The 5 minute break

S

slash407

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont like the breaks at all. tourneys last over 3 and a half hours, the breaks just make them longer. if you need to leave the computer you can just sit out for a few.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Five minutes every hour is perfect for me. Any less wouldn't seem like a break and any longer would be unnecessary.

BigSlickBaby

BigSlickBaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would have been nice to see a poll go along with this thread. Anyway, I think 7 or 10 minutes would be perfect. 5 is ok, but it's a tad brief.

V

V6mitg6rewh6re

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On bovada if you play one table "which I don't " the 5 min break is fine but if you multi tourneys , and since I play on bovada the breaks aren't synched so basically if you multi table tourneys your almost guranteed no break this is a problem but normally, 5 mins isn't enough I think it should be 5 mins for first 3-4 hours then after that 10 mins for remainder of tourney when you play live tourneys you have lunch break dinner break etc so ya

Jull30

Jull30

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
as for me, 5 minutes is enough when you play 10-15 minutes between blyde

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
lol

The five minute break, too long? too short? or just right? The break can be something you look forward to either when you need to stretch your legs or get a snack. sometimes the break seems like it isnt going to be long enough for instance when nature calls and the entire time your in the bathroom your staring at the clock on your phone or maybe you just bring the laptop in with you \. However more often in not (for me) I find the break too long and this happens when I have nothing to do during the break I just find myself staring at the break timer every time astounded at how five minutes can last so long. it seems to be a rare occasion that the five minutes comes at the right time and ends perfectly when your ready to start playing again. What is your thoughts on these breaks? (Yes I'm glad they have em "sometimes")

Lol watching the Break clock at times can be deadly!
Feels more like a half hour when you wanna just play.
But sometimes 5 mins is not enough for me.
I think 10 min is good for the...
Deeper stack/blind level/forever long rebuy-entry games
Everything else 5 is perfect.
Lol imagine a 10 mintue Break :eek: :goodnight

Crash0veride

Crash0veride

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5min is just right. Half of the time the whole table will ready check before its even up. Even if you don't feel like you have anything to do its nice to get up and walk around for a bit.

P

paulox732

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5 minutes is so short, i cant lunch in 5 minutes for example

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Five Minute Break

During the five minute break, I rush into the kitchen, check the frig, refill my coke glass, a few other things and then rush back to the computer. Usually I have a few second to spare.

Once, I was late getting back and my hand was folded. Had pocket KKs. Don't know if I would have won, but it would have been nice to find out.

Oh! I read some where that it takes the average person 8 minutes to eat their lunch/dinner. Don't know where I read it, or if it is true.

As far as the15 minute break, that is way too long.

mike

P

poker8989

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars the break is 5min right...
I think 5min so the right time, but when you have playing are game 4 - 5 hours an the break is after 1 hours it well like long time 5min yeah i don't anywas i think 5min i right :)

J

jano333

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It should be progressive in large tournaments like first break 5 minutes, second also, third 10 minutes etc. (well not really progressive but kind of)

sandund

sandund

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not enough for a a small cylinder of finely cut tobacco.

aaryan22

aaryan22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5mins break every hour is pretty cool and maybe another 15 mins break when we have only last 100/1000 left, depending upon the tourney structure!

martymart48

martymart48

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 minutes break is perfect for me.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the scheme each hour 5 minutes of break obsolete. Must follow new scheme this 75 min game and 10min break, it would be much optimally.
What do you think about this ??

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The beauty of having five minute breaks every hour is that they can be synchronized, in some cases, across multiple sites. The truth is that I haven't played on Stars or Tilt in so long that I don't remember if their breaks occur on the hour or five minutes before the hour. On most sites, tournaments start hourly, for the most part. So the breaks occur at five minutes before. That means that if I'm playing multiple tournaments, I can count on them all going on break at the same time, allowing me to plan snack and bathroom breaks accordingly.

S

Sidesteal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
seems ok most of the time

I hate when I'm low stack about to make a move and the break comes. It's like damn I gotta wait another 5 minutes to lose. Yeah, but besides that it seems like a good amount of time to get something to eat, drink, and use the bathroom. lol

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
The beauty of having five minute breaks every hour is that they can be synchronized, in some cases, across multiple sites. The truth is that I haven't played on Stars or Tilt in so long that I don't remember if their breaks occur on the hour or five minutes before the hour. On most sites, tournaments start hourly, for the most part. So the breaks occur at five minutes before. That means that if I'm playing multiple tournaments, I can count on them all going on break at the same time, allowing me to plan snack and bathroom breaks accordingly.

Stars and Tilt have synchronised breaks at 5 mins to the hour.

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a 10 to 15 minute break would be better.

C

ChrisPieaki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how long the tourney takes, says it takes 12 hours then i want a way longer 1

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if they're going to have 5 minute breaks they should be synchronised. It's a nuisance when you're playing 8 sngs or tourneys and the five minute break starts after this hand as it means you may only have a minute or so if you're lucky with the staggering of them. I know that this would mean leaving hands up in the air... but at least you'd get five minutes from away from your monitors

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how long the tourney takes, says it takes 12 hours then i want a way longer 1

I hear what you're saying. Ten or twelve hours is a long time to be sitting there playing. When you say you want the breaks to be way longer, I would have to ask exactly what you mean by that.

If you're saying longer breaks at longer intervals, for instance, a fifteen minute break every two hours, I might be in agreement. If you're saying you would like to take a ten or fifteen minute break every hour, I would have to point out that longer breaks mean that the tournament will take that much longer to play out.

When you've been card dead for the last fifteen minutes and have to use the bathroom, but are afraid that the moment you leave the table you will get dealt the first good hand you've seen in some time, that last ten minutes before the break can seem like an eternity. When you're in the zone, catching cards, playing and running good, fifty-five minutes can go by like no time at all. So if you're suggesting longer breaks every hour, I would have to disagree. As it is, by the time you get into the third hour of a four or five hour tourney, the majority of players are ready to do away with breaks all together. Even in a twelve hour tournament with ten minute breaks every hour, I think a lot of players would be sick of taking breaks and ready to just get on with it after about eight hours.

Again, twelve hours is a long time to be sitting there playing poker. In a tournament that can be expected to last that long it might make sense to have five minute hourly breaks, or fifteen minute breaks every other hour, with one long break, maybe half an hour, in the middle. Other than that, I would think that a five minute break every hour would be quite sufficient unless the interval between breaks was also increased.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are times when I love the break, if I need a refill on beer or need to go to bathroom, but for the most part I do not like the break, especially if everyone wants to play. The only times there should be a break is every two hours!! Just like the major tournaments. To each his own....