Poker: Luck or Skill?

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker you use your skills to increase your chances of wining. Your skills allows you to make the least amount of mistakes like playing hands you shouldn't be playing, playing certain hands in wrong positions, betting incorrectly, calling hands when you shouldn't be calling etc. In the end, regardless of luck making many mistakes will be your undoing. So skills allow you to maximize your plays when you out of luck and take home a huge pot when you do catch some luck

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all about luck... The belief of luck of the recreational players.

truete11er

truete11er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
40% luck, 40 % skill , 10 % patience, 10% self control.

A

Ananke222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think both. Poker is impossible without luck but at the same time poker needs some skills. So only combination of these two can lead to success in playing poker.

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both

You have to have a strategy and then you need the luck, always trust the strategy but never trust in the luck. good luck

P

Pokerlydokerly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The cards that are dealt is luck but what you do with them is the skill part. If it was all luck then there would be no such thing as pro poker players

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Skill is involved when bluffing and calling down a big bet,,
but when you are playing against players that are just all in players,
you have to hope that you don't get the bad beat blues.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of chance, once you get your head round that you can come to a decent conclusion. A lot of people are confusing knowledge and skill.

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The game is mostly skill (which is why there are "top" poker players!), with some luck/chance factored in.

Y

yunghm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill vs. Luck

I think that poker is a game of luck and skill combined. I agree with earlier posters who say the long term is 80% skill 20% luck, and in the short term it is about 75% luck and 25% skill. You cant beat someone who wont fold to big bets. Last night in a home game, I got pocket aces. I 3bet preflop to 4x the orginal raise, was called down by 2 players. One has K8s and flops a flush draw. I bet the pot (about half the "villians" stack at this point) and he calls, only to hit his flush on the turn. How do i get away from this? In the long run, calling large 3 bets with K8 suited will lose money, however, last night this player got all my chips and forced a rebuy. You got to love the mixture of skill and luck to enjoy the game:)

ReoRekop

ReoRekop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it all depends if we talk about short or long term in short, the skillful always arrive far away

LeeCallaghan

LeeCallaghan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great skills and luck for long and short term Oriole!! It is frustrating for 'it was "luck"'
In my opinion
Long term: 80% skill 20% luck
Short term: 80% luck 20% skill

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my oppinion: 60% skill and 40% Luck...

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One day mainly luck....
One year or 100 days 100 percent skill.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A mixture of the two, I think the skill is still the main one but there is luck in poker yesterday I lost a tournament with AA against AQ .. villain gave all in preflop and Turn Q and River Q .. in this case lucky for the villain lol

B

Blakepc91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Long term if your skilled then the profit will be there. Tournament play skill shows but you will never with a large field MTT without having some luck on your side. As for cash the edge in skill can be massive but there will always be variance. In the end if luck wasn't a factor we would all be winners :p

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a game of skill, but when two people of equal skill levels play then the the deciding factor will likely be who runs better (luck). For this reason I think it's impossible to assign a specific percentage of how much of the game is skill vs luck because there are certain players that I have a huge edge against while others who have an edge vs me.

Tvorets

Tvorets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck in poker is not important

Poker is the only skill and variance. Everything else is irrelevant.

vra4a

vra4a

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without dose luck, I think you are lost..

C

Chipmaster45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Truete11er,

I am with you 100% on this one. I think your breakdown was perfectly laid out. I think too many people think it's all luck, or all skill.

I truly believe your mathematical equation explains it best.

Now, if I could just work on that damned 10% patience. lol

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sure say a you need a little more luck then skill. You can have on the skill in the world but if you don't catch you won win. Or if the strong hands don't hold you wont win either. I say 60% luck and 40% skill.

dzemer

dzemer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of people says there is some % of luck and some % of skill etc.
But look at the PRO poker players.. Most of them have a lot of titles, winings, trophies, the same players wins big tournaments year by year. You thimk this have something to do with luck ? Maybe they have a luck because you see it like that. In my opinion they are sooooooo skilled that they using bad luck of the oponents.
Luck and skill are mostly on online poker not in live.