Status
Not open for further replies.
S

suckoutartist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just my thoughts on this subject, While i think its great to make a goal for yourself in this game, there is really a ton of factors i think should be considered when making a commitment to make a specific sum each month.

bankroll is number one i think, if you don't have the appropriate BR for the stakes you wanna be playing at then i would say put this commitment on hold before putting anymore serious thought into it. For example if you only have 2000$ to start with playing cash games, i honestly couldnt think that a $2000/month is a realistic goal. thats giving you 30 days to double your roll.... though its not nearly impossible to do, its a goal that i think involves too much risk that isnt worth the reward.

example: if you start with a 2000$ BR and only make 2000$ a month(which i assume is for living expenses, since its such an appropriate amount lol) that means at the start of the next month... the money you made will be gone... and youll be right back where you started... 2000$. [and thats assuming you dont lose...ever....which is improbable]

I would say you'd want 5000$ minimum to do this. even if you sit down with only a 100$ and lose it, its not really that bad, its 2% of your roll gone, and its really nothing you cant work your way back from if you have the skills necessary to play a profitable game.
But if you only had 2000 and lost a 100$ buyin, thats 5% of your roll gone, and though it may not seem like a very drastic difference in the short term, in the long term risking that much of you roll is just horrible decision making. the mere fact is no matter how good you are, your gonna have "downswings" eventually. and its extremely important to be prepared and have a necessary roll for it when it does happen, because if you dont have the bankroll for the downswing to fall back on, you wont have a br... PERIOD........................................... "."

as far as the rest, its nothing you havent read or been told in this thread already, really im jsut too lazy to continue on... lol

just think about these things when you decide to progress with your goal of 2000 a month
  • What are you comfortable with losing
  • how many hours do you plan on playing out of the month
  • do you want to play live or online
  • tournaments or cash
  • do you want to single or multitable
  • Are you mentally prepared to acheive this goal and then stick with it without moving up stakes
  • and are you mentally equpped with the skills necessary in order to play profitably at the stakes you decide on.
  • and of course BR and BR management.(br management including your financial situation outside of poker)(ex. if your having trouble paying 500$ rent... 2000 is a goal you shouldnt even think about.)

Last edited:
K

kungfupanda1105

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe u can try cash games? Nl50 with 1k bankroll should do the trick

curtinsea

curtinsea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is my two cents . . .

Everyone breaking it down to "per day" is not offering good advice. You can't look at it in such a small sample. You should be thinking in terms of $24K per year.

It's simple math, but you need to have an established win rate from which to calculate. Then decide on the volume you want to put in, and from there you can calculate the average buy-in.

So let's throw some general numbers out there. Assuming a 100% ROI, you are going to need to play $24K in tournaments to achieve your goal. It's that simple. If your ROI is lower, you'll need to play more, or play higher.

How many tourneys can you play a day? I would think 24/day is a reasonable number for a grinder, assuming you can play on a site that has that many tourneys to play. Let's play five days a week, 50 weeks a year. Just a workin' man schedule. That means we're playing 6K tournaments a year.

So six thousand tournaments would have to have an average buy in of $4 to make it $24K in buy ins. That, with a 100% ROI puts you at an average of $2k/month in profit. (some months will be higher, some lower)

curtinsea

curtinsea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the other hand, if your win rate is more like 15%, you would need to play $160K in tourneys for the year. And if you only wanted to play ten tourneys a day, five days a week, 50 weeks per year, then you will need to play games with an average buy in of $64 to achieve the same goal.

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You multiply your goal 2000 by your roi let's say 40% wich would 800 then you woul divide your buy in cost lets say 5.5 which is 145 games. How long it takes to play you said 6 at a time 2 hours sound good so145divide 6 then multiply by 2 that's total hours wich would be 48 hours. That doesn't sound right. Oh it's about impossible to play 6 games at a time. You get my drift I think though

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
The best Thing to do is continue with your Job . if you will put a figure that you want to earn a month , then you will be under severe pressure to do so . and in poker it is not that easy as it Sound. just continue wth your Job which gives u more than 2k a month n Play a part of that salary on poker may be Play the satties into the big Events on sunday mtts which offers huge Money for the winner .. if you do that without any pressure , then may be one day you will hit it very big which can give you lotts of Option for future like ur own Business or somthing . and even if you lose in those satties still your br ll not get hurt as you Keep on earning frm your norma Job.

so take a smart way mate

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can make 2k a month playing 2/5 nl live (you would need at least a 50k networth to do this, as well as some skills)
you could make 2k a month online playing a higher volume of smaller stakes. This goal is probably achievable multitabling 50nl or 100nl. The players will be better online and you'll need a bigger role, but the upside is probably greater.
To make 2k a month playing poker you have to be very good and put in an incredible volume.
most people won't achieve this.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A example for OP,
Playing Sng's (STT) @ $10buyin level (recommended starting bankroll $1k)

'If' you're a winning player, with +10% roi, & 'if' you were playing 20 days out of the month. You would need to play 100 games per day.

'If' you were capable of 10-tabling these games (which you should be if you're hoping to profit $2k/mth.)
You would need to play for 10hrs./day.

That's all folks... basically this is the math...

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is my two cents . . .

So let's throw some general numbers out there. Assuming a 100% ROI, you are going to need to play $24K in tournaments to achieve your goal. It's that simple. If your ROI is lower, you'll need to play more, or play higher.

ROI of 100% is beyond fantasy, it is delusional. 10% is more realistic for a winning player. It does not get much higher than that.

All your calculations should be based on 10% ROI, no more. :flybye:

R

RogerZzz8979

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to make $2K a month in MTT, you should be very committed, have a big bankroll and shouldn't be dependent on your poker winnings in order to live for a good few months. I don't think I would be able to do that, but wish you all the best in achieving your goal!!

RCtheDabbler

RCtheDabbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'd need to start with a healthy bankroll and have a few specific go to games that you can play if you dont make enough playing MTTs or cash games. Also you'll have to invest alot of time - If you look at the VIP levles for pokerstars you can start making some good money if you made it to Supernova and you'll have a load of FPPs to use for buyins which will potentially make you more profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.