Omaha vs. Hold 'Em: Which is more a game of skill?

Which game is more a game of skill

• Hold 'Em

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Omaha

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Omaha Hi-Lo

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • They are all equal as games of skill

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha and omaha 8 both do require more insight into the game and therefore more skill than holdem..., and as far as the gambling part is concerned..., you got to know WHEN to bet..., which involves skill again...
Love them all...
GL
aC

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the criteria for skill was that the game was more complex, Calvinball would be the game that required the most skill.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read this a lot, but it's wrong. Any reputable text will verify that, when played correctly, variance in Omaha is about 50% that of Hold Em.

You talked about O8 later and I'm not sure if you mean O8 or just Hi here, but Omaha Hi is far higher variance while you're right O8 has far lower variance than HE. Especially against bad players, typically in O8 if an opponent sucks out they'll only suck out for half the pot. It's a pretty good game when worst case scenario you get your money back and best case you take their stack. In O8 however, there's one pot and 60-40 is considered a huge edge. Good players are pushing a lot of small edges like getting their money in with 55-60% equity and that's the equation for huge variance. In Hold 'em the huge edges are around 80% and it's not uncommon to be able to get an opponent in drawing dead. That very rarely happens in PLO Hi.

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You talked about O8 later and I'm not sure if you mean O8 or just Hi here, but Omaha Hi is far higher variance while you're right O8 has far lower variance than HE. Especially against bad players, typically in O8 if an opponent sucks out they'll only suck out for half the pot. It's a pretty good game when worst case scenario you get your money back and best case you take their stack.

Agreed. I was talking O8. I do well in that game but just can't crack Omaha Hi.

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends

I would say Omaha hi-lo is the highest game of skill with these 3. Then Texas HOldem and then omaha hi. Omaha, the best hand is AAKK double suited. A 279Q os, can easily beat that, chances are no A or K will come and chances are 27q9 will probably make 2 pair or better. Omaha hi-lo has to be a lot of skill since hands vary and it is way more complicated. Texas holdem has a lot of skill involved too, since you watch the pros place and place in the money over and over again. This shows poker is not all about luck and skill is definately a factor.

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha Hi Lo is more complicated.

My oppinion is that Omaha Hi Lo is the more complicated game. There are so many facets of the game that require a lots of playing to become a survivor in the game.

Too many to mention here.

There are several basic rules that should be followed in hi lo, or losing is assured.

Read some articles on the game and play lots of hands.

I have played thousands of hands in play money and real money. For years. And, still do not believe I am a good Hi Lo player.

And, if you get impatient, you are sure to lose in the long run.

There are so many pitfalls in hi lo. One can lose money while winning the pot. haha. (Quartered) Happened many times.

Good Luck,

mange

PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMAHA by very far... Only down side when i play in cash games is the variance of hands. But... Play enough hands and that skill part your referring to will develop quickly. You will find yourself auto folding str8 or some kind of draws when the boards already paired. Things like that. I love omaha..Best game by far over holdem or ne other game IMO

Top 10 Games