Game Format
No Limit
Stakes
$2/$5
Table Format
Full (8-10 seats)
Currency
$
Hello All - wanted to seek feedback on how this hand could have been played.

Preflop - Hero is CO

AsKc at CO. UTG+1 and HJ limped.
Hero raises to 5bb. BB calls and UTG+1 and HJ call

Flop - Ad 8h 6s

Action check to CO. CO bets 10bb. BB raises to 25bb. Action folds to CO. CO calls 25bb.

Heads-up

Turn is 2s

BB checks. CO bets 25bb. BB goes all-in at 116bb.

How should the play this or any other street. CO stack is 130bb

Looking for feedback.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Pretty standard iso raise, and sizing looks good as well. Or at least it would be good for an online game. If the normal open raise in this game without limpers is already $20 or more, then you probably want to go bigger to thin the field.

Flop
Seems like pot is 20BB, so you bet half pot. From a theoretical point of view that is probably a bit to large, but dont think, this is much of an issue in a soft live game, which it must be with 2 players limping. Now BB check-raise, and this is not a fun spot for top pair, when the board is relatively dry like this with no flushdraw and only a few straightdraws, that should not be all that much represented (97 and 75). He should not be calling a 5BB raise with hands like A8 or A6 out of position, but its live poker, so maybe he does it anyway. And of course he can have a set. Still I dont think, you can fold just yet, since maybe he sometimes overplay a hand like AQ or AJ. So I would also call here, but I would not love my spot.

Turn
When we got check-raised on the flop, we should rarely be betting for value on later streets with just one pair. So here I would be very happy, he checked to you, and check back for some pot control. As played I fold to his jam. A dubble check-raise is a very strong play, and at this point I think, we can rule out overplayed AJ or AQ, unless you know something about this player. Like maybe he was drunk, or you had been battling with him during the session. But I would have prefered to check back and then make a decision on the river. It sucks to fold a hand as strong as TPTK, because it open a bluffing opportunity. But it suck even more to lose your entire stack, when he got lucky and flopped two pair or a set on you.

A

AdamasDate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
PreFlop
Standard play here; nothing wrong with the sizing. I would say it is maybe too small for live. People seem to call bigger raises sizes; if you can get more value and get more folds, then why not?

Flop
Not feeling the half-pot bet feels on the larger side to me. Yes, you have a decent hand, but would you want to face a raise of that size multiway? With the ranges being as wide as they are, Maybe bet 5BB, and if you get raised, it's an easier call.

Once you do face the raise, we need to think about what the person's hand looks like (A8, A6, 88, 66) for value combos. Bluffs have to be some kind of backdoor draw A7h but there aren't many, so it seems to be leaning towards value, but too early in the hand to fold here.

Turn
On turn 2, changes are not too much, then bring in a new spade draw. He checks to you, and you bet I believe we should be checking a lot here, trying to reach showdown. Remember, we have only 1 pair of hands, and it was 4 ways to begin with, so his range is still very strong, so check and see a river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffs have to be some kind of backdoor draw A7h but there aren't many, so it seems to be leaning towards value, but too early in the hand to fold here.
For me the most logicals bluffs are 97 and 75, which flopped an OESD and has no showdown value. And I think, BB could have least have the suited combos of those. But the question is, how often such hands are check-raised on this particular board against 3 opponents? A high boards tend to favour the preflop raiser, and they are very static. So its not like, a lot of great scare cards can come on the turn and river.

The preflop raiser should also have a much stronger range, when he C-bet into 3 opponents as opposed to 1. If only BB had called, then the preflop raiser is probably "allowed" to bet small with his entire range on a board like this. But against 3 opponents the betting frequenzy should be much lower and skewed towards value. Hands like 99-KK for instance are probably a check behind and hope to spike a set.

So when Hero C-bet here, his hand is quite face up as exactly the kind of hand, he actually has. Its going to be a lot of AK, AQ, AJ. So the question is, does Villain check-raise, because he wants to start a big multi street bluff and make those hands fold? Or does he check-raise, because he can beat them and wants to stack Hero? And without information I would say, that the latter is far more likely.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The raise on the flop seems super suspicious to me. I thin V doesn't want you to leave this hand, he is inviting you to continue playing. It is possible that for him, your range includes AX hands so he hopes to get more value from them.
As played OTT and following my intuition seems that V wants to be polarized. That is, now that another spade card appears he prefers to make you believe that he is willing to pursue his draw until the end. I honestly don't believe him, for me his range has many more values than bluffs and that's why I would fold on the turn.

Last edited:
K

krisnodoubt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Thanks a lot guys. This was very helpful and sorry for a delayed response.

It indeed was a soft live game where $20 preflop raise were getting called by at least 2 ppl. In reflecting upon the hand, I was thinking If I should have re-raised on the flop rather than c-betting on turn. Over all the check on the turn makes more sense now. My c-bet on the flop was to get into a heads up which I got but with a raise. The big re-raise on the turn made me think he was on multiple draw or a set but I couldn’t find it in me to call him with my entire stack, considering I really didn’t have many odds that will improve my hand.

I ended up folding and he showed his 5s7s just like you had guessed. I ended up with a winning session over all but this hand just kept me thinking all day next day on how I could have played it differently and ended up winning the pot.

Thanks again for walking it through!!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Guys like that make big bets when they have extremely strong hands and make ridiculous bets (like the raise of flop) when they have draw or medium-weak hands. The fold was correct according to how you played on the turn.
The advice to check on the turn is good, since 2 of spade is not relevant for you or your opponent. You also have the Ace of spade that blocks nut flush draws. So you greatly reduce your opponent's semi-bluffing range.
If your villain had 5s7s, I understand and I'm glad you had a winning session in the end.