Metrics of Basketball

miller00

miller00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hi everyone! I've been trying to get a better understanding of basketball statistics and player measurements, especially when they're presented in different units. For example, how do you all convert player heights from feet and inches to centimeters, or vice versa?
Also, how do you think these conversions impact our understanding of a player's physical presence on the court?"

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never tried to translate units of measurement for better understanding. After all, then you will have to find out the data of all the players. It is very long and difficult. The figures should visually confirm the physical data. I am considering the human build on the court relative to his opponent playing in the same position.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi everyone! I've been trying to get a better understanding of basketball statistics and player measurements, especially when they're presented in different units. For example, how do you all convert player heights from feet and inches to centimeters, or vice versa?
Also, how do you think these conversions impact our understanding of a player's physical presence on the court?"
I bet a lot on the NBA, but height is far from the most important metric by which to judge a player's level. You need to understand each player's potential and how he affects team results, not measure his height. The Boston Celtics had such a player - Tacko Fall. A man with incredible physical potential, but absolutely no skills. :poop:

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Well, a foot is roughly 30.5 cm and an inch is 2.54 cm. Modern NBA is an era of highly skilled tall players. Best (most valuable) players currently are 7 feet tall versatile players with a skill set of a guard, forward and center combined such as Nikola Jokic, Joel Embiid, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Chet Holmgren, Alperen Sengun. And there are only few much smaller highly valuable players (MVP contenders) such as Luca Doncic, Steph Curry.