeeper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having the mindset of being able to analyse hands, players behavior and knowledge about how act in diffrent scenarios and what cards and chips are worth will take you a long way, but in the end the luck or shall we call it the varriance will determain how far you will go.
i'd go with 65% skill and 35% luck because after all you need that in all scenarios to win!

J

joeyjmr8484

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is all luck. You have to have the cards to win. No matter how good you think you are.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in poker the skill makes the difference between the players.
Anyway, you need to be very lucky if you want to reach the final table of a major tournament, for example.
It is not enough to be a disciplined player with skill, in poker luck is necessary. Very necessary.
That's why for me poker is a game of chance, with an important component, which is the ability that the player has.
It's just my opinion, greetings.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One day you can be lucky and win the tournament but to be a good player you need to have skill and luck

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live poker 90 per cent skill 10 luck online 60 skill 40 luck
icon7.gif

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bit of both, it can't be just luck or just skill, no one can be that lucky or that much skilled...

douglaspineu

douglaspineu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thinks is the same for the all sports, Until the best teams need luck sometimes.

When you watch a soccer game, like brazil vs Panama, the chance of Brazil win the game is always better. But if in that game Panama has
prepare their defense, all Brazilian's shots not entry and the Panama has an one oportunity to make the goal. The team win the game.

However if the both team play 10 games, Brazil win 8 or more.

All the teams has prepared to World Cup, but only one is the winner. I belive the same occure in wsop.

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker if the sites are not rigged is more consistent of skill because you have to know about ranges and how you act pre and post flop:damnmate::cool:

R

RiverKing422

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmmm

65 percentage skill 35 percentage luck I'd say that that's more accurate

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
IMHO the two factors are influential in the game ... you can not become great poker player without skill and luck has obviously also play in your favor will go hand in hand both in my opinion greetings

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't put too much faith into luck.

Poker is a game where you make wagers based on incomplete information to determine the most likely outcome of each poker hand. The mathematical favorite does not always win. It is the player's job to put themselves in as many +EV decisions as possible and avoid as many -EV situations as possible.

Now some strategy behind that might limit how you play those, as an exaggerated example:
If I am playing a cash game and am getting 10 to 1 to call when I am 8 to 1 to win the hand, I will take that bet every time. In the long run I will win out. That is just math.

However in a tournament I may fold given the elements of the situation. I can't put myself in those types of hands consistently and hope to survive without the ability to rebuy.

Then there is the human element of the game. We hear all the time that poker is a game of people played with cards. That is why people make bluffs, call bluffs, and do other odd things to throw off their opponents.

So sure, in a single game or hand, someone might get lucky when they spike the river with that incredible one outer or hit a runner runner to win, but eventually the percentages fall within the acceptable norm for us all and its the skill players that will come out ahead.

Elcholu

Elcholu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with those who say that it would be almost 70% skill and 30% luck, and online a little more even, 60 to 40.
Even I have observed several times players who do not help their luck, and end up losing the game.

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck can be in any game and when it comes - this is nice. But it is a nice addition to the professionalism and skill. Without work, patience, skill - there will be nothing!

D

Damian Air

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck of the draw. Skill in the play.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello

This is like the question, what came first the EGG or the Chicken???

In poker you need the egg to hatch the chicken, now the Egg can be luck and Skill the Chicken is the big Question.

One is inter twined with the other.

Solo luck - useless
Solo skill - cant take you far.

Just my opinion.:)

vuk011

vuk011

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If of good or bad luck, how could we explain the fact that the same play get several thin tables of the WSOP, the world's largest poker tournament, such as Phil Hellmuth, with the incredible number of fifteen bracelet?
It's only possible in a live game! I'm trying to search the results of the online game and see if there are players who have made a similar success, but I am not sure that this is possible. It seems that skill is more important in a live game.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that Poker is: 1. bluff 2. Pressure by the Bank 3. Luck. That's why Poker is a skill !

CallMeAnSee

CallMeAnSee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot comes down to skill but mtts for example you need a bit of luck on you side to win these i think.

always helps to win the odd flip!

:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D:heeeellll:D

TchioJr

TchioJr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
skill

10% luck and 90% competition

TchioJr

TchioJr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lucky

Practice helps you to get lucky!:D:D:D

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more skill u have the less u have to rely on luck. I realized this in a big way a few weeks ago when something about what i was doing wrong dawned on me suddenly. Ever since i have been doing remarkably better. And consistantly.

G

GHz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I think they are 75% skill, the other 25% lets the deck decide hahahaha

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My results don't come true I'm just playing online but I know the reason. I can tell you that I am at a loss because in certain situations I take a high risk. And I can't start in higher stakes tournaments. But I admit that many professional poker players regularly win online, which is a great achievement.

Last edited: