Final Table Play - What Should the Goal Be?

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uhhhhh...JJ vs AK is a classic flip. If you don't think this is a flip, please give an example of a flip

There are closer flips. There's a 10% difference. 45% to 55% or something like that with AK vs JJ. Off course, the only true flip is when both players have the same hand. When you're short though, like hackmeplz said, 45% is good enough. It's either that or blind out.

Honestly, I believe it is a matter of a few different variables:1.Your stack compared to the other stacks in your "half", where the bigger stacks are located relative to you on the table, # of tournament entrants.

I agree with turtelliusshellius about position in relation to the bigger stacks. Play style will have to vary based on where the big stacks are and how they're playing. What he said about loosening up if all the big guys are on the right makes sense since they'll act before you and all the short guys are likely playing real tight.

4evertilted

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The real money is in the top three, if you are short you have to gamble some. If you are med or big avoid coin flips vss equal stacks and larger stacks.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok this helps me out a lot as im going to be play 45 man sng and 100-200 man mtt i think i should be playing for top 3 and not be afraid to take flips to get there but once at final table avoid confrontations that are with equal or larger stacks only stacks that are half of yours or lower am i catching on or no? :/

W

WizardRubic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think turtelliusshellius' post seems to be pretty spot on. Flipping a ton early on might hurt you more than it'll help. It usually isn't actually flipping though as discussed earlier. It can be +- ev based on who the opponent is.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What im wondoring is im pretry sure a large mtt to him is 200+ and a small mtt to him is 200 or less so I guess im doing everything right playing for the win... last time I was hu the pay out jumped about 10 bi...so thats why I think I should go for the win 38 bi or 28 bi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top 3 oufcorse. Better prizes and if u win u are The BEst!

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously I should want to make top 3 LOL who doesent want to make top 3 every time

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha thx everyone a small field=go for win

Big field=go for top 3 once at top 3 go for the win

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Make bubble
2. Make FT
3. Make money jump
4. Make HU
5. Win
6. Tell your friends, so they can tell you how all degenerate gamblers loose everything at some point.

-

Hahahaha!!! If I had a dollar for every time I heard #6! :D

J

jgenest3798

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres a lot of diff scenarios that affect my play at any FT but Im going with 200+ MTT. There are significant jumps in $$ starting even from 9th to 8th, but we all know the big $$ is top 3. Even as a big stack, I am not being too loose because the blinds are high and it doesn't take much to end up in the middle to bottom of the stack in chips. Position is a huge advantage for the players that know how to use it to their advantage and I am going to be paying significant attention to how every one else is playing relative to their position etc etc. I think you have to be willing to flip and win a flip to finish top 3 unless you enter the FT with a monster stack. And card dead at the FT is something you really cant overcome because you are going to have to flip them over at some point! The experience that I think pays off is knowing how to be patient and take the pay jumps from other peoples mistakes - and maximize the spots you can build your stack.

After rereading this, I am not sure how useful this is lol I think I used too many words and still didn't exactly say what I meant, but let me know if you understand what I am trying to say :)

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand but why would you not want to be too loose isnt that what it takes to make top 3? The antes are taking up about 10% of your stack and each time a player is eliminated the play should change drastically especially when it gets heads up...

J

jgenest3798

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe that loose is what gets you to top 3 - by loose I mean choosing to flip and you are behind the majority of the time. I want to flip where I am holding the pp vs AK more than vice versa. You also have to assume depending on position that any hand I decide to play is going to end up all in before we see the flop, obviously based on stacks that still have to act behind me. Most FT are roller coaster rides for the medium and big stacks, and stacks change so quickly that mentally you have to be strong enough to pick your spot with +ev. There are numerous examples of the shortest stack doubling up and riding the momentum to the win. And as I mentioned in the first post, seeing what everyone else is playing is critical to deciding who to push against.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahh...so watch what they are pushing with and counter that to be +ev