Best tournament player in the world??????

C

clarkyballs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus hasn't made a final table in over 2 years and Farha over 3 years. Sammy hasn't won an event since 1996...10 years. Farha doesn't make alot of money playing poker at all. Just because you like these guys' style of play doesn't make them good. It actually tells alot about your game. Yea, Gus had some good paydays, but you don't see all the times he gets his ass kicked in the cash games. You are wrong about this bud. And as far as comparing them to Doyle...they aren't comparable. Doyle has 60 plus years of experience in what he's doing. And his book is called super systems. And I have read it along with super systems 2. No where in those books does it advise playing the styles that Gus and Farha play. On the contraire, it talks about how to bust these types of players in depth. You should read these books. If you like other games besides hold em, you should definately read ss2.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i own SS2 and have read and reread it several times
the first, i must say i haven't got my hands on yet
are you trying to deny that these people made themselves millionaires through poker?
also, i didn't say a thing about liking their styles; all i'm saying is you can't blow them off as garbage players because of their style
people have many different styles ranging from super tight, by the book to what these guys play
you can't just knock them because they gamble

C

clarkyballs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not about being a 'gambler'. There is a fine line between being a gambler and being flat out stupid. Sure they are world class players, but they are definately bottom tier. Farha has not won millions of dollars playing poker. His only big paydays were a pl omaha win, pl omaha 3rd, and a nl main event 2nd. Over 10 years that is not very good. Plus the guy loses millions at a time in ring games. I have witnessed it. We could argue about this forever, but all you have to do is ask any pro or actually watch sammy play. Which it sounds like you haven't. I'll be out in vegas in June. I will get some quotes on tape for you. You are underestimating my knowledge. We should play sometime. Do you have a party poker account? If so let me know we can create a private table and play some 5/10 or something. I'd rather play some 2/5 nl. Let me know. I'll be here all day.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL i have no intentions of playing a match to settle an argument over other players' skills (what are you trying to do?)
I'm 99% sure you're a better player than me as i've only started playing like 2 years ago
but like you just said, they are world class players and that means that they are among the best in the world.
do you think farha made it to that PLOH win, PLOH 3rd and 2nd in NL by luck?
no, he's obviously got skill, as does Gus
they pick and choose their spots to play those hands

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
clarkyballs said:
To address the 'reading skills' point. good cards beat out reading skills %100 of the time. Oh yeah, then explain how come 666 starts drooling everytime I sit down at a table with him. Also, the Buckster is Negranu's daddy.:rolleyes:

C

clarkyballs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to play you to settle an argument. I just wanted to play you. As far as I'm concerned there is no argument. If you wanna play let me know.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Comparing Doyle and Gus is pointless. Super System does advise a lot of aggression, but equally says to be selective in the hands he plays. Doyle's said that he's tried seeing every flop, to see how he did, and that he came out in profit, but was certain he could have made more profit by playing fewer hands. Aggression is what Doyle and Gus have in common. Hand selection is the difference.
You see more success from players like Phil Helmuth, who recommend a very tight style of play for the most part, than from players like Gus.

Phil Ivey has got to be a contender for the top tournament player... and Helmuth has enough wsop bracelets to be a serious contender for the title, too.