Do you pay attention to player nicknames online?

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It would be interesting to create statistics and find out if the same nicknames always reach good places
I emphasize nicknames because we don't know what they really are

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I have watched Daniel Negreanu's game several times on the internet and I see him as an ordinary player because internet poker is set up in such a way that even a star like Negreanu can't do anything there

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
At first I tried but there are too many players. Especially in micro/low tournaments. What I do regularly is mark how each person plays.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Of course, username can be a fish tell
If I see a fishy username hopefully combined with a short stack then I will sit down. Example username: liverpool4ever
This player is a fish and probably stumble over from sportsbetting

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Rarely.

I notice how they play instead.

But a player named loose-fish69 is probably not loose or fishy.

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
No, I don't take any notes, I just watch my opponents and try to play my game.

There are good online players and good live players as well as a few who can do both well and as far as Daniel is concerned I think he is a better live player but you should never underestimate a professional.

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
No, i don't think that nicknames are important to read online poker players

What i do always is mark how each person plays

C

Cisne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When they are nice-to-read nicknames, yes, when they are ineligible names full of letters and numbers in the middle of the word, for example: XDGR45h. No

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I don't particularly pay attention.
Of course, I knew the regular players at my level, and if there was cartel activity, I also followed them, otherwise I don't look at nicknames.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Not really, most names are randomly chosen, therefore not very informative.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
yes i try to so that i can remember how they play...agressive...bluff etc

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in tournaments there are many players and it is not very common to always find them, but in cash I see many players who always play and I give them their note.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
good players always win prizes and play good cards and win often, while bad players rarely win prizes because of luck and sometimes even reach the finals. But if you look at strong players for a long time, they do it all the time, but weak players lose more

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I do my best to try too having a HUD takes a lot of that pressure to do so all the time off though specially playing micro/low stakes where there's just so many players. Their stats and actually how they play is more important. How much can you get from a screen name anyways? I know a number of guys like me who pick crazy screen names and images just make other players think they play way looser and crazier then they actually do. Fun fact it actually does work if the player's don't use HUD's or pay attention.

I'll also take notes. PT4 takes it own notes on players as well.

For MTT's I use the pokerstars color schemes. Also notes and HUD. Micro stakes $1-$4 is one color because overall most the players play a similar style and have similar tendencies. $5-$11 is a another color same reasons....etc...etc.... This helps me when it comes to exploiting players. You gotta exploit a $5-$11 MTT player different then you would a $1-$4 MTT player etc.....

Cheers!!!

sabir

sabir

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nicknames at a poker table mean nothing.

in your usual gaming table only the remarks and notes on the players which can help you determine the level of your opponent.

Over time, some fish that I have tagged have learned and improved there game and we are always obliged to redefine a new status for them in Lag or NIT etc.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do, but just because I think some of them are hilarious. It's much better to keep track of their statistics, although obviously both of them are related.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Sometimes. Some names are funny, some claim great achievements, but in fact the games achieve little

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I try to remember nicknames and what style of poker they play ,funny nicknames are easier to remember

MTT Database Review

MTT Database Review

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CZ
Chips
You can get info from the country flag, but you should focus on different things than the actual nickname. Sure some regs might put some advanced poker joke in there, but thats not gonna be many. Hud stats, sharkscope results, google them at least if they are blocked on sharkscope or country flag, that can give you some info.
And just to be clear, there arent really good/bad or aggressive/tight countries (although brazil.... :D ) but its mostly about how rich they are. If you are playing higher stakes tournament or cash game and there is someone from western Europe, canada, Japan, Taiwan... then there is a good chance its a recreational just happily punting around in the $530. If its someone from poorer country, its most likely a reg because recreationals there are playing cheaper tournaments for fun.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I don’t mean it. You shouldn’t choose nicknames for poker that will be understandable, and therefore well remembered, by foreign players. There are quite a lot of them and, admittedly, they play well in order to use the knowledge of your gaming techniques against you. The same applies to avatars - you shouldn’t choose a flag or your photo as an avatar, something neutral is better. And when you become famous, every poker player will know your nickname and avatar, regardless of how memorable it is.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No you can change your name all the time so you could be anybody want by name.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes at times.. People are very creative with their names..

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. There are a few clever one no doubt but would not much attention to them.