The instant reraise as a tell

Weregoat

Weregoat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I woulda popped you with A5. Gotta put you on a hand that missed if you're betting. The raise says I hit, get outta my pot.

Hard to say at a micro though. I don't play those because I don't have the patience for'em. And I can't really see a come-up of $.35 as a come up, anyway. Admittedly it's my own short-sightedness, and I'm sure some bankroll management would do me some good. =P

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too many people in here are concentrating on the actual hands/cards. In many situations, we are playing the player, not the cards.

I took the op's meaning to be about reads on a LOOSE player. Many in here have mentioned tight players or players that mix up their game. OP didn't ask for advice on those players, but on the specifics of that situation, which was against a loose player who had been doing this the whole time.

D

davewalley

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think too many people in here are concentrating on the actual hands/cards. In many situations, we are playing the player, not the cards.

I took the op's meaning to be about reads on a LOOSE player. Many in here have mentioned tight players or players that mix up their game. OP didn't ask for advice on those players, but on the specifics of that situation, which was against a loose player who had been doing this the whole time.

I must agree, after a while in every game you can the players character and that's how you try to win, by using what you know about specific players and not by what you might guess regarding the other players...

CardLovinCat

CardLovinCat

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, play the player. With that said, I think I would have pushed the 44 after his min reraise preflop and taken it there. LAG's want to see a flop.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree, a loose player (fish, donk, ATM etc.) often insta raises thinking they are bluffing (acting strong). I see it a ton mostly in limit, stud and HE. Usually they have a draw or second best and want you to go away. LOL!! I've seen people try this and lose and then try again ten minutes later!! :p Funny thing is, in limit with pot odds, it's almost impossible for me to fold on 6th or 7th to one of these moves when I have a good hand -- they don't get it, I have to call no matter how fast they raise... Instaraise works better in NL and carries implied threats, but still..

No way I woulda been in this hand with 4s BTW.

C

CardDeath101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its good thinking its always confused me but reverse psychology can always happen :p

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it can be an inexpensive way to bluff and I think that sometimes with or without game depending on your stack and valid ..

8Michael3

8Michael3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use the insta min raise very rarely. And unfortunately people I do it with the NUTS OF A GIANT SQUIRREL (I think thats how you spell squirrel).

And my thinking behind it is: he has just invested chips into the pot so if I make it quick I can get him to commit just a little more. Its like a yes set in sales. someone says yes and they are more likely to say yes again. Someone commits chips and they are more likely IMO to commit chips if I'm quick about it.

Try it 10 times and see if it is something you could use.

Poker Tells