What is the right play here?

DevilMe03

DevilMe03

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was fine to call and these are the spot when you limp and hit that you can extract maximum value. It was right to call the all in and you should not base your future decisions on this hand only. Poker is about making right decisions.
And calling UTG is fine with your stack.

Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played the hand correctly, but caught an unlucky river. Just keep on playing a lot more hands, and this one hand will not have a big affect on your overall gameplay/bankroll.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember even aces lose 1 out of 6 times on average. Poker is about making the right percentage decisions and you did nothing wrong. In tournament poker one shouldnt be making coin flip decisions when in the lead but yours wasnt a coin flip one, you were substantially ahead.

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you dont have the A never call an all in when are 3 cards of a possible flush on the table. Many players expect the tur or river for the 4-th card of flush with a K or an A. Y have seen that a lot of times really happening.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I am in this tournament and we are at the 3rd blind level. The first 4 blind levels are 40 minutes long. After that it goes down to 20 minutes. I am chip leader at my table and have a pretty good read on the other players. The blinds are 75,150. I limp in UTG with J,10 suited spades. A player two seats to my left has been very active and aggressive. I have noticed that he has overplayed, or over bet, a lot of hands relative to the blinds. He raises to 450. The button and both blinds call, so I call. The flop comes down 9,6,2 all spades. Both blinds check to me and I decide to check and see what my villain, the original raiser decides to do. He goes all in. The big blind looks reluctant to call but then decides to. The villain is setting with about 1/3 of the size of my stack. The big blind has about 1/4 the size of my stack. I think that there is no way that he would just go all in with a better flush than me. I didn't think that the BB was an advanced player disguising a better flush than me. I also figured that if he did have a better flush than the side pot would justify loosing the main pot. So I decide to call.

The villain has KK with a K of spade and the BB has A6o with the A of spades. Of course the 4th spade comes on the river. My question to the play is should I have represented the flush with a 1/3 or 1/2 pot size bet after BB checked to me? Is this another case of trapping myself? Also what are the odds of that 4th spade coming? I mean there are only 5 spades left in the deck at best if there wasn't one in another players hand or the burn cards. Should I just chalk it up to perhaps the BB has a Queen high flush and fold in that spot because it's so early in the tournament and look for a better spot?

I think the safest play preflop for me utg is the limp with J10 (which you have done) ,because we can call the raise and we know if it goes raise / re raise after our limp we should almost certainly be folding J10...
but we have the right equity to call the 3x raise

3 spades on the flop it comes Check Check back to you... we definately have to raise - 1/3 is fine or just under half a pot,

We want to see ta flat call preferably but if we have a re raise that gives us alot of information also.... we know the re-raise is very strong either holds a K or A of spades or an overpair (top pair even)

outcome number 1. villain check calls to the turn... if the card is not a spade, we are going all in on the next street (or betting the pot) as we know villain may still be holding a higher spade or holding a strong pair , So we firstly want
value if they have a big pair, or 2 pair etc, or we want to push them off the big spade..... as they cant call for 14% nut flushdraw.

Outcome number.2
villain moves all in, because we check, this is either a bluff or a strong holding such as A spade or top pair,
calling is the right play,
giving us the best hand and best equity for showdown winner.

X

xlmnx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunate ending but you played it almost correctly if you consider limping the suited connectors utg within your range. Just a river game sometimes

Agree, its just a matter of recognizing whats going on now that youve experienced this. GL