thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, when I started playing poker at the end of 2018, I already heard about the importance of taking notes on opponents, I just didn't know it was so important.
Poker is a people's game and the more information you have on the players the better it will be for decision making.
On 06/25/2023, I nabbed the Card $300, the notes I had from the player who played heads-up with me was decisive for me to win this tournament.
In cash game it is also very important the notes as a general rule vs recreational players medium hands are enough to make high profits vs regular players stronger is needed

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course notes are very important. It's a lot easier to play against someone you know something about than a completely unknown player.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The benefit taking of notes! I can to say only one by this case: I fully agree with this sentence! And, of course, I'm doing the notes also!..
Because information is very important in Poker, as and in Life by the way!

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
After I make a note about my opponent's style, I want to make a few more important notes about some specific aspects of his game, but I keep all this in my head, without notes. And since you have decided to write notes, then do it as simply and clearly as possible.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Good morning everyone, when I started playing poker at the end of 2018, I already heard about the importance of taking notes on opponents, I just didn't know it was so important.
Poker is a people's game and the more information you have on the players the better it will be for decision making.
On 06/25/2023, I nabbed the Card $300, the notes I had from the player who played heads-up with me was decisive for me to win this tournament.
In cash game it is also very important the notes as a general rule vs recreational players medium hands are enough to make high profits vs regular players stronger is needed

View attachment 336263
Hello brother @ thwenth1983 good day.
Well first of all congratulations!!!
I was also at that final table, if I remember correctly you were to my left.
In truth, I had never played against you, and you are already tagged kkkkk you play very well.
You have a style that I feel comfortable with because I play quite similar to you.
You are calm, passive when you should be, and aggressive when you should be.
I always say that you always have to respect the one with the biggest stack at a table, because for some reason he has the biggest stack, not by chance.
And yes, I'm glad my post has served to make you feel reflected in it with your victory.
If the notes served you in the end heads-up, it means that those of us who take notes are not so wrong.
A huge hug and continue the good successes
Carlos:):):)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Of course notes are very important. It's a lot easier to play against someone you know something about than a completely unknown
Hello brother
It is true notes labels all information is useful.
Greetings:):):)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The benefit taking of notes! I can to say only one by this case: I fully agree with this sentence! And, of course, I'm doing the notes also!..
Because information is very important in Poker, as and in Life by the way!
Hello brother @alemán629
What you say is true, all information is essential even for life itself.
And oddly enough, the person who has an attitude in life reflects it in poker.
To cite an example. The anxious person in life is anxious in poker. You often realize the state of anxiety that players have, especially this is seen a lot in MTT Ko, where in many cases it makes me angry, because even if you take notes on a player and you know that he is a bingo player, This does not mean that you have AA and he can beat you with any vegetable.
My regards, brother:):):)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
After I make a note about my opponent's style, I want to make a few more important notes about some specific aspects of his game, but I keep all this in my head, without notes. And since you have decided to write notes, then do it as simply and clearly as possible.
Hello brother @dreamer13
If as you say, I do the same.
At the level that I play, the notes are useful to me, but in truth many times I would prefer to memorize.
But it happens that there are so many players that somehow I have to collect information from them.
Yes, and they are specific notes. Opening hands, allins in positions, calls with what cards, and believe it or not there is a label that I use that is the purple color, which is the one I use to identify the kite player. That player who allins you with any card from any position, who reraises without meaning, and lots of bluffs. I thought there were not so many of these, but in truth there are many more than one thinks. I'm talking about playing in microlimits. I believe that in high limits this situation should be different.
My regards, brother:):):)

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
A more detailed way of marking players is to separate them by level, so you have good regulars, weak regulars, recreationals, and very weak players. With these labels we can have an idea of the player profile we are facing and adapt our ranks and strategy accordingly.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hi @nameless
It may be so.
I do not classify players as weak, very weak, recreational, etc.
I label the players as limps, serial payers, bingoers or bluffers, firm and very strong.
In this last category I only make one exception, I rate the Ukrainian and German players as firm, because they have a very firm game, and I take note of it.

aurora1207

aurora1207

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Personally I've never taken notes but I see that it's a good habit that allows you to know how your opponent plays and take the advantage against him when you face him one day.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello @aurora1207
Yes friend is like that.
What I do is when I play MTT, let's say in good weather, I take great care to take specific notes on what kind of opponent I'm facing.
When I play MTT turbo or hyperturbo, there I almost always tag by category.
Greetings friend:):):)

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It is very important to make notes; otherwise you pay for your negligence... You can also take notes and still ignore a player...

Last night I made such a mistake (neglect): I marked the player as tight, however I ignored the note and paid the price (- 1/2bb of the stack)... :(

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is very important to make notes; otherwise you pay for your negligence... You can also take notes and still ignore a player...

Last night I made such a mistake (neglect): I marked the player as tight, however I ignored the note and paid the price (- 1/2bb of the stack)... :(
Do not worry brother.
That error is also quite common in me hahahah
Although I'm getting better little by little

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
no time for me to take notes . i prefer tagging them with a color , different colors for fish , pros colluders and bots
Hello brother
What you say is true, sometimes MTTs don't give you time.
That being the case, it is better to label them

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I used to take notes until before a couple of years an error appeared which closes the platform everytime I try since then. Good thing I don't play as much as I used to. Notes help but it can be a trap if you rely just on them.
I took notes. I had many players described and marked. Unfortunately, after one of the updates, I lost them all (it is possible that it happened after reinstalling the application - I don't remember exactly). It was a huge loss for me because the notes help me a lot in making decisions. After this happened, I created a special directory on my computer where I kept my notes (I recommend doing this to anyone who is serious about playing poker).​
At first my notes file was around 300-400kb. Today it is 20516kb.
Creating a backup copy of notes has one more advantage: When I play on another computer - I can simply replace the notes file with the one I have on the main computer I play on (thanks to this, I already have the players described on the new device).
The file of notes is one of my greatest treasures. I play freerolls on poker stars - there are about 1000 players in the morning to even 2500 players in the afternoon and evening - But after the ADD-on phase I always meet 100 to 150 players - and they are usually the same people.
(previously the first freeroles on Poker Stars started at 10.20 am GMT+1 - from today I see that they start at 17.00 GMT+1... why???)

Ps.
I wrote to Poker Stars support to let them take notes on mobile devices and integrate notes so that notes taken on the computer would also be loaded into my account on the mobile device. In general, I asked them to create a solution that would enable taking notes on mobile devices, because at the moment the only option is color coding. I hope they take this seriously as I see fewer and fewer players on their servers. Unfortunately for them - their competitor GG Poker allows you to take notes on mobile devices, and additionally they have a wider range of colors to mark players - a seemingly imperceptible fact for many players - and in my opinion it is very important. I'll end the post here because I don't want to write an essay and I still have a few things to add :):)

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I don't take notes because I know strong players by sight.
know me??? hehehe We don't play too much together and I am not strong but I will be the strongest hope:):)

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
try HUD, it will change everything.
Do mean GG Poker HUD? I play most at pokerstars (two days ago I was close to close my account because of Tilt, but I did'n) I dont have a HUD at Poker Stars. More over three days ago some player wrote my something about my winnig statistics. I can't sleep because of that and try to find answer: "Where and how he got my statisctics. I don't have access to my statistics.
So... I will be very grateful for the answer to the question that has been keeping me awake for several days.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hi, I think is good recommendations but in online there are a lot of players and is hard to have notes from players or maybe you use some tools to do that?.
I agree - there are lot of players. And it is difficult to marke them all. More difficult is take notes about all of them.
Recently, I accidentally discovered that when I open a specific table (one I don't play on), I can later see what the game looked like on that table. From then on I try to open as many tables until I get the message: "you cannot follow more tables". Then I look through the hands.
Additionally, I have ready-made phrases prepared in my notebook. For example: UTG-limp (for me it means one of two things: either someone is a novice, or someone has such a good hand that they want to encourage as many players as possible to put money into the pot. The note helps me decide whether I will raise or fold this limp because I know it's a trap)
Some of my notes:
Of course, UTG/MID/CUT-OFF/BUT Rx2/Rx3 PPF (etc) - means the breakout value before FLOP.
Does he defend his Small Blinds and Big Blinds.
Alinn PPF - of course, the hands with which the player goes ALL in - of course, the position from which he does it is of great importance.
I mark players in freerolls differently from those playing in buy-in tournaments.
Zoom/cash players - this is my goal now - I can sit for 2-3 hours (or even more) and watch the players (unfortunately only one table), because I plan to take up the cash game challenge soon. I want to be as prepared as possible so that I don't have to pay to find out that someone playing ALL-In after the FLOP has the nuts.
I also note statistics on how many players are online at a given time of day (day of the week, time of day). I believe that if someone is there from morning to night - starts playing in freeroll at 10.20, and later I see him in freeroll, e.g. Paciffic Warm Up - then I think that, like me, he is trying his luck almost 24 hours a day.
I emphasize once again that my notes are one of the most valuable things I have.
Another advantage of observing and taking notes is that I learn a lot from the best. Thanks to this, I improve my game every day.
I want to be a good player and I dedicate myself to it one hundred percent. I have been playing poker for much less time than I have been a member of the forum. (I have been playing for almost one year, but during this year I had a break of about 8 months in total without playing) My game lasts only a dozen or so weeks. However, since my partner became terminally ill (since November 16, 2023 - by the way, on my 41st birthday, because my birthday is on November 17 - we received a gift such as a cancer diagnosis), I have been forced to stay at home during the day and take care of her, so I decided to devote a little more time to playing poker.
Hope You also will share Your notes secrets because I want to make my notes better and better.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I use it quite a bit. I think it's important to know some of the plays your opponents make.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
The only problem I have with color labelling. I forget which color means what. Haha.
You must prepare a colour legend and have a cheat sheet close to You during playing.
I'm just working on the player color categories. Tight players, players who make traps, but I wanted to emphasize that one color is reserved for otherworldly players with superhuman abilities - it is my favorite Green colour, and it is reserved only for CardsChat members :alien: Most of You are marked Green :):) and when I see "Green Player" i alwayse try to write on chat some nice regards to them.

Grzegorz00pl

Grzegorz00pl

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Hello brother @JeffSBrito
That's exactly the idea
See a pattern of play of the opponent.
Yesterday one of our friends told me that it is difficult because over time they improve their game and it is true.
But in general the pattern of play, unless they get too much better studying poker or things like that, is generally always the same.
The passive, if he reraises you late, have no doubts that they have AA KK QQ from there it doesn't come out, with AKs they callimp.
There are many who go strong with AKs, but by not clicking the A or K in showdown they end up going all-in because they lose the pot, with 22 I have paid them firmly and I have beaten them several times.
And plays like this, everyone in general has a pattern of play.
When you play higher levels there it is already different. More or less all the players have an interesting game pattern, there you already have to try to find the recreational and passive ones, these are very easy to find, they clean up every hand they find. And if they go allin to you they will surely beat you, if it is not with the nuts they never go allin.
Greetings brother, I congratulate you for taking data from the players.
A hug:):):)

I wanted to thank You @jonaselloco. Today I realized again how much learning I still have ahead of me.
First of all, I would like to correct what I wrote, because thanks to You, I discovered that at Poker Stars you don't have only 8 suits, as I was thinking till that moment! The new colours can be added and edited using the color palette. (Now I realize how much I embarrassed myself by writing about it)
I'm also sure I'm entering the game with too wide a range of starting hands. Thanks to You, my friend - my notes are reaching a higher level!
(...but I'm starting to fear that I won't have enough life to reach the level I dream of 😢)

Thank You All! Thank You CardsChat Forum!

Attachments

• notes edit.jpg
    notes edit.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 2
R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
The advantage of taking notes is that when you fall with a marked opponent, you already have a basic notion of how he plays, and this will help you in a pre flop and post flop game against that player and this will influence what you take the best decisions in this hand.