Status
Not open for further replies.
M

millertime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a good thread. i think most people want to know how to make a consistent living off of poker. i have a job and would LOVE to make just an extra $1000 a month off poker consistently.

i feel like you need to have a mix of cash and tourneys. you shouldnt be expecting to go far in MTT's and if you want to grind out a profit, you should pick a level of sng's and stick with it. this is not easy though. after a while you want to move up, but this can put a risk to your BR if you're not ready. you need to be able to "not care" about the buy in.

personally, i have been trying to grind up my bankroll and am at ~$350 currently. i have had a lot of success at $13 sng's on bovada but it's still tough to pepper in MTT's without seeing my BR go down and not coming back up until i play a sng. also, i have been peppering in cash games and that seems to work out ok. if i double up i leave the table and if i bust out i pick a diff table.

edit: to answer your question, i would probably start with a $500 bankroll and start with ~$12 sng's. you should be able to make $10/hr placing 3rd and much better than that if you can take down a couple a day.

obviously as others have said, you would want to keep good records to learn the best times/days to play and how much your profit and loss is.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol,once I thought poker can give me freedom,not like my job going to office everyday from monday to friday.Now that it may be just a illusion.

So what I'm taking from your posts is that you don't actually like poker and just wanna use it for a way to make easy money. Well, it's not gonna happen if you don't have a passion for it. Secondly, this IS an everyday office job. If you are playing for a living, you HAVE to play and you HAVE to show up to work (your computer) every day for long hours. Not sure what's different about this from your normal job?

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash, NL100 is the minimum probably. You might be able to make that much in 50NL if you're REALLY good and you're playing at least four 6max tables or 8 full ring ones.

For tournaments, I think likewise -- you'd need to be playing something like $50 SnGs, over multiple tables.

To grind full time you'll need a liferoll rather than just a bankroll -- you'll need money set aside to survive the drought months, because you WILL have losing months periodically. So my suggestion, you need 6 months' worth of living expenses, plus a deep poker bankroll (100 BIs for STTs, 250 for MTTs, 75 for cash HU or PLO, and 50 for 6max NLHE). For 100NL that would be ~$15,000 or so.

Also, never ever keep your whole bankroll online. Keep like 5 BIs online or so, redeposit if you bust, and withdraw periodically.

Also you have to grind at least 30 hours a week, potentially as much as 40 or even 50 (depending on winrate and stakes), and be sure to pick a site with a good cashback program to grind because you WILL need it. Your raw winnings only get you so far.

And you will need to spend a long time off-table reviewing your hands and plays, to keep yourself sharp, advance and move up to the next level. Also, you need to try and balance that with a healthy lifestyle and avoid tilt.

(Yeah I've given this a bit of thought :D)

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had good live poker skills, it would be far easier to obtain your goal, then playing online poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
OP, try reading some of the interview threads here recently on CC - - players who've left the USA so that they can continue to play online poker full-time for a living (keeping in mind that these are players who in many cases have played for a living for years). You might be surprised by what you read there.

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For cash, NL100 is the minimum probably. You might be able to make that much in 50NL if you're REALLY good and you're playing at least four 6max tables or 8 full ring ones.

For tournaments, I think likewise -- you'd need to be playing something like $50 SnGs, over multiple tables.

To grind full time you'll need a liferoll rather than just a bankroll -- you'll need money set aside to survive the drought months, because you WILL have losing months periodically. So my suggestion, you need 6 months' worth of living expenses, plus a deep poker bankroll (100 BIs for STTs, 250 for MTTs, 75 for cash HU or PLO, and 50 for 6max NLHE). For 100NL that would be ~$15,000 or so.

Also, never ever keep your whole bankroll online. Keep like 5 BIs online or so, redeposit if you bust, and withdraw periodically.

Also you have to grind at least 30 hours a week, potentially as much as 40 or even 50 (depending on winrate and stakes), and be sure to pick a site with a good cashback program to grind because you WILL need it. Your raw winnings only get you so far.

And you will need to spend a long time off-table reviewing your hands and plays, to keep yourself sharp, advance and move up to the next level. Also, you need to try and balance that with a healthy lifestyle and avoid tilt.

(Yeah I've given this a bit of thought :D)
That is very kind of you.You are absolute right.Yeah,liferoll,I have to manage that.You also give me true confidence going on poker.Thanks

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, try reading some of the interview threads here recently on CC - - players who've left the USA so that they can continue to play online poker full-time for a living (keeping in mind that these are players who in many cases have played for a living for years). You might be surprised by what you read there.
How can I find those threads?Would you please give me more tips or information?

H

HoldOnTheRail

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is 2k$ really that hard. Oh yeah :D Its not 2,3 days of play its whole ****ing year. It's a lot of hard work for sure.Playing long hours and doing A game all the time, even when bad runs come is so haaard. I believe with healthy foods,exercise, no drugs - fresh mind will make it. But wtf saying is easy what to do, but doing is tuff ruff. GL. BTw Iv been making 650$ a month NL10 few hours a day(And still I am). Of course Iv been playing poker for a long time. And Im still doing drugs and Im still not working hard. FUK. Someone mentioned the love for poker. Hmm. Its hard to love it when you overplaying it. At least the competition is interesting.

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is 2k$ really that hard. Oh yeah :D Its not 2,3 days of play its whole ****ing year. It's a lot of hard work for sure.Playing long hours and doing A game all the time, even when bad runs come is so haaard. I believe with healthy foods,exercise, no drugs - fresh mind will make it. But wtf saying is easy what to do, but doing is tuff ruff. GL. BTw Iv been making 650$ a month NL10 few hours a day(And still I am). Of course Iv been playing poker for a long time. And Im still doing drugs and Im still not working hard. FUK. Someone mentioned the love for poker. Hmm. Its hard to love it when you overplaying it. At least the competition is interesting.

65 bi a month?

Graphs or its a lie

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So like an average ROI of +500% or sumthin'?

NO.

'If' a player were to be hoping to profit $2k/mth & they were playing 5days/wk. I'd think they'd need to be playing closer to a figure like $400/day in buyins (& probably 30+ tourneys per day).

You are using cash game math (ROI) for MTT's; that won't work in this example. So, lets think about this one; lets say 20 days of play, desired 2k in profit. Add to the 2k what you plan on spending each day in buyins. Let's say $25.00 for a baseline; that's another $500 you need to win.

So, one 2.5k win out of 20 attempts per month, or two $1.25k wins out of 20, or 4 $625 wins out of 20...then that would equal an average of 100 a day after expenses (buyins).

So, the question is; is there a $25.00 buy in game every day that you could make the money in and hit those targets? Merge has a $16.50 1k gtd with 85 players; 349.75 top win, 32.62 for 11th. They also have a $33.00 buyin with only 26 players, but only 4 pays; 1st gets 876.00, 4th gets 219.00. Number of players is like the wind; changes every time.

Which is easier? Top 11 out of 85 or top 4 out of 26? Either way, you would still have to make the pays often enough and that is not always so easy. It's possible to make 2k a month off of either, but you would have to spend (33 x 20) 660.00 per month or (16.50 x 20) 330.00 per and win enough often enough to hit the 2k target. So that would be at least the equivalent of 3 outright wins in the 33.00 game or almost 7 outright wins for the 16.50 game. 3 out of 20 is not bad.

Still, I think I would just play cash games. Easier to calc out hourly amounts and use your ROI to your advantage.

IM deusXmachina

IM deusXmachina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you want to set a goal of how much you want to make, that's fine. But first you need to figure out what your Bankroll is. Then learn what Bankroll Management is. After that regardless of whether you want to play tourneys or cash you will have a guideline for how much you can afford to risk at one time in each (it is important to recognize that you can wager over twice as much in cash-due to the higher likelihood of a return on your money, and due to the difference in the structure of the game) ONCE YOU'VE learned all that information, you can see if 24K a year is a realistic goal for you. Good Luck!

:2h4:

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is very kind of you.You are absolute right.Yeah,liferoll,I have to manage that.You also give me true confidence going on poker.Thanks
Mind you: I have no clue how tough $50 buy-in tournaments are, but 50NL is very tough (I think it's like 60% regs on average or something), and I imagine $50 SnGs are fishier, but just as tough to beat because of the lower realized skill edge.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
65 bi a month?

Graphs or its a lie
400 hands/hour (achievable by 5 or 6-tabling 6max) at 3BB/100 for 42 hours a week, in a site with at least 27% rakeback/cashback, will yield that result.

So, not that far of a stretch.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would definitely recommend having more then 5 bis for your appropriate level, I would say at least 10 and would feel safer with 20, but I'm sure there will be a lot of varying opinions on that regard.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude wayyy too easy. Just play one $200+ buyin mtt a month and bink it. Now set your goals higher!

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely recommend having more then 5 bis for your appropriate level, I would say at least 10 and would feel safer with 20, but I'm sure there will be a lot of varying opinions on that regard.
Hooray for missing the point.

I'm not saying your roll should be 5 BIs total, that's stupid and suicidal if you live off the game.

I'm saying you should keep no more than that amount ON, SITE. Because if you have your whole bankroll in a site and something retarded like Black Friday or Lock's collapse happens (or they just give you shit about withdrawing), you are royally ****ed.

Like, what is it with people thinking bankroll = amount on site? It's retarded.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You are using cash game math (ROI) for MTT's; that won't work in this example. So, lets think about this one; lets say 20 days of play, desired 2k in profit. Add to the 2k what you plan on spending each day in buyins. Let's say $25.00 for a baseline; that's another $500 you need to win.

So, one 2.5k win out of 20 attempts per month, or two $1.25k wins out of 20, or 4 $625 wins out of 20...then that would equal an average of 100 a day after expenses (buyins).

So, the question is; is there a $25.00 buy in game every day that you could make the money in and hit those targets? Merge has a $16.50 1k gtd with 85 players; 349.75 top win, 32.62 for 11th. They also have a $33.00 buyin with only 26 players, but only 4 pays; 1st gets 876.00, 4th gets 219.00. Number of players is like the wind; changes every time.

Which is easier? Top 11 out of 85 or top 4 out of 26? Either way, you would still have to make the pays often enough and that is not always so easy. It's possible to make 2k a month off of either, but you would have to spend (33 x 20) 660.00 per month or (16.50 x 20) 330.00 per and win enough often enough to hit the 2k target. So that would be at least the equivalent of 3 outright wins in the 33.00 game or almost 7 outright wins for the 16.50 game. 3 out of 20 is not bad.

Still, I think I would just play cash games. Easier to calc out hourly amounts and use your ROI to your advantage.
what?:confused:
I'm using cashgame math? Umm.. sorry. Actually I'm not.
And... I don't know wtf you think you are talking about here again in make-believe world.

Michael, go ask any MTT players who 'if' (< hypothetical because it's not really practical) they were to average out profit... because it's obviously impossible to calculate over small samples how many games would they likely be playing & at what buyin to win (on avg.) $2k/mth. Pretty sure you're not going to find a single one who's going to play in 20mtt's per month (20/day would likely be a low number)

Last edited:
Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what?:confused:
I'm using cashgame math? Umm.. sorry. Actually I'm not.
And... I don't know wtf you think you are talking about here again in make-believe world.

Michael, go ask any MTT players who 'if' (< hypothetical because it's not really practical) they were to average out profit... because it's obviously impossible to calculate over small samples how many games would they likely be playing & at what buyin to win (on avg.) $2k/mth. Pretty sure you're not going to find a single one who's going to play in 20mtt's per month (20/day would likely be a low number)

Now hold on; You divide 2k over 20 days played it's 100 per day you need to make, not including the by ins. That simple. That is not make believe, thats simple division! (2,000 divided by 20 = 100) And I am not saying it would be practical. You would have to, as I showed, win at least 3 out of those 20 $33.00 buy in games you play every month just to cover the cost of the buy ins and make 2k in profit. If you could and had the time, you certainly could play one $33.00 game per day for 20 days.

Now, could you win enough to cover your expenses and show a 2k profit every month? I doubt it. You would have to be awfully good.

But wait - are you talking about playing 20 MTT's per day "(20/day would likely be a low number)"? What number of players over all? What buy in? What are the blinds at? 5 mins, 3, 20?? 20 per day sounds like make believe unless I know what type you are talking about.

Last edited:
luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks!You said you play NL10?I think it is cash game.Why don't you play tournament?Have you ever tried it?

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
16 tabling 3/4 hours a day NL10.VPP money + FPP. Whats so amazing about that? I can proove it.

3/4 means what?3 to 4 hours a day?How can you play 16 tables at the same time?How many screens do you have?How big are they?

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people play a super huge number of tables and just tile them.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people play a super huge number of tables and just tile them.

Cash games or MTT? I don't know how you could split your concentration over a large number of MTT games at once, yet clearly some can.

In cash games you sometimes call knowing you might be beat, however, the one time you win pays for the times you did not; so you call, right? If you are wrong then you simply replenish your stack. As you cannot always do that in a MTT (unless a rebuy), I do not see how players pull this off and remain profitable.

So what do you think is the secret of successfully multi-tabling MTT games? Or is there one?

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i kinda had a dream of being able to live with poker money.. but tried many times,.. my tilt was finishes me off.. so i kinda feel comfortable now having a job, puting some 50$ on stars.. turning some 400$ profit, cash out and start all over again... i felt sick after lose 3k in one day and promised to myself never do that again... but we all know how poker goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.