KK what would you have done pre?

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with sam1's assessment of your postflop play, though (even though his statement that it is likely that at least one of your opponents has a queen is statistically incorrect). I think that very few hands that don't have you beaten call you in this spot. You might get a call from 99, TT, or JJ but only against poor players (and I don't have a sense of what skill level you had assigned to your opponents). Having said all this, most of the time you get away with this shove because no one has a queen --- meaning that you take down the pot here.

Yeah, I suppose this is true as well. I don't know, I'm a bit on the nitty-er side, but I don't like the idea of shoving all of your chips in a tournament with the hopes that you don't get called. I guess you might get a call from JJ-99, but are obviously more likely to get called by a Q. At the same time though, if nobody has a queen then the original poster is probably going to pick up the 60,000 chips in the middle after everyone folds.

I don't know, tough spot I suppose.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is it very likely that at least one of the players has a Q ? (I believe you stated because they called the preflop 3bet).
Personally I would think just the opposite. Calling off 20% of effective stacks preflop .... because they've got a 'Q'? Q-what? AQs? < maybe .... mayyyyybe

Yeah I guess that is true. Unlikely that they have KQ as original poster has two kings. It's plausible that one of the two villains can have AQ in a tournament and want to call a 3-bet and see a flop.

My problem is you can't really get called with worse. At the same time, if nobody can call then you're gonna take down the decent preflop pot.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As PO has stated, deff some bad advice/people not reading the hh in the OP here. Starting to think CC should have an advice giving feedback thread like what exists in the staking threads, might help people avoid possbly taking bad advice.

IMO hoodookoo has probably hit the nail on the head here in regards to the action post flop (preflop is a standard line, nice 3bet and really boils down to unfortunate to have an AQ make a call for like 20% of his stack as PO stated). Post flop, well as hoodoo indicated unless you can get away from a reraise then your shove would be the correct move to get a worse pair to call or in most cases anything but the Q to fold.

Obviously very unlucky here for the QQ to hit the flop, but also as PO stated deff need more info regarding stacks and tourny buyin etc etc for more in depth possibilities here. I mean you know your not up against AA, at least IMO that would be shoving over your 3-bet pre, and anything holding a Q besides QQ should be folding pre as well.

Well played, but unlucky. Also regarding my comment on the advice feedback, I'd have to +1(million) on PO Advice.

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in pre-flop with KK sounds good, but only if you're short stack. If blinds were 1500/3000 and your stack around 100K, you should bet 3-4xBB (like you did). One player raised before you, so I guess your bet wasn't too off. Anyway when you got called and with flop like QQ7, you could have c-bet, but going all in was wrong move, imo.
On the other side player with AQ got lucky. Calling your re-raise was bad play on his part, so I uderstand why you thought no one would be holding Q.

Last edited:
Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK is only a pair. any A is better. many players call any bet with an A and if the flop is giving an A you are lost. your play was wrong. 3 big blind raise is the best.
I cannot agree with your "any A is better" comment.

Pre flop KK is 70%-30% against the best A (AK), apart from AA obviously but you did say any A.

Although being a cautious chap I would tend to agree with your 3x raise although I might have gone 4x or even 5x.

Of course if there is a re-raise they're all going in anyway.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how is there all this chat without knowing what the stack sizes are?

J

jgenest3798

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with posts separating the pre flop and post flop play - I have no issue with the preflop action, but post flop you are risking everything to only be called by a better hand. This is not a profitable play post flop - and you are still at average stack when you fold this hand to action on the turn or river.