Do you judge players by their poker handles?

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
"it depends"
if they have 'wodeni' in the name or '72' or 'Mom' they're often spewy/bad aggros (in low/micro limits)
could prolly post some screenshots for examples ;)
I too tend to put more stock into location (location, location, location...)... ie. Netherlands are typically 3-betting spew fish... betting with no plan

Lol you've been there too huh?

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realize I judge players on their avatars.

I found myself hating someone because of their scumbag steve avatar and someone else for their dumb and dumber guy avatar.

For some reason it makes me think that's who they are

They didn't say anything to me. They might have won a hand or two against me but that's not uncommon and I usually don't hate people for that

Mark Gavr

Mark Gavr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Judged necessary for the game, not by name, but to judge by the name is silly

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obviously, judge the game and not the name.

But when i look for it I do tend to find correlations. not strong ones, but minor.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a new player (that you haven't gained other information to judge them on), How do you react to a handle like "Likes2Bluff"?
Generally, I make the assumption that their style is opposite to what their handle is in this case.

EA2USN

EA2USN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is the handle "Likes2Bluff" would be that it someone who has been around the game and using his name to entice payers into assuming that he is looser than he really is. Poker is about deception !

S

SBritt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my handles is awsum10, supposed to give the illusion of an unintelligent new player. But the problem is I AM an unintelligent new player. :p

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I don't judge user names that would be silly. I do get a good laugh at some of the Carbon poker names

NoWhammy, PostHunnidBBsorGTFO, UFold2MeNow, etc. are just a few names that make me chuckle at times.

Also usually when people say that they are new to poker or if they ask really dumb poker questions.. they are probably hustling you. Be alert & watch them before judging them.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No I don't judge user names that would be silly. I do get a good laugh at some of the Carbon poker names

NoWhammy, PostHunnidBBsorGTFO, UFold2MeNow, etc. are just a few names that make me chuckle at times.

Also usually when people say that they are new to poker or if they ask really dumb poker questions.. they are probably hustling you. Be alert & watch them before judging them.

Is 7-2 off suite a good starting hand? *shoves*

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always check the nationality of a player , cause I learned that there are characteristics in nationalities and I can use it to get a read .
gl on and off the felts

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always check the nationality of a player , cause I learned that there are characteristics in nationalities and I can use it to get a read .
gl on and off the felts

I'll be moving to Korea in January so I think my "nationality" will change from USA to South Korea :D

Maybe I can play on pokerstars now :D

P

pokernut92poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont judge a player by his name, but there are some real bad ones on carbon. I find it funny, that of all the things they can use for there name thats all they could think of ... but then again all i could think of was pokernut... which I kinda of am!! so lol

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not at all. A name is a name. I judge players more by their VPIP and PFR%. Those are statistics that give me way more valuable information in the long run.

G

GabrielRiley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An experience person can only judge the pokers players, if there is a person who is having the proper understanding of poker game then he will definitely understand or handles the poker player. Poker is a game based on information availability.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think about how they play other players, many times you can take advantage of playing bingo.. and other one can lose with monstrous hands.
Is good to see how they play those one called sharks... You can learn much from them.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Influenced by a poker ID? nope but as said in previous posts, I tend to judge based on where that individual calls home.

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have some of the most messed up names in online poker lol. it usually gets crazy comments thrown my way over and over again. i hope they judge me from name only.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe some people judge based on their avatar? I use to have an Eazy-E avatar on Carbon, but I got tired of all the racial jokes that people would throw out. The jokes got old quick and I didn't want to completely disable my chat. Couple people actually thought the picture was me *facepalm*

I guess people could judge you based off your avatar.

http://www.tucsonpokernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/badbeatskid.jpg

^^ That's my current avatar on Carbon. Whenever someone rants or starts to whine, I point to my picture :D

EA2USN

EA2USN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe some people judge based on their avatar? I use to have an Eazy-E avatar on Carbon, but I got tired of all the racial jokes that people would throw out. The jokes got old quick and I didn't want to completely disable my chat. Couple people actually thought the picture was me *facepalm*

I guess people could judge you based off your avatar.

http://www.tucsonpokernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/badbeatskid.jpg

^^ That's my current avatar on Carbon. Whenever someone rants or starts to whine, I point to my picture :D

Lol, Funny photo

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be a good indicator, for the most part.....

Any players whose name contains the words "aces" or "boi" I find to be poor

Yet any players whose name makes reference to "3betting" or "position" tend to be better.

astrokiiD

astrokiiD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think every player has a unique way to play poker, it counts the game who shows us any player, not the country or name or lvl

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I see bluff in a name, I think they're bluffin, so I keep callin.
When I see nuts in a name, I fold.

I believe everything I read. I believe it makes me more selective. (spinal tap)

CTAnon

CTAnon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say no, but anyone with basic knowledge of psychology would have to disagree. For example, was just freerolling on ACR and saw a guy that's handle was along the lines of "haha bluffed you" and I couldn't help but push all in when he check raised me when I boated the flop.

infotunes

infotunes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guess when someone has like 666 in his name, I think he is rebellious in his play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands