A-K preflop early position

Z

zgaiba23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not be so aggressive with AK out of position.

sergios

sergios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would increase 5 meter precione blind and wait for the flop cards connected. if I do not connect fold

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise to around 180. Flatting this is a huge leak.

akran75

akran75

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate when I get tickets AK.I did not know to play.
and now I read this topic and I am nothing again learned.hundred people ,hundred idea.
My opinion is that is still going strong with the Reis than a tactic. If poker is one of poyitivnih feature aggressive play, then do not wait just moyen AA KK..to be aggressive

777BODYA777

777BODYA777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my argument against overcall. First, your equity is stretched thin from number of callers. Second your OOP. Third your HJ CO and BTN players have an extremely wide range making your OOP very difficult. Fourth, people are particularly wary of big ace hands which makes your value plays less rewarding. Fifth you want to widen up your 3bet range to get value on your big pocket pairs, and AK is a great hand to do it with. Sixth, your post flop play against a single caller is solid with the betting lead. Your most likely against a smaller ace, big suited connectors, or medium pocket pairs. You have decent equity against most of this and fold equity against the rest. You can easily cbet any jack or better board, get value if your ace or king connects against a smaller ace or king by repping a likely second best hand.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play AK aggressively in a cash game?? I must be missing something.

Let's look at AK vs. possible holdings of the open raiser.

AK vs. Other Aces and KQ. Obviously other AK combos null out. Mid position, let's give him credit down to ATo.

That's 64 combos of hands where you are 72% favorite to win.

AK vs. QQ or less

That's 66 combos where you are a 45% dog to win.

AK vs. AA or KK

There are 4 combos where you are 20% doggy dog to win.

There are 4 combos where you are 9% dirty dog.

So our weighted average is:

[(64x72) + (66x45) + (4x20) + (4x9)]/138

56%. If it's better than flips move the chips!!

You're a favorite overall with a raise against a fairly tight player. Obviously if your first opponent is opening things like suited connectors there's a lot of hands that fold out here as well. So most of the time your opponent is folding here. It would be a mistake for your opponent to flat with players behind in position, so anything very strong is getting shoved. Now you have to really evaluate the situation. There's less KKs and AAs than JJ and QQ, so you might have to suck it up and go for it...

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mid position with AK is for me a definite flat call for this situation. Most chances one of the other 3 have a monster better than yours. Look is cheaper as risking a chunk for a 259 board and some has 45 suited and more rags pop on board because the other 2 villians have an A or K in hand that you wished came in flop. What was the out come what did you do?

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone who doesn't advocate a 3bet here is an awful player. End of.

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You are correct I misread. I mixed SB and mid position. I need to read a bit slower. Villian was mid position raiser. 3 bet would be good. Question is how high? Probably pot size would scare too many away.:flowers:

N

Nephilim13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would surely go for a 3bet, even 4 bet or all in if neccessay. Just to show strenght, which this hand has and push as many people from the play as possible.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Villian was mid position raiser. 3 bet would be good. Question is how high? Probably pot size would scare too many away."

Out of position, and really even in position, I'm happy to get folds all around with AK. I don't mind going heads up for sure, but the implied odds for AK aren't so great unless you have a very loose image or you're playing against a bluffy/aggro player. But there's a lot of pitfalls that come along with AK post flop.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How is AK a stronger tournament hand than a cash game hand? In cash games very rarely is someone going to call an all in with TT or lower PP. Even JJ is a hard all in call in cash games. In tournaments on the other hand people will call your shove with middle pairs all the time so shoving it is not always a good option.

Anyways if the table is as crazy as you say it is I am shoving this every single time. If we are afraid to lose all our stack in this situation then clearly we shouldn't be playing at this level.

The greatest strength of AK lies in it's ability to pick out a ton of uncontested pots and even if someone comes along for the ride there are all but 2 hands that have you in big trouble. And the odds of someone holding those hands while you are holding AK are significantly low to the point that being a maniac here is profitable.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

H

heavystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plays at: pokerstars
Game: NLHE
Quote:
Originally Posted by love that omaha
Even a fold is an option
Yes, folding is an option. Just as skydiving without a parachute is an option.

Thats pretty funny. how sick would you be to fold and flop comes 10,j,Q..
No way folding is an option.. To bad its not suited...

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plays at: Pokerstars
Game: NLHE
Quote:
Originally Posted by love that omaha
Even a fold is an option
Yes, folding is an option. Just as skydiving without a parachute is an option.

Thats pretty funny. how sick would you be to fold and flop comes 10,j,Q..
No way folding is an option.. To bad its not suited...

While you are correct this is never a fold but your reasoning is completely wrong. By that logic we should also never fold 23 because the flop might come A45 or 332.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

maik357

maik357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is why people tend to forget poker does have a percentage of luck. If a donk was holding 23 and 233 flopped, he is lucky, or would some one call that skill? Same for AK. The skill is now the next move. Bad luck for AK, does he shove, does he chk, does he call? He has maybe a 2% chance of hitting runne runner.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm holding AK and the flop comes TJQ I'm not exactly thrilled. Unless I can put my opponent on JJ or QQ...

A

a159

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
should carefully to play,AK is not the best card,many cards can beat it

G

GZVII

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to 3bet here.. u probably will make some of them to fold.

J

jervi1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I have to agree be more aggressive

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing I would add here is that what you could do depends on how you are perceived at the table.

To my mind, ideally if you've been playing tight and can make em all fold then great, pick up those bets and call it a hand but if you've been playing loose and aggressive then over-betting may not work anyway.

Having said that, pre-flop agression is your friend here. You'll be out of position post flop so if you can narrow the field, do it.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would tend to 3bet/ fold to 4bet AK0, but flat if suited. The value of a 3bet is obvious. The reason I would tend to flat if suited is I want to win a BIG pot whenever I can and I am willing to gamble $25 to win $1800+. I want callers if I hit a monster or a strong draw.

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Exactly.

A large 3 bet, like 200, and then jam on the flop on pretty much every board. That way even when you miss making a pair you maximize fold equity and your hand can EASILY be read as aces or kings. The only way this isn't profitable is if the original raiser only raises aces or kings. If he extend his raising range to even just the top 10% of hands, you're making good money here.