Is it good to limp with small pocket pairs in tourneys?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if it's right or wrong to limp small pairs. I can see good arguments for both ways to play. It's hard to make it to the flop when you have aggressive players at the table. They'll tend to make you pay to try and hit your set. My logic is that if you bet without getting reraised, that might be a good way to go too. If you make your set people might not put you on it and you can reap the rewards.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
for me it depends on how many chips I have and how many my opponent has, how many players enter the play, it also depends on the reading that you have of the players

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to try to fold small pairs as much as possible. I also like to not limp as much as possible. Of course, like everyone, I do a little of both here and there. The real problem is that in a disproportionate amount of the time you aren't going to hit a set. On the other times, ie. 4 handed, you are going to hit a small set and no one else connects resulting in a small pot.

This is just generally a leak in your game. Playing passive and hope to hit a set is not where you want to be.

Jeez Karl....don't tell everyone !

I agree totally although some people don't understand or like the style.

Keep up the good work !

Good luck !

fhruhrhit

fhruhrhit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree.
OOP, and low pp is no value.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you're going to limp small pocket pairs; it needs to be part of a wholistic limping strategy. Otherweise you are just too predictable and easy to exploit.

lets pretend you want to be able to limp 22-77 that's 36 combos. You're going to want to have a certain amount of strong hands that you are limping with to offset this and some hands you can 3b bluff with when you get raised.

I've not built a wholistic limping range becuase I just don't open limp (except for sometimes button and SB in specific situations).

but an EP limping range might look like: 22-77, AA,KK, AKs, JTs, A5s, A4s

You limp with plans to fold the 22-77 and JTs. and you limp with plans to re-raise AA,KK,AK and A5s, A4s. and when facing a 4 bet you probably give up the A5s and A4s and continue with the others.

something like that.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it's okay, as long as you do it carefully and do not overdo it after seeing the flop, try to have a good reading of your opponents so you can make a good decision

E

ElRosado

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With small pairs I will usually limp depending on the icm, But Im laying down to almost any bet and Im out if I dont hit the flop. But I also have no problem with some one who says they fold them every time. My advice would be dont pick and chose either limp every time or fold it up every time. A guessing game is foolish in a game of skill.

J

jfitzg414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Define a small pair: 22 66
I only bet this if I am 89 in the rotation and bet based on position bump 3-5. early I limp not worth getting raised out

C

cbrig6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ill limp in with any pair of 6+ as long as my stack 2x those that in and if preflop raise is small. if my pot is weaker i only limp in with 8s + . But thats just me ive folded pocket 8s in both situations depending on what ive seen from the other players.

Terrell423

Terrell423

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise most of the time if there's no raise

Sergio_uy

Sergio_uy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the position we have and the stack, I like to open the game with 77+ in the early positions and I would open it to two BB looking for the rivals' limp in case of re-raise I do not discard hands like AK KQ JQ and all those cards high If the set does not come out on the flop or a two-pronged ladder project I prefer the fold or it may also happen that low cards come out and we can have the advantage. regards

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...limp early,raise late position for most but table has to be judged,stack sizes,player passive ? thanks darrell

J

JonEVegas777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Make Pocket Pairs Simple

When playing ANY pocket pairs under QQ, look at the variables many have posted here... But it comes down to post flop and IF you hit your trips, which is really all those hands are good for post-flop. The pocket pairs are a hand to "plan for" post flop and 4th st. If youre not gonna continue betting (without trips) then play them strong. If you know you'll fold to a bet after your 3's get crushed by 5's then save the chips for a better hand. Keep it simple! A tip thats saved me a lot of headache and throwing away chip leads: dont let the pretty paint on those Jacks and 10's break you.:jd4::jd4:

A

abaraks91

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate small PP

Hey,

I very rarely play small pocket pairs below 9's

The times that I do play them I'm normally stacked with chips and try to limp. I've been burned by them so many times that I just avoid them now :D

Everyone plays their own way so find your way and play it well.

Good luck, gamble responsibly :D

G

Gelidmind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limp with them sometimes looking to flop a set, sometimes I fold them, and sometimes I raise with them. It all depends on my position, my chip stack, my opponents chip stack, and where I am in the tournament or cash game. Rarely do I ever push with small pocket pairs. While I see other poker players doing this it's rarely works out for me so I try to stay away from doing it.

CarlosLemarDixon

CarlosLemarDixon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like small poker pair hold less value when you're in EP so I tend to just fold them yet certain situations when I do play them I'm going to rep and put some cash in the pot, probably against good players.
But I never open limp. Ever

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember exactly who said this but , ,,if you consider a hand good enough to play then raise it if not then fold". If you feel like you can't raise with your poket 22s but you can limp then you better fold the hand.

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All situations are different, I dont think there is one 100% correct way to play small poket pairs in BB or in anyother position or that matter. You always have to adapt to current situation. Sometimes you call, sometimes you raise, sometimes you go allin or fold. Lets say you are on the buble or near a big payjump and your opponent is very agressive and has a big stack and you know he will call your shove, maybe you should consider a fold. I the situation is reversed and you have a much biger stack you can shove and put alot of pressure on your opponent on the buble or near a payjump. Every situation is different.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to set mine with a small pocket pair 77 and under you should have at least a 30 big blind stack to make this play profitable. Because to win the pot post flop your going to have to hit it. Almost all flops will contain over cards. It won't be profitable
call after flop if you miss.

F

FergusDec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing lower stakes tourneys, I generally call and play tight. Only raise when I start to get to know patterns of other players and/or getting aggressive with a stack.

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally, if it's early I think limping can lead to huge pots where you can be confident that you are good. Just a lot of the time it depends on how many bigs your at and the structure.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello friends!!

My name is Gaurav Sharma and I always have big problem in playing small pocket pairs less than 8.

Actually, It becomes more difficult situation for me when anyone in button raise (2xBB,3xBB,4xBB) me .

So, my question is I have to limp him or raise him from big blind with small pocket pairs such as seven pocket pair.

Kindly, give me any suggestion with a solid proof. So, i can rectify this problem asap.

Thanks

:confused:

i think it will never be a good idea to limp with small pairs!

If you received a raise, and you have a comfortable stack, call, and analyze the flop.

If there was no raise, depending on how the table is playing, miniraise.

But if you are limping and there is an aggressor on your left, he will punish you and you will have to fold ;)

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I believe it is ok to limp with small pairs in most situations.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp is something you can use only a few times. 97% of the time, don't make any sense in regular 6, 8, 9 or 10 handed poker. When it comes to play FLHE, HU and 3 handed, things change little bit, so you can add to your arsenal of moves.

cferdi

cferdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have mixed feelings about small pocket pairs; sometimes I will limp , usually in late position if I feel Imay get away without a large raise behind me; almost never early. Raise? maybe, depends on the situation and the table.