Is it possible to win at poker relying only on luck ?

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You'll find yourself losing your money sooner or later while relying on luck

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No. In addition to good luck, there must also be skills and experience.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Luck wins - SOMETIMES. Relying on luck to be a long-term winner is delusional. Even bad players, who put dead money into the pot hand after hand, can have a winning evening/session. But, as others have said, over the long-term smart players beat lucky players.
In my opinion, LUCK in poker is making a bad call or being in a pot with poor odds and catching the card(s) you need to win. If your odds of winning are less than 50%, then winning is luck. The closer your odds get to 0%, the more Dumb Luck you need.

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's possible, but it generally never goes that far, it sucks in the long run!

K

Ketoupitou

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I really don't think so. Players are better and better so if you try winning by luck only, you will hit a wall earlier than later.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, this method is possible,
but it is not always reliable,
I use it when I am tired and I cannot use plans and strategies .;)
Counting on luck in the long run is simply irresponsible. Of course, luck is an important factor, but you should not rely on luck alone. A player can win 1, 2, or 3 tournaments, but to achieve consistent results requires skill, experience and patience.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes it is, who plays cards for long enough knows that some days are not ours and others are. In the long run you need some skill.

ednaroza

ednaroza

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Personally, I believe that luck can play a role in poker, but relying solely on luck is not a sustainable approach. While it might work in some instances, counting on luck alone can be risky and unpredictable.
In my fifteen years of playing Texas Hold'em, I've learned the value of strategies and plans. Having a solid foundation of poker skills and knowledge greatly enhances your chances of success. Sure, there are moments when fatigue sets in, and it becomes challenging to execute complex strategies. During those times, it's understandable to rely more on instinct and luck. However, for consistent and long-term profitability, I always recommend having a well-thought-out game plan.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
maybe at the begining , you may be able ...but in time , if you dont have a game based on a structure you will lose

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Probability will get the best of you in the long run... It's just math and statistics, not rocket science... However, you might encounter lucky winning streaks and luckier players... But remember it's just for a while.

J

jazux48

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think such a tactic is possible with a profit of 0.1%;)

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a chance, luck can only bring you so far, having said that, pokerstars was offering a freeroll when the leafs played . Just had to watch the hands go by, and i was lucky to win. Will never happen again in my lifetime im afraid.

serj537

serj537

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Luck alone won't help. Strategy is also important.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, you still need to know how to play.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think luck plays a major role in poker, but without skill and patience, winning a tournament is difficult but possible.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't think you should rely on luck alone. In poker, you still need to have certain skills and abilities

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Possibly for a short distance. If you set more global goals, you will have to learn how to play

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Of course it is possible. But it can't happen every day :) If you are going to rely only on luck, then it just doesn't make sense for you to waste your time on poker, it's better to just buy the lottery regularly.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It's impossible to always win with luck, maybe a tournament but over time you can't depend on it alone

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it is possible but it is also very clear that in the long term it is not something profitable, it is also not something that a person who plans to dedicate himself to poker would do, as fun you can have a great time playing like this, as a profession it is a bad way

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it's possible. It's also possible to win big at Craps and roulette, &c relying on luck. We've all seen it: huge wins at Craps, blackjack, Roulette, and Poker. There's that one fish who just can't do any wrong. Just the other day, I pick up (A,A) and UTG puts in 2.5BB. He gets called multiple times, and so when it gets to me, I put in a big raise: 20Bigs, and get one caller. Flop comes: (8, 8, 4) and we go all-in for 100BB stacks. He shows (4,4). Did he make a good play here? There are 48 flops with a pair of fours, 2112 flops with one four, or 2160 flops out of 19600. That means a probability of: 110.2E-3 or 8.07 : 1 against hitting three fours or better. The fish called off another 17.5 Bigs. He needed to win at least 141.225 Bigs just to break even. Since the stack sizes were 100 Bigs, he made a very -EV call. Yeah, I suppose he "thought" he was being clever, calling with fours to crack aces or kings, and he got lucky. While he was breaking his arm patting himself on the back for being SOOOOOOO clever, he still made a bad, -EV call that will cost him loads more than he won. His expected value here is -11.23%. He'd be twice as better off playing Roulette, and you probably know just how bad that deal is. Bad players making these bad plays is what makes the Poker world go 'round.

Dave Sklansky explains about luck:
... Expert players do not rely on luck. They are at war with luck. They use their skills to minimize luck as much as possible. They figure they're getting the best of it and leave lucky draws to their weaker opponents. To the extent they are getting the best of it, they will win more than they lose... Beginning Poker players rely on big hands and lucky draws.

Lady Luck will get tired of carrying you, then look out!

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in MTT it is possible to rely only on luck, but in cash games absolutely not.

fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think it's possible, you just have to be super lucky 😀. Probably in a larger group there will be a player who counts mostly on luck and wins.