Any tips on limit ?

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With all due respect.....I don't think my advice is "terrible"......

Now...
I agree that i am not a professional....
I agree that i might not be totally right...... But it makes me money playing according to my advice....

as always my advice is only my opinion...and opinions vary, But to say that my advice is terrible is just plain rude "with all due respect" there are much better ways to correct someone who is atleast trying to help others...

But thanks for your opinion....
:js4: :as4:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. don't open limp
2. don't cold call (3bet or fold)
3. understand raising in position in HU pots (on a draw, usually) to buy a free card (usually a semi-bluff)
4. understand raising in position in multi-way pots on a draw because you have equity
5. buy Ed Miller's book.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as always my advice is only my opinion...and opinions vary, But to say that my advice is terrible is just plain rude "with all due respect" there are much better ways to correct someone who is atleast trying to help others...

But thanks for your opinion....
:js4: :as4:

This is out of order but I'll put this first because it's most important. I apologize for the word choice if it offended you. I do admit that my posts come out rash and arrogant. Just for reference...

I agree... This is the most terrible advice i've ever seen....

... which is kind of why I used that word to begin with...

Now to more interesting stuff:

Now...
I agree that i am not a professional....
I agree that i might not be totally right...... But it makes me money playing according to my advice....

Limit is all about betting when you are ahead (value betting). You want to maximize pots and not give up free cards when you are ahead. Playing passive when you have the best hand but not a monster is a "subpar" way of playing hands.

There is a limited amount of money you can make per hand, so you need to maximize the amount you make on hands you win, and minimize the amount you make when you are not.

If you think I'm wrong, let me know where I go wrong here. You may be able to win at the nanos for a small amount but I doubt you could win over the long run at anything higher.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/poker-starting-hands.php
The hands i play with, un less i am in the BB and get a free view of the flop.
https://www.cardschat.com/limit-headsup-strategy.php
The misses.... I had a week of being on tilt.
I bet the flop as long as i hit, if i miss i just check it. I do set traps from time to time, as long as i don't see any draws on the board.

What i find most odd is that they are some what tighter in .05/.10, then they were in .02/.04.

1. don't open limp
2. don't cold call (3bet or fold)
3. understand raising in position in HU pots (on a draw, usually) to buy a free card (usually a semi-bluff)
4. understand raising in position in multi-way pots on a draw because you have equity
5. buy Ed Miller's book.
Did 1 to many times, hard lesson learned..
2 i have been folding to raises with crap, even in the BB, and SB
3, 4 i have been doing it a lot more, even better well in position.
And yes i highly need to get some books.
Thanks

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet with best, Good Draw to Invest, Fold all the Rest

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pick up a copy of Winning Low Limit HOLD'EM by Lee Jones. I helped my game.

J

Justin749

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing limit pretty regualarly and it is very hard to get people to fold. you always have odds to call a hand, and even big starting cards can hurt you. When you see a table where everyone is calling and very loose, you might wanna step away.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see a table where everyone is calling and very loose, you might wanna step away.

Failure to understand the concept of equity:

Equity

equity can be explained as your share of the pot. Every hand you are dealt has a certain chance to win before all the cards are out; even if someone has pocket aces on the same deal, your 72o still has a small chance to be the winner. This percentage is called your equity - the amount of the pot that you in some mathematical sense "own." This equity will change as cards are being dealt, of course - if you have 72o vs. AA preflop, but you flop two pair, your equity has shot through the roof - you may now suddenly be a favorite to win, whereas before the flop, you were a big dog! With a large equity, you figure to win more than your share of the money that's bet, so raising is a good idea.

Let's look at those pocket aces a little more closely. Every starting hands chart recommends you to raise with them, so let's examine why: If you have pocket aces and you're up against 9 other players (whose hands you have no information on yet, let's say that you're UTG), your average equity will be 33%. This is how well aces fair against 9 other hands that call all the way to the river; ~30% of the times, the aces win. A bit of a bummer, perhaps, that your aces won't even win a majority of the time, but at least you have a better chance of winning than anyone else at the table. But also keep in mind that it's highly unlikely that everyone else will call all the way to the river, so perhaps your winning chances are a bit better than 30%.
But what if everyone calls anyway? Then you're surely in trouble - 7 times out of 10, you won't win the hand.

So?
Look here: 3 times out of 10, you will win 20 bets (the big blind + your raise), and 7 times out of 10, you will lose 2 bets (your raise). A win of 60 bets, and a loss of 14. That's a net win of 46 bets! That's HUGE! It's true that you won't win more than half the time, but that's okay because you're paying considerably less than half of the money going into the pot. This is why we raise with AA: It has a huge equity preflop, and anyone who calls you is paying you more than they're winning. AA is so likely to win the pot in the end, that you can safely raise now and expect to show a profit in the long run. The same, of course, holds true with KK and QQ.
But what about AK? This so called "drawing hand." It's true that it's considerably weaker than AA, but it's far from helpless. And even against a large field of opponents, AK will still win more than its fair share of the pots. You flop a pair on average once every three times with AK, but for the same reason that AA is okay even if it only wins 30% of the pots, AK is okay even if it only gets help once every three times. It will simply win more than its share of pots, even against many opponents. Especially when suited.

The lesson here is that with hands that have strong equity, you should raise preflop. How strong a hand's equity is depends on what it's up against, of course, and you can never be quite certain of that. In one specific case it doesn't matter: If you have AA, you can always raise safely. KK, on the other hand, is in big trouble if it finds itself up against pocket aces, but the risk of that happening is so small that as a general rule of thumb, you should always raise with KK preflop, as well. However, with hands such as 55, do they really have a big equity vs. 4 other opponents preflop? Hardly. In fact, they are probably pretty far behind. But they can still be played profitably, and for the same reason that suited connectors can.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing limit pretty regualarly and it is very hard to get people to fold. you always have odds to call a hand, and even big starting cards can hurt you. When you see a table where everyone is calling and very loose, you might wanna join that table and not step away.

Pretty much what AG said. Limit is not about winning pots. It's about maximizing the amount you win in hands you're ahead and minimizing the amount you lose when you are behind over the long run.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive been playing limit pretty regualarly and it is very hard to get people to fold. you always have odds to call a hand, and even big starting cards can hurt you. When you see a table where everyone is calling and very loose, you might wanna step away.
Thos are the tables i look for, if they want to fish let them, the only way they will learn, is to beat them...
I have made a good amount of $$$$$ from the fish....

-Steven

Poker Tips