Is Fixed Limit Poker Waste of Time???

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad your interested in fixed limit Higgle. Recently I've been trying alot of new things and one of them happens to be limit holdem. I plan on writing an article that explains basically every facet of beating fixed limit. Right now I'm trying to get a good sample size down so I can have some quality numbers to back my information. Shoot me a pm and I would be happy to help you out with any of your questions. And yes I am beating it.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the OP is being a little hard on himself. Very few players are profitable right out of the gate. Drop down in stakes to give yourself more time to learn. But, a few basic books on poker strategy will probably do wonders.

Remember, like a lot of things, learning poker is a game of diminishing returns. As a newcomer, learning just a few things can make your chances of success 5 to 10 times higher. But, if you're randomly changing your playing style to find one that works, you might have an awful lot of trail-and-error ahead of you.

K

keekon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like no-limit the best because you can double up quicker and I find its easier to bluff. On limit how do you bluff youu can't raise alot and you are definetly going to get called no matter what. But on the loosing end of it. If you don,t want to loose money to fast, limit poker is great for a person.

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone once said limit is about your cards, no limit is about the players. The two games are very, very different animals

For limit, I'd recommend the Slanksy/Miller books.

For no limit, I'd suggest "Harrington on Cash."

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To the OP...I really like your attitude about it and the way you asked the question. That's a great way to get into poker and start learning about it.

No Limit and Limit are extremely different animals. Limit is most definitely not a waste of time unless you are used to no limit and not willing to learn how it's different. This doesn't describe the OP (though I think it does a few of the repliers).

The Sklansky/Miller book is excellent and that's a great jumping off point for you I think!

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no..

It will certainly waste a lot of your time,however it is profitable. In a simple nutshell the players you play against will usually be worse than you and that's good unless their just awful which happens and I'll explain that later. Limit at lower levels is a 5 card flop game 95% of the time. To use this to your advantage you must play great cards like ak and flop AK-7 and make the flush or drawing dead players pay by simply betting every street from position. On weaker loose tables play 56-7-10 10-j and a5 to draw to straight for cheap as many players will check the turn often when they miss and you can just check along hitting and picking up small to medium pots. There is usually just one huge pot a night and with implied odds it's usually best to see the flop even when it's capped with any 2 cards.

As I said earlier the problem with this game is awful players who don't know it's their turn and are rank noobs! You will not be able to decipher their hand range and worse off is the fact they will call with any pair negating your river bluffs with aj suited on a whiff flush draw. It's makes this game tough when you wait forever and pick up ak on the button raise and 4 call 2 of which are the noobs. Flop comes 10-j-3 and you keep betting and one players keeps calling with 8-3 cause he's an idiot. The only way to beat these guys is to check,check and put no money in and wait to hit your q bet the river and they will call with a 10. You can exploit these players by playing any high pp like jj and up and value bet them as well,but this takes forever and the other 6 players might be decent which makes them more playable with your 56 suited or qj off as you can decipher their range making this mix unplayable.

It's better to just leave the table with noobs in it they are cogs in the wheel and will destroy the game! What you are looking for is hyper agro players that you must fear not because they pay the most! Another good table set up is tight weak players that are regulars who are in foreign waters to check raises and free cards exploiting their tightness and picking up huge bluffs and made hands they won't know what you have. Be aware on these tables with hands like aj as the old guy usually has better and will call you down with aq instead of raising,same as qq often times on boards like 5-9-3 your overs are beats by kings if they keep calling because their so tight.

You can be profitable at this game if you decipher player characteristics,however it's usually 5 players in a pot and you must figure them all out and get lucky. It's a cheaper tighter game with less up swing and downswing potential. It's a real grind and really fun and you should expect at 3/6 limit a 9 dollar an hour rate gl:)