Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"The night clouds dissolve

Hotei pointing at the moon

holds no opinion"

('Moon of Enlightenment', from Tsukioka Yoshitoshi's One Hundred Views of the Moon, via monkeybuddha.blogspot.com)

This aint about western science, stats, math or anything else you learned in skul. I am asking if anyone has had experience with the phenomenon I am describing, not looking for an argument on the origins of science or its validity. If all your understanding must come from there, too bad.

Attachments

• yoshitoshi-moon-hotei.jpg
    yoshitoshi-moon-hotei.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 12
pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[x] makwa smoked some good shyt today

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nun Wu Jincang asked the Sixth Patriach Huineng, "I have studied the Mahaparinirvana sutra for many years, yet there are many areas i do not quite understand. Please enlighten me."
The patriach responded, "I am illiterate. Please read out the characters to me and perhaps i will be able to explain the meaning."
Said the nun, "You cannot even recognize the characters. How are you able then to understand the meaning?"
"Truth has nothing to do with words. Truth can be likened to the bright moon in the sky. Words, in this case, can be likened to a finger. The finger can point to the moon's location. However, the finger is not the moon. To look at the moon, it is necessary to gaze beyond the finger, right?"

Source: Zen Inspiration

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
walter pointing at the "moon"

tc_white_bl.gif
tc_white_br.gif

tc_white_tl.gif
tc_white_tr.gif
tc_white_bl.gif
tc_white_br.gif

tc_white_shadow_tl.png
tc_white_shadow_t.png
tc_white_shadow_tr.png
tc_white_shadow_l.png
tc_white_shadow_r.png
tc_white_shadow_bl.png
tc_white_shadow_b.png
tc_white_shadow_br.png

2368151427_feba7fa266.jpg

This was the first time I had heard Walter say "moon" and identify it. He's not outside in the evening very much...he must have learned this word at school.
Source, txs to: walter pointing at the "moon" and "tower" on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[x] makwa smoked some good shyt today
Yas yas, txs txs.

And good thanksgiving full moon to boot, w turkey and all the trimmings. Any canucks out there, happy thanksgiving!! Please drop by if u r in Ottawa. You Americans, we will celebrate yours too in Nov. near the full moon. You Brits and others not from here, as you were, carry on, sure you also have seasonal, moon-related events, so enjoy... Do these events affect your poker game (trying a different angle here)...?

Last edited:
M

MommaTina

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
gosh, i dont know about the changes in the moon....never paid that much attention as to my poker game, I just know I suck like 99% of the time, so maybe I could use it as a good luck charm or something!

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey my bad if it came across that I was making fun of you. I was not.. I would've posted this sooner but my 24-hour limit of 7 posts was used. I love space .. LOVEEEEEE.. the only thing I watch on TV is discovery / travel / science / history channels.. The world is amazing and i'm probably one of the biggest tree huggers you have ever met. however i'm not able to tell when there is a full moon without looking at the sky or seeing it on the calendar. The placebo effect does make sense in that thread as it would be something that works for you. You feel that the full moon does have these effects on you and you've said that over time it has proven itself to be true for you. There are others who say that they've done research and have read it has little to no effect.. they are either just too logical or it does happen to be a placebo effect for you. I don't think a placebo effect is a bad thing either. The mind is the most amazing powerful thing out there and if one could gain control of it and turn up the percentage we use they can be greatly rewarded with special abilities and such. Once again sorry if my post came off offensive.. I don't think i'll be able to post this for another 8 hours or so but i'll make sure it gets posted =) Have a good one.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^
I am not discounting other factors (such as physical), but the 'placebo effect' of the belief that the FM changes things, therefore it does, does come into play I think. Particualrly, a communal placebo effect, in that many people in society believe the moon alters things, so they alter their behaviour. This can extend to the poker room or anywhere...

The FM has many benefits. For instance, if you turn the money in your pockets around upon first seeing the FM, you will get more -- so I always do this on the way to the game!! Its always worked so far -- superstition turning to the placebo effect?? Wooooooo..sh...shhhh K now Im gettin silly. Or?