$4 NLHE 6-max: QQ strange line gets squeezed

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we're against an opponent who rarely calls oop and folds to much, i'd see AK as a good 3bet bluff hand. What's wrong with my thinking?

36s is a bluff hand

AK is a value hand, why bluff with a decent value hand.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO 5betting > 4betting small. You aren't playing against some reg here, you are playing against a brain dead 4NL player. Good luck inducing, when he sees a 4bet he'll think "the 4th bet is always AA" and fold stuff like JJ/TT/99 which are far more likely to call a weird looking shove where he's more likely to think "he's trying to get me to fold".

Where did you get the idea that I would 4bet small? I think he folds down to any sized 4bet. Your typical 4nl player may level himself if you shove but this guy is both nitty and flatting some wierd hands I think he may fold.

It's not breakeven because of the dead money, but obviously we want to play it in the most profitable way.

Def

I think there are some situations where you can profitably call but can't profitable shove - vs really small 3bets for example where the whole point of calling is because you know your opponent is too strong pre to attempt to bluff but where you can stack/bluff him post.

Not unless you get great implied odds. Where people go wrong is they get 3bet by a nitty guy, think "Im behind his 3bet range with QQ/JJ, dont get impled odds to call but call anyway as its a decent hand. They then put the guy on AK.. he has AK, the flop is safe so they call, he gives up they get to SD and win and then pat themselves on the back for a good call, but if you plug the numbers in to an ev calculator its -ev because being behind someones range in terms of equity means you lose this bet more often than you win it, so you need implied odds such that the times you win you can make up for that -ev call

People don't always think about ranges, and I doubt a 17/12/1.3 thinks about ranges much. Unless you've been really nitty wrt 3betting then I think he'll discount AK a fair bit, as well as QQ/KK/AA. We don't even know if he uses a HUD, and your range on the BTN for peeling a CO open is super wide and your explanation of CO folding to 3bets too much wouldn't even cross his mind if he doesn't have those stats in front of him.

No but on an Axx board, in a 3bet pot everyone thinks the other guy has an ace if they dont.

Why would you ever want to 3bet bluff with AK? Always 3bet for value - you flip with/crush/have OK equity against pretty much every hand (apart from AA obv).

I dont bluff with value hands!