Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Where to begin????????? I too was in the $400 OFC freeroll yesterday. Had a fair stack. Got pocket jacks. Flop comes 9xx. I raise the pot. I think villain re-raised. (Memory problem). Turn comes up a blank. No straights, flushes, etc. in sight. Villain puts me all in. I expected at least a higher pocket pair and figured I would lose but took the chance. Imagine my surprise when he turned over A9. Thought I had it nailed. Of course an ace game up on the river (haha big surprise). My problem is not the ace on the river (well yes it is, but this is a constant), but how villain could go all in with a pair of nines when I either raised or called every bet. ALL IN WITH A PAIR OF NINES??????????????? What would you have done?

To say that this is a 'constant', I'm assuming you're referring to it happening often? Tournaments are like that.... all you can do is work at getting it in with the best of it, setting up your opponent so that they'll make a mistake. You have no control over the results so there's really no point in wasting any time on it (questioning it, etc.,.. 'why do they do that'.. 'how come this keeps happening to me'.. etc. etc.).

There's been many times (esp. lately) where I've gotten it in with the best of it, villain either gets lucky or makes a poor read/mistake and gets it in vs. me being way behind and then lo & behold the miracle cards fall and poof.. you're out of there (or are severely crippled). It happens... sometimes often. I used to flip out a bit about it, either freaking cuz villain plays sooooo bad or because they were soooooo lucky. I really don't care anymore... if I'm getting it in with the best of it, if I was able to set villain up to make a mistake (a 'huge' mistake even better, lol)... then I have done my work. Focusing on the results is a waste of time.

nomasburros

nomasburros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i didnt know that huds were that elaborate.....it makes me wonder if anyone has hands stored on me???and if they di if they would post it so ev1 can help me to understand what going on with my game too...

snow...love this thread...keep plugging away...

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nomasburros, if you think you might ever use a HUD I recommend configuring your online poker software to save your hand history. That way if you get the software (or just evaluate it during a trial period) it can import your old hands as well.

If you want a rough report you can have the Poker Edge website do a search on your name. It will five you a rough report (with a more detailed one emailed to you). Don't put too much stock in it, but at least it's a (very) rough idea.
WARNING: Poker Edge is illegal on all major poker sites because it can be used to give you unfair information on your opposition. Do not go to the Poker Edge website while you have a poker site open.

Feel free to look me up: SvgePenguin
It has me as a fish.
Kinda.

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ups and downs of poker,

Last night was a roller coaster ride.I was fortunate enough to win the Carbon freeroll for $50 and then played the bodog $5 satty to a $50 buy-in and finished 5th with 3 seats and 4th getting thier buy-in back.

The thing I was most happy about was keeping calm through the ups and downs and making good decisions.Then when things turned against me and I busted just short of $50,I stopped for the night with a decent profit for the day.

If I keep playing,I likely give some back because I was fatigued and not feeling I could play my best.

I am a person that is exciteable and I have to stay focused on being calm.
Keep emotions in check is good for my bankroll!

Snow :cool:

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a nice weekend with the 1st in freeroll I discussed (post #204) then backed it up with a win in the 1st CCCoHE and a 3rd in the 2nd CCCoHE.

The 3rd place finish is what I want to chat about.I have been really working on my focus and not having to many bad plays,especially at crunch time.

I started my day with 4 tourneys on my plate and feeling good about the roll I am on and looking forward to adding more profit.I unfortunately let someones comment in a thread get to me and I should have ignored them.

I didnt take my time and think out my plays and it bit me when I shoved over a raiser with a marginal hand.I didnt have enough info on this players style of play and didnt honestly have a hand that if called I would likely get bailed out with a badbeat.I finished 3rd as I said for a $50 profit,however I really need to slow down and concentrate.This is a constant battle for me,even as I make it my main focus.

The longer I play,the more I realize what a mental game poker is and the slightest lapses in judgement can instantly end your few hours worth of good play in MTTs.

I have cleared my head of distractions for now and look forward to playing my best today.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times when I have someone say something to me and I really want to comment back to them. But what I've learned to do, to keep me from doing that and calm me back down at the same time, is to type in the chat area something like "Calm down! You can't win this way.". I don't hit enter, I just let it sit there so that every time my brain thinks of something to type, it's there staring at me. Just a suggestion you can try.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok,I got lucky last night!

I should have been out and caught a river card and went on to Win the tourney.

From the sb, I get AK and raise from 100 to 300 (with a stack of 1200)
The BB calls (2200 chips).When I made this raise I was pushing the flop regardless since I would of only had 900 chips left.The flop qqj, I push and BB called with AJ.I river a K for the suckout.I dont say it with pride,but put it here for context about my Win.

I had 2200 chips with blinds of 50/100 when the following hand happened.
The table folds to me on the button and I have A3,and the sb has 600 chips and the BB has 1300.I really wanted to play the sb with their little stack and fold if the BB gets aggresive.I decided to min raise to 200 to see where everyones at in the hand.Both sb (400 chips now) and BB call (1200 chips) and we see a flop.I really didnt like this situation and thought to proceed with caution.

The flop came 763 (2 diamonds) and they both check to me.I have bottom pair and could bet,but if Im raised by the BB, then I would have to fold.I thought it was better to check also and hope to catch another 3 or an ace and strengthen my hand.I normally C-bet but I felt here that chances were good that someone wanted to check -raise me.I always try to mess the other guys plan up if I can.

The turn was a 9,putting a diamond and club draw possible on the board.They both check to me again and I decide they prob don't have much.I really wanted the BB out of the hand now.I bet 400 to hopefully isolate the sb and to have them all-in.With the BB only having 1200 chips left,he has to fold if he hasnt hit.The sb calls my 400 bet and the BB folds.Now I have limited my risk in the hand and just have to beat the sb who is all-in.The sb had a flush draw and 2 overs to the board,and I thought it was a good call considering thier situation.The river is another 3 giving me the hand and chips.

From then on I was on a tear and worked my way up to like 28000 chips and the next stack at around 5k.

We hit the final table and I picked up enough pots to maintain my lead and try to get it to short-handed.When we get down to 3 players,1 was Beau Akita (my wife for any that didnt know).She was the short stack and us 2 bigger stacks avoided each other and targeted her and soon had her out for HU match.

The player I was against is a good player and with blinds creeping up we got all the chips in after several hands and I was a slight favorite and my hand held.

I am on another roll with 3 CC wins and a 3rd in the last 4 days,and hope that I can keep rolling.When you do get lucky in a tourney,capitalizing on it and getting deep is obviously good for the bankroll.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice run snow.....

I'm multitabling 3.30 90 player turbo ko sngs on FT alot these days and have some success, too.

I found out (again) how important taking notes is - I see the same guys every day there.

I use the reads I got on their shoving ranges and wait for a decent hand that crushes their range.

Simple tactic but quite effective in this kind of game with half of the field being very LAG.

I get deep quite often like that - screeny shows the last days...

It puzzles me a bit that most opponents in the 2.25$ SNGs + MTTs are way better.

Attachments

• FT3.jpg
    FT3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 27
natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Congrats on the win! I was a victim to your luck last night. With 11 left I got Ks, Ad, and got all my chips in (2343). You called with 7d, 10h. Just as you stated about being lucky, the board came [Qc Qd 8c 6h] [10s]. Good night and good game Grampy. Had a good time though. :):cool:

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Congrats on the win! I was a victim to your luck last night. With 11 left I got Ks, Ad, and got all my chips in (2343). You called with 7d, 10h. Just as you stated about being lucky, the board came [Qc Qd 8c 6h] 10♠. Good night and good game Grampy. Had a good time though. :):cool:

That was a easy call since I had over 10x your stack at the time.
If I lose that hand ,I wouldnt of hardly noticed it in my chip stack.
Having a big lead gives you the flexibility to gamble with short stacks.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree with calling allins when you are the big stack. I don't know what the blinds were at the time but calling with ten7 when you have 10k and the shover is allin for 2k isn't a play I would make. You are giving them a good chance to get boosted to 4k and suddenly they can be a big thorn in your side. It's better to shove with any 2 when you have a huge lead than calling it. The only way you can win is playing it out for the showdown and its likely they have u crushed. If you are near the bubble it benefits the bigstack to have their opponents playing tight to squeeze into the money so why help everyone out by gambling to bust someone?

If you do the initial raises then you win the blinds easily because they will only play big hands. They have to call you. And most people will notice the other small stacks and realize hey why should I call and gamble when I can fold my way into the money and then go wild at that point.

Congrats on your recent heater Snow:cool: Hopefully, you won't get too far ahead in the leaderboard:p

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with calling allins when you are the big stack. I don't know what the blinds were at the time but calling with ten7 when you have 10k and the shover is allin for 2k isn't a play I would make. You are giving them a good chance to get boosted to 4k and suddenly they can be a big thorn in your side. It's better to shove with any 2 when you have a huge lead than calling it. The only way you can win is playing it out for the showdown and its likely they have u crushed. If you are near the bubble it benefits the bigstack to have their opponents playing tight to squeeze into the money so why help everyone out by gambling to bust someone?

If you do the initial raises then you win the blinds easily because they will only play big hands. They have to call you. And most people will notice the other small stacks and realize hey why should I call and gamble when I can fold my way into the money and then go wild at that point.

Congrats on your recent heater Snow:cool: Hopefully, you won't get too far ahead in the leaderboard:p

I had approx 22000 chips in the sb joe and BB had 2400.I made it 1200 to go and called his push for like 1200 more.I stand by my play and think it is right.

I had 8x his stack,not 10k and roughly 10x his stack after he posted his BB

Last edited:
ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have been meaning to read this and got started today. some great advice on insight here for sure. i appreciate you takin the time to share this with the world.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had approx 22000 chips in the sb joe and BB had 2400.I made it 1200 to go and called his push for like 1200 more.I stand by my play and think it is right.

I had 8x his stack,not 10k and roughly 10x his stack after he posted his BB

I see now, Snow yes I'd call there too. I did't know you had already raised to 1200 and only had to call another 1200 - I thought it was 2400 cold.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Okay so I haven't posted here on this thread for a number of reasons... main one being I'd like to only post something positive and to be honest I feel I might end up going down the opposite road.
Firstly... I think it's great that you're sharing your ideas with others here on the forum, giving them insight into how you play. It also sounds like many are benefitting from it alot and sounds like they really appreciate it. That is very cool.

I can't say I agree with alot of it and have considered going into detail about a few things I have read but just don't think I have the energy for that atm.... maybe I should though as it might just benefit some others.

Good job!

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay so I haven't posted here on this thread for a number of reasons... main one being I'd like to only post something positive and to be honest I feel I might end up going down the opposite road.
Firstly... I think it's great that you're sharing your ideas with others here on the forum, giving them insight into how you play. It also sounds like many are benefitting from it alot and sounds like they really appreciate it. That is very cool.

I can't say I agree with alot of it and have considered going into detail about a few things I have read but just don't think I have the energy for that atm.... maybe I should though as it might just benefit some others.

Good job!

It doesnt surprise me you dont agree with alot of what I say,you have went out of your way to disagree with me in many post since I joined CC.

I would ask you, for sake of confusion, to start your own thread with your ideas about the game and not pollute this thread.

The reason I started the thread was because I was asked my strategys and if you dont agree with how I Win often, then it may be best to start your own thread.

Last edited:
Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to make sure that everyone understands that Im not saying that my way is right about poker.You need to use your own experiances and the situations will very alot based on the people you are up against.

My only goal here is to let people know how I play in different situations.I have been on a great run and consider myself very lucky and I make plenty of mistakes.I try to learn from them and do better the next time!

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Good job!

LOL, THE PLAYERS CHAMP will play you any time. This is like if Jay Cutler told John Elway how he should have played in the Super Bowls!!! LMAO!!!

Last edited:
dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not taking sides with either of you, but if there was only one way to be right in poker we might as well be playing checkers.

There are several different methods to get yourself to the winners seat. Snow seems to have a good method that is working well for him right now. But I think another thread like this, by you PO, would do everyone a great service because it gives them not only another way they could do it, but also something else to go on and add to snow's style of play if they so wish.

I don't, however, think it's right for anyone to come into this thread and tell a winning player that he/she is wrong on all or some of their style of play. I hope that there is nothing personal between you two in terms of bad blood (Lord knows that CC doesn't need any more drama). If so, please feel free to discuss it in PM's and out of the main loop where everyone has to deal with it.

But that's my two cents.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not taking sides with either of you, but if there was only one way to be right in poker we might as well be playing checkers.

There are several different methods to get yourself to the winners seat. Snow seems to have a good method that is working well for him right now. But I think another thread like this, by you PO, would do everyone a great service because it gives them not only another way they could do it, but also something else to go on and add to snow's style of play if they so wish.

I don't, however, think it's right for anyone to come into this thread and tell a winning player that he/she is wrong on all or some of their style of play. I hope that there is nothing personal between you two in terms of bad blood (Lord knows that CC doesn't need any more drama). If so, please feel free to discuss it in PM's and out of the main loop where everyone has to deal with it.

But that's my two cents.

I don't have anything against Poker Orifice.We just see things very different about most things, and I dont want a combative thread.I enjoy battleing him at the tables, but not in threads.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, great fun there! Come on peeps, take him up on this!

nomasburros

nomasburros

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would actually enjoy perspective of many different chatters strategies...but that could takes months to compile..

fact remains that we all have to get there by our own means...and nobody defeated rome without using multiple attacks...which is exactly what i have done....i take pieces from everyone....and it has brought me a few wins here at cc and many cashes.....and a very lucrative trip to vegas a few months ago.....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Um.. you actually asked me to post on here and suggested I read your thread.... so I did. Didn't mean for my comment to come off sounding negative... and actually thought it was very positive.
Don't worry.. I won't 'pollute' it with my own thoughts on poker strategy (although I thought that is what adds to a forum?.. different individuals offering up their own experience/ideas... I guess I'm wrong).