Your First Final Table

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The luck is main factor in MTT.You just can't sit and wait to get AA like in cash games because the blinds will eat you.Luck is 70% of what you need to get in late phase of tournament

ljove

ljove

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I missed this article until now. I am truly impressed and thank you for sharing your words of wisdom. I also find myself inspired. Your article is making me think quite a bit about my play in general, not just ft and I am realizing just now that I haven't made a ft in quite some time and it's about time I refocused and did just that. Thank you again!
Hey Raven.I saw in your profile that you like hunting.Are you realy go hunting.It is little strange for me that women go hunting.Have you ever shoot something and what?Tell me please but don't cook one of those hunting stories.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you again!

You are very welcome. Please try not to make me more conceited than I am already. :)

The luck is main factor in MTT.You just can't sit and wait to get AA like in cash games because the blinds will eat you.Luck is 70% of what you need to get in late phase of tournament

If you are talking about a single tournament, you are correct. Nobody can predict with any certainty that they will reach the FT in a specific tournament. However, MTT players are playing for the long term, not for single tournies.

So far in 2009, over a sample of several hundreds of MTTs entered, I have cashed in 16% of them, and reached the FT in 7%. If you were to ask other successful players, you might be surprised at how closely their figures resemble mine, because that is about "par" for a strong online MTT player.

In other words, luck determines whether one wins on any particular day but, over a large enough sample, a good player wins just as sure as the sun comes up in the morning. Not much luck there. :)

aseablom

aseablom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Post! Time to go practice at some 9 player SNG's

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Raven.I saw in your profile that you like hunting.Are you realy go hunting.It is little strange for me that women go hunting.Have you ever shoot something and what?Tell me please but don't cook one of those hunting stories.

Yes I really go hunting and yes, I'm good at it :D I've shot several does, a few bucks, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, possum, quail, phesant, coyote and some other pesty animals.

I don't want to hi-jack this terrific thread so I'll give a short story that will make you believe (but I don't really care if you do or not, no offense, lol) that I am a successful female hunter:
First deer I ever shot was a 6 pt buck, he dropped 65 yards from where I hit him, wasn't quite dead when I walked up on him and he looked at me and gave a death cry. I balled like a baby, non stop tears for 5 minutes! :D (Then I gutted him) True Story!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's over half a year that I read the OP for the first time - I didn't know how to subscribe to a thread back then but still remembered some of it.

Now as I read it again I find out that I'm doing lots of the things you suggested.

Either I have some kind of photographic memory (strongly doubt that) or having played some (quite a few would be exaggerating) MTTs brought me to similar solutions.

I can't compare myself to you - or many other mid/high stakes players here - but your article was one of many here at CC that improved my game a lot.

At the micro stakes I'm still playing (no deposit) I have improved considerably turning a starting BR of 0.53$ into 300$+.

I'm always working on my game though my work keeps me from playing as much as I'd like to.

Just wanted to thank you for sharing and hope I can give my splinters of knowledge to the community sometime - just as you did.

BTW: OPR shows that I've got a crazy FT MTT ROI atm (94%) , ITM 20% - probably just because the stakes are so low - but sounds nice imo. :)

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
holy crap i been here for awhile and have never come across this thread.

Great article and awesome advice given Egon.

next time i make a final table....i should be able to take it down!!! lol or at least try

GordonStr222

GordonStr222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great post, good information.... Thanks, I'll make sure to read that again the next time I make the final table in a MTT...

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Egon - I have some observations on my recent play in regards to your article I would like your opinion on.

After reading this article you wrote, it really did inspire me btw, I found myself becoming much more focused on my game in the last couple of days. I'm pleased to report that I've come out of a downswing and have placed in the money more often in the last couple of days - Oct. 6th. thru Oct. 8th (17 sng's & mtt's - itm 10x) than I have in the last 30 days.

While playing the mtt's, I decided to apply some of your concepts each time I was moved to a new table. I sat for a short bit not playing any hands, just "breathing in" all the information. Then using that information to make a few steals "stack building". After a larger stack is built, I change gears again and concentrate on isolating with stronger hands "Aces & 9's". Then after showing down some strong hands, changing gears again to stack building & using all the info I've gathered plus the info I've given to my opps to get into the money (can't really think of how to incorporate "punching" on a full table so haven't even tried). Of course my goal isn't getting into the money, but taking down 1st place.

I believe over the last few days this method has helped me get into the money during my tourney play more often than I have been doing lately. I believe it has been especially helpful each time I've been moved to a new table. I haven't gotten especially deep yet, within 100-200 spots in mtt's with 4k plus opps, but it's only been a couple days.

I realize your article is targeted to final tables, however, do you think incorporating these techniques at new tables is productive/profitable?

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice strategy discussion put ina very nice way...
Thanks for the post. Well done.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post, now i see what i need to do, how to take care of some of them :)

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I realize your article is targeted to final tables, however, do you think incorporating these techniques at new tables is productive/profitable?

I certainly think that "breathing in" is good policy whenever you are moved to a new table, and this is a concept I use at all stages of a tournament.

Unless you first take time to study your opponents and establish your own table image, you can do nothing but play your cards as dealt and hope to get lucky - hardly a reliable route to success. Additionally, you can only guess at the meaning of an opponent`s move, unless you have seen something of his style of play.

That aside, in the early and middle stages of a tourney, effective stack size is mightily important. (In fact, AG said that up above, didn`t he ?) At the final table, all players are apt to be more or less short-stacked, which allows the relatively simple road-map which I laid out above to be effective. Where stack sizes are greater, there will be much more post-flop play and therefore additional factors to consider which are outside the scope of this thread.

Well done on your recent success, btw. :)

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome awesome awesome post i ever read...
Great work mate...
I want to read this post each and every time i reach a final table...

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, this actually helped today. Got 3rd place in an 121 people MTT rebuy, I did mess up trying to steal the BB with K2 os all in, but 3rd is still okay!

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm bookmarking this... it needs to be in golden archives lol, lost track of it for awhile.